How far along were you when you had your first ultrasound?

lcmorla

Reaction score
I am 8 weeks,4 days. On Monday, I had my first maternal care appt and had an orientation. My first actual appt is on the 30 when I will be 11 weeks. I was really hoping to get an ultrasound but nurses told me my first ultrasound will be at 20 weeks in December and that is when I'll know the sex of the baby. They also mentioned how an ultrasound isn't neccessary at the moment but I really just wanted to see my baby. It's going to cost me $500 out of pocket since my insurance won't cover it :(

I'll be 10w2d at my first u/s. I'll then get one at 20w. And one more in the third trimester.

Can you find any business in the area that does them? I know there are some places that do just private ultrasounds for around $100-$150

I had mine at 5 weeks 3 days probably because I did IVF. My insurance always covered my ultrasounds. I'm surprised they wait 20 weeks!

My other two pregnancies I had us at 6 wks, 12 wks, 20 wks, then at the end at my dues date
I'm going to a diff OB this last pregnancy and I will get one at 8 wks... And I don't know from there.... I now the 20 wk one but I'm not sure if any more...
Waitin is hard, bless your heart!

I had mine at 6 weeks because I was spotting and I did it privately from my own pocket. I can't wait until 20 weeks to do u/s. Baby gender can be detected as early as 12 weeks if the baby is in the right position but mostly at 16 weeks.

Wow that is so strange.. My dr does one around 8 weeks for dating, then you have the option of having one at 12/13 weeks for an NT scan, the anatomy scan is between 18 and 20 weeks then they do one at 30 weeks for growth and presentation. (So 3 routine scans and an optional one)

I would ask about the NT scan. It's done around 12 weeks and can give you valuable information about chromosomal abnormalities, too. I'm surprised they didn't even offer it. I will say, mine was very expensive according to my insurance claim center ($3200 after the insurance discount), so that's not one you'd want to pay out of pocket if you can avoid it.

I had one at 10 weeks, but it wasn't standard. My midwife tried to find the heartbeat on doppler at my first appointment at 9 weeks, and she could tell I was worried when she couldn't find it (even though it's normal at that point), so she offered me a dating scan for reassurance. If you don't need a dating scan, the next one is the NT scan at most practices.

I hope you can figure something out. The waiting would drive me crazy!

I had my first one today at 7 weeks. I go back in at 11 weeks for my next one, but I've had previous problems. My sisters never got scans until 12 weeks. Its strange that you can't get one till 20 weeks. I'd double check with a different Dr office maybe.

My first was at 5 weeks 4 days and I've had several.
However with dd my first was at 20 weeks.

I had 6 ultrasounds from about 6 weeks to 12 weeks but I do have a history of miscarriage and also had a few lots of spotting so that's why so many but they were all free not using my insurance. My friends normally get given one at 6 weeks for dating then 12 weeks and then again at 20 all free but that's in Australia maybe different where you live? 20 weeks seems a long time to have to wait though.

Here we have private medical aid that usually pays for 4 but you would have one at your doc every month to monitor growth most docotrs will only charge for what the medical aid pays and rest are free.. First one usually between 7 and 9 weeks.. Here you call your doc make an appointment and then go once a month till third trimester then its every two weeks till about 8 months then weekly till birth.. Sometimes i feel Africa is really advanced with its private medical care compared to other countries.. Also midwives are not very common here, i dont know anyone who has used one, I also think we have one of the worlds highest rates of Caesarean births..

I had a dating scan at 8w3d and turned out I was right on for my dates! Mine was free under our healthcare system.

$500 though ouch that's painful :( :(

I've had one at 7 weeks and one at 8 weeks. Will have another at 10 and then 12. My OB/GYN has a transvaginal ultrasound machine in every exam room and does it himself. My last OB/GYN was the same - either she or her RN did the ultrasound.

I'll be 12w 3d for my first one. It's for the NT screening but it's still an ultrasound! It's next Friday :)

I just had my first u/s at 6w4d. It was my very first visit to the dr (just moved to the area and switched docs), so I wasn't expecting her to do an u/s, just maybe talk and draw blood. She basically took my word that I was pg (I'd only had confirmation from home tests), and did an u/s right away.

My first was 6w3d, then 8w3d, that's it now til 20 weeks.

Since 12 weeks I'm using my private health and not going public and the Obstetrician has an ultrasound machine in her room so she does one every time you see her and I think people usually go once a month and then later every 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->