How long do people keep bottles in the fridge??

helen0381

Mummy to Jack and TTC#2!
Reaction score
As above, for people that are making the bottles up in advance, how long do you leave them for? Some people say 12 hours, others say 24 hours??

We are confused! :blush:

24hrs at the BACK of the fridge NOT the door, as the door is the warmest part of the fridge :)

How long do you cool them for before putting in the fridge? I am new to formula feeding and have been making bottles as needed but LO is not happy about having to wait!

I just put them in the sink of cold water to cool them to tepid and then put them in the fridge - doesn't take longer than 20 mins or so. Its mainly because its bad for the fridge to have things that are too hot in it (it has to work harder) rather than it being bad for the formula (as far as I am aware).

Hi I have been told that you have to make when needed then throw away after an hour if any left after feed. my poor LO hates having to wait and we hate having to listen to his crying it upsets us.

my midwife said not to make any up inadvance as bad for baby. it is also on the sides of the tins it says If advanced preperation is necessary consult your healthcare professional

But I can not see why this is such a problem as we also have the SMA bottles premade up for when we are out and about (they cost a fortune) and the ready made cartons. surly this is the same as me making up feeds.

"Feeds should never be stored for longer than 24 hours although this length of time is no longer considered ideal, especially for young babies. It is always safer to make up a fresh feed whenever possible. "

Got that from https://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_084165.pdf

It says they recommend you make the feeds up fresh but you can keep them in the fridge for up to 24 hours if needed. I keep mine in the fridge for that long x

do any of you make up a feed and take it out with you, e.g. shopping and give it to LO after a couple of hours???

I think I am odd:wacko: I only put the sterilised water in the fridge and add the formula just before warming the bottle.

When I take the wee one out I do the same, I have a small tub and a spare scoop and I just make the bottle up as I am out :blush: yep I am weird

do any of you make up a feed and take it out with you, e.g. shopping and give it to LO after a couple of hours???

Yeah I've got a little cool bag which keeps it cold for about 4 hours. You can get mini ice packs too, I haven't got any myself but I think these can keep the milk cooler for a bit longer x

I think I am odd:wacko: I only put the sterilised water in the fridge and add the formula just before warming the bottle.

When I take the wee one out I do the same, I have a small tub and a spare scoop and I just make the bottle up as I am out :blush: yep I am weird

I used to do it this way too then I realised that the powder isn't sterile so I changed the way I made up bottles. It never did him any harm at all having them made up that way, I just completely panicked when I realised! A lot of ladies do it that way x

You're not weird, I do this too!!!
I do 4 bottles at a time (as I only have 4 bottles! plus only 4 will fit in steriliser at once!) so have to clean and sterillise only twice a day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->