How many centimeters dilated for water to break?

PugMama22

Reaction score
Last time I was pregnant I was dilated to 3 cm for a few weeks before giving birth. When I started having contractions on my due date we checked in to the hospital and was 6cm dilated but my water hadn't broke and the contractions were weak. They decided to break my water and start pitocin (induction), got an epidural and delivered my 8lbs 5oz boy by 11pm that night. It was very pleasant and easy for me.

Now That I'm getting closer to my due date I'm beginning to think more about labor... Just wondering how many centimeters dilated you were when your water broke?

Mine didn't, I was at the pushing stage and they still hadn't gone! I had to pester her too in the end as she wanted to leave them.

Silly thing was that from when I had to go in (couldn't keep fluids down so they made me stay in from early labour right the way through) at 2cm dilated all the way up until 10cm and pushing the 3 MW's that checked me at the various different times and stages all said "waters are bulging, they'll go any minute now"

I think to this day if I hadn't said break them that DS would've been born in his xx

They broke mine both times just before I started pushing. With DS, they had to because my waters were bulging so much that he couldn't engage fully despite the fact that I was 10cm, fully effaced, and ready to push. So the dr popped them and 10 minutes later, DS was born. With DD, they broke my water just before I hit 10 cm and she moved down before my cervix could move totally out of the way. I pushed for 10-15 minutes with no progress, ended up relaxing through 2 contractions and once my cervix fully dilated, she was out in 1 push.

All 3 times they had to break my waters at 9.5-10cm. As soon as they did, I was pushing in a contraction or two!

Just shy of 4cm. They went to break them artificially and they broke on their own. :flow:

I went to the hospital at 9cm and my water had not broken. They broke it for me (I asked them to) to speed up the last 1cm.

With my first pregnancy, they broke my water at 7 cm. However, with my 2nd pregnancy, my water broke at home and by the time I got to the hospital, I was 5cm then.

After being stuck at 3cm for 19 hours they finally broke mine for me and I jumped to 6cm in an hour!

First baby mw broke them at 10cm.

Second baby (different hospital) their policy was not to break if was no reason as it causes pressure to baby head that isnt needed or something like that. i had to push with waters still intact (not going lie i didnt like it i couldnt get grip on her head found it hard to push) they finally went and she arrived in 2 more pushes.

Mine went before I had any contractions at all, or even twinges, so I assume 0cm!

No idea as they don't routinely check you before labour here, but I doubt very much. Waters broke first without even a hint of a contraction or even braxton hicks ever before that. I was in established labour within 2 hours of that and my daughter was born 11.5 hours after waters went. I imagine your waters can break even if you aren't dilated at all and some ladies never have their waters break and baby is born in the caul (still in the amniotic sac with waters intact), so there is a lot of variation and it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I had been contracting with DS all day and it was at least 14 hours into it, my waters broke whilst on the toilet so off i went to the hospital to find i was 1cm! gutted doesnt even come close:growlmad:

I was 9 cm before my waters broke and I found it quite uncomfortable as the pressure was so strong!

In both my labours my waters have broken on their own at about 9-10cm.

Mine didn't go until 10cm, MW tried to break them but couldn't so they persuaded me to stand up and they popped right away and out she came!

First time I wasn't at all, second I guess I was 9-10cm as I was pushing 10 minutes after!

My waters broke just before contractions started so I'd guess not very dilated, if at all.

Mine were broken for me at 7cms the last time.

I still live in fear that I will flood the supermarket though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->