How long was your second labour compared to first? I'm worried because....

fudgecake251

Reaction score
I have been confirmed as GBS+ so need to get to the hospital as soon as labour starts. My problem being is I already have a son so I will need to wait for my mum to get round to look after him (this should only be around 10 mins), and my birth with my son was only 4hrs 50 mins from start to finish. I think you need at least 4hrs of the antibiotics into your system to know that you are covered by it, and I have a feeling I'm going to get nowhere near this. I'm just wondering if all of your second labours were much shorter than your first?

my first labour was over 24 hours and second was 8 hours from first contraction to her coming out. I generally labours do get quicker but if u aim to head to hospital at the first signs (even if it turns out to be a false alarm) then u should be ok xx

I'm popping over from 2nd Tri, I know I've got a bit to go yet. With my DD it was 5 days slow labour and 12 hours established labour. With DS it was 1hr and 40 mins from start to finish. I've opted for a home birth this time because i've moved house and my nearest hospital is 40mins - 1hr away. x

My first labour was 4 hours 8 mins and my second was 2 hours 12 mins.

Mine were both almost the same, if not, my second was a lil longer

I am GBS+ First labour 4 hours active approx. Got abs in 2.5-3 hours before delivery but all was fine.
This time 3 hours active, although i did phone them a bit earlier in the day when i was having mild contractions, to ask about the abs as I'd had a previous fast labour. They said to wait until they were properly estalished at over a minute long and close together, and that there would definitely be plenty of time to get the abs in after that point. I sorted dinner, had a bath, got out, was suddenly in full blown labour. By the time we got to the hospital and they'd checked my cervix, i was already 6cm, got my abs line in ASAP and I gave birth an hour after they'd gone in.
Stayed in for 12 hours obs as a result, but all was well.

Ps. Fast delivery = less exposure, so a smaller risk apparently!

If your labor starts during the day, you could have your mom meet you at the hospital to get your LO :)

I am also gbs+ and my first labour was 7 hours. I had a meeting at the local maternity unit yesterday to see if I can still go to the midwife led unit and she discussed lots about labour with gbs. She did say that they wont start the antibiotics until I am in established labour (4cm ish) as otherwise I could be in false labour and it could start stop for days and they can't keep starting to give me antibiotics only for my labour to stop. With my last labour I went from 1cm to full dialated in about three/two and a half hours in which case I won't get my antibiotics in time if I have a similar labour. Hope that all makes sense and helps. I hadn't realised before this meeting they wouldn't start antibiotics until four centimetres, I thought they would start at first signs of labour.

my first labor was 16 hours, my second (this past friday) was 15 hrs 46 minutes... not much of a differnce

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->