How do you use up eggs?

Good point about the milk. I don't even look at the date on mind, we drink it until it's gone. It rarely goes off unless bought from a corner shop and sometimes it's in there for 2 weeks. I can't do that with yoghurts though, i have this unrational image/idea of all the bacteria (good or bad) growing and invisably swimming around in there! (that doesn't make me sound crazy at all....)

Lol i dont know what corner shop you shop at but that gives us a bag name. I own a chain of shops and my milk is fresh every morning and sold out that day i think most good small shops in the uk have fresher milk than supermarkets

Good point about the milk. I don't even look at the date on mind, we drink it until it's gone. It rarely goes off unless bought from a corner shop and sometimes it's in there for 2 weeks. I can't do that with yoghurts though, i have this unrational image/idea of all the bacteria (good or bad) growing and invisably swimming around in there! (that doesn't make me sound crazy at all....)

Yep, eaten loads of eggs out of date...I do the water test. If I am unsure, I crack it open into a separate bowl and look/smell.

Bakewell Tarts use a lot of eggs and they are yummy.

I'm baking some meringue today.

Yeah I don't often pay attention to the date on eggs either, they're usually ok a few days after the use by date. I'd use it as an excuse to make lots of cakes though, or pancakes/omelettes.

I've used eggs 4 weeks out of date before for baking. Just opened each one carefully and smelt them - you know when an egg is off! only 1 out of 12 was.

that was nearly 2 years ago though as we now have our own hens so i don't have to buy eggs.

This was in the news today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24305902

It was just a comment, and my opinion. Do you jump on everyone who has an opinion about something? I don't see any supermarket employees/managers jumping down the throats of potential customers, because they make a negative comment on their experience of service or produce. It would be different if i'd started a rant about how much i hate corner shops, but i didn't.

I meant no offence to anyone, i don't know, or really care which shop has the freshest milk in England, but in my experience (living in several different areas in the past 10 years) i have bought milk on numerous occassions that didn't last long and had to be thrown away (regardless of date)from at least 5 different corner shops that i can think of off the top of my head. It wasn't some underhanded comment, and just because you don't like it, doesn't make it unture. I wasn't out to give anyone's business a bad name, but i'm entitled to share my experience!

I'm so tired of mentioning things that are written in a lighthearted, ordinary, everday, and/or innocent way, to have someone come along, pick it apart, and imply it meant otherwise. I feel that the list of topics where i'm not allowed to share my opinion or experience is becoming endless.

Thanks for everyone's replies on this, it has been really helpful to me.

Gone off eggs smell like sulphur (farts)! I never look at the dates and can guarantee I have used eggs 3 or more weeks out of date - never been ill.

They taste proper fishy too! You really know if your egg is bad.
Though to use them up I'd probably boil and pickle them. Can't beat pickled eggs :D

not read all the ither replies.. but i use eggs way pass the use by date.. as i do with all foods. lol

but to use them up i hard boil them then use them in sandwiches.

scrambled egg on toast

cakes

pancakes & freeze them

What about egg mayonnaise for something different in your sandwiches? :)

They make great hair and face masks. Check Pinterest for ideas? I often use a beaten egg warmed up on my hair and then wrap it in cling film.

Ohhhhh we have some eggs might try this Thanks :flower:

thanks for this, i always wondered, glad i am not alone

I'm going to use some of my old eggs today, they aren't floating yet lol. When i checked them i noticed they had a 'best before' date rather than a 'use by' and came across this on the NHS website.

Best before

"Best before" dates appear on a wide range of frozen, dried, tinned and other foods.

"Best before" dates are about quality, not safety. When the date is passed, it doesn't mean that the food will be harmful, but it might begin to lose its flavour and texture.

Eggs can be eaten after their "best before" date as long as they are cooked thoroughly until both yolk and white are solid, or if they are used in dishes where they will be fully cooked such as a cake.

Cooking eggs until both the white and yolk are solid will kill any bacteria, such as salmonella. People who are in "at-risk" groups should only eat eggs, or food containing eggs, that have been thoroughly cooked. These groups include:

babies and toddlers
elderly people
pregnant women
people who are already unwell

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member