How many NB covers should I get?

nightkd

Mum to two!
Reaction score
I'm looking at a WAHM on Etsy who sells NB & OS covers... I should probably start off just getting the one cover, to make sure we get on with it (what do you think?) the NB goes from 5-10lbs and the OS goes from 8-35lbs....So even if Bean is 6-8lbs, the NB ones should work for a while?

I don't want to end up buying in bulk something we don't get on with, but then again...I'd rather be able to jump straight into CD'ing instead of having to do it part time, simply because we don't have enough covers to start with, iykwim?

I'm planning on using prefolds with the covers... I just don't know how many covers and of what size to get...

I have 3 Grobaby covers atm, so if I get 2 NB covers to start with...to make sure we get on with them and if we do, get another few (depending on what size she is) and/or a load of the OS covers....do you think that would work?

The NB covers are $10 each (plus shipping) and the OS are $12 (plus shipping) so not too bad, and I can always sell them on.............. :shrug: Confused.com! Just need someone with experience to slap me and tell me what to do :rofl:

Bonus Question! Do prefolds have to be tumble dried (I've yet to prep them) to fluff up properly?

I would get 2-3 newborn covers for everyday you plan to not wash. If you are using just prefolds. In the beginning the poo can be quite messy and might get on the cover so you might need to change it a few times a day.

I think prefolds do need to be tumble dried to fluff up. But if you boil instead of washing then drying over and over you won't have to as many times...and if you do high heat not as long either

Thank you!

Okay...it's just a pain in the butt because we have to drive over to the laundry room/building to pay for their dryers...and to do that over and over :wacko: I might see if DH can get someone else (maybe his Grandma) to prep the diapers for us, as it seems like it would be a lot easier!!

Can you handwash prefolds/diaper covers generally? Not planning on doing it too many times(!) just wondering if need be, could they be chucked into the bath with some boiling water and then hand scrubbed? Or something like that....

x

Oh yeah I'm sure you could....def the covers, prefolds I think I would be tempted to hand wash then boil just to be sure you get all the poo germs out haha. But you may not really need to do that, I'm just weird about germs, I won't wash the diapers on anything but hot and it gets way too hot to really touch in the washer. You can then just hang them to dry after they are prepped

When it comes to getting newborn covers I would only go for a few because if you have a big baby you will never use them. If you have a small to average size baby then you might not get on well with cloth to start with. I did not use re-folds so it may be different but it is only now that my son is getting bigger that cloth nappies do the trick and my size 0 wraps got almost no use at all, even though I fully intended to be full time cloth right away. I use pre-folds as burp cloths and they come out nice from the drier. What materiel are your wraps? If they are PUL then you can just wash them down most of the time but if they are cotton or fleece they need washing quite a bit (I personally don't like the put the cotton or fleece once back on) and also as you need to wash PUL less you can get away with less of them.

Bean is predicted to be itty bitty :lol: but with the sizes of the NB & OS covers overlapping, I do think it's better to try and get as few NB size as we can (iykwim) and try and get more OS, as they'll obviously last longer. :)

They're PUL, I have never been particularly drawn towards the fleece etc, as it kind of defeats the point imo?? I may be completely wrong here, but at least the PUL can be wiped down for minor leakage etc and then thrown in with the wash when they need to be....

I like PUL most of all, they seem to keep pee in better in my opinion. Between changes I tend to baby wipe the wrap and re-use a few times before feeling the need to put it in the nappy bin and get a clean one out to use. I only have sized wraps so I have no idea how one sized ones fit on a newborn so I can't help there.

I'm thinking I might get some second hand NB covers for the moment (they're obviously a bit cheaper) and THEN try out that lady with the OS covers once we gauge whether we get on with CD'ing/know how big Evey is and what fits her best...iykwim?

I'm looking at fitteds at the moment - any suggestions? Seen some cute NB ones (can sell them on once we're done with them and move on to OS) but I'm only looking at fitteds for the first time right now :lol:

xx

Almost all of my covers are totsbots, so I don't have much experience with other brands of wraps. Plus, I think the brands used a lot here might be different from in the US!?! I have a love of pre-loved things in my stash, as long as they were well looked after they are great and much cheaper.

the only one-sized wraps i get on with are the flip ones.
but i really does depend on what your using with them as to the fit you'll get.

Some of the brands vary, I've seen most of the big names in both countries though.

I think I might just get a couple of fitteds to try out and use prefolds the rest of the time until we know which we prefer...prefolds are just so much cheaper! I have Grobaby wraps to use atm, getting a Dappi Wrap to try out (I've read some good, some bad reviews on these, but $4 for a wrap ain't a huge commitment or anything!)...might get a Thirsties Fitted to try underneath a wrap... I REALLY want some of the new BG covers, but they're obviously not out yet, which means preordering at full price and we're still getting to grips with our budget after moving into a new apartment, soooo...2nd hand all the way! :lol:

Any other suggestions? If I just get the odd cover/fitted/whatever to try out before committing, what would you recommend buying? Anyyyything!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->