How many scans do you get and how often???

Guppy051708

2 by Sea 2 by Land
Reaction score
Hello ladies!
At my OB they do an early transvaginal ultra-sound on all woman around 8-9 weeks. And then i think they do one around 20 weeks. But i know a lot of woman have another one thrown in there between the early scan and the 20 week scan. But im thinking that my OB only does two (total) :(
(Unless the doc has a medically necessary reason to order another one in)

How many scans do you get covered in your pregnancy? And at what weeks?

I had a scan at 7wks 2days and get another tomorrow at 9wks 2days and then another one on January 5th at 11wks 1day and another on January 20th at 13wks 2days (nuchal scan).

Just wanted to add, that other than the nuchal scan on the 20th Jan all other scans are done in my OB's office with his personal ultrasound machine. Only the main scans like nuchal and 18-20wk scans are done out of office by a sonographer

I am expecting twins so my OB wants to watch me closely during 1st tri.

Mine, in the States, does one every visit... but our sisters in the uk seem to have more trouble getting them based on what I've read here.

I'm not sure at this point how many I'll get. I've had one at 11 weeks and am supposed to get another one around 20 weeks...not sure about any others.

in the uk i think you get one between 7 and 12 weeks then another at 20 x

I am getting one done in a few days at about 7 weeks, and I know I will have another one in mid January at about 11 weeks. Maybe you can get some done privately if your dr. won't do them more regularly.

With my first two boys I got scans when i first was pregnant the vaginal kind and then I got the one where they check for the development of all the organs. Then I got the one where they looked for the sex. So in total 3 then I went to the ER worried with my first and got a extra one

yeh its different where you live, im up north, uk, and we get a dating scan, which is 7 to 12 weeks, i had mine at 9 weeks, then another scan at 20 weeks, this is to check the development of the baby and can also be told the gender. i havnt had anymore as they only give u more if theres a problem and they need to check things, eg. the growth of your baby! bit rubbish really as id love to have more! xx

You get more if your high risk. I have had 2 so far, my third one is on wednesday and I should be a little over 8 weeks. I'm supposed to be monitored closely because I'm high risk but this doctor doesn't want to do that. So after my scan on wednesday I'm switching doctors and the new doctor will scan me every two weeks until we hit 22 weeks, than after that its only to be done when and if it is necessary

Thanks ladies! :friends:
Im betting that my OB will only do the early scan and 20 week scan (for free). They wont do a seperate gender scan. But at the 20 week one they said they can tell you then as long as the baby is in the right position.

Ive had a miscarriage a couple months ago, will that mean im high risk with this pregnancy?

Thanks ladies! :friends:
Im betting that my OB will only do the early scan and 20 week scan (for free). They wont do a seperate gender scan. But at the 20 week one they said they can tell you then as long as the baby is in the right position.

Ive had a miscarriage a couple months ago, will that mean im high risk with this pregnancy?
No it wouldn't mean your High Risk, if you had multiple MC maybe then you would be depending on the cause (if known).
Every women is expected to have at least one MC during their child baring years so it isn't classed as High Risk

Thanks hun!
Didn't figure as much, but thought id ask just in case :thumbup:

If you want to get a private scan, I would recommend a 3d, but the best time is around 28 weeks. They can tell you the sex then too. But no matter what scan you ask the sex at, the baby has to be in the right position.

hi... here, it depends which hospital you are going to deliver, either government hospital or private hospital... i don't know much about government hospital, as long as I know, if you don't have any complications, or problems, the early scan will be around 8 wk, then 2nd one when you are 5 months (20wk), and the final one when you are 7 months (28 wk)... i went to private hospital, and have non-stop bleeding since i was 5 wk pregnant... so, till now, i've already went for scan 6 times.... and my next scan is due next week @ 14 weeks...

if normal, you will have your first scan on first visit... from 8wk-32wk - once in every 4 weeks, 34-36 - every 2 weeks... and after that every week, till you give birth... but normally depends on doc / OB instructions...

Hey guppy, I got one at 7 weeks my next at 12 weeks then another at 18 weeks. I believe there might be one more after 20 weeks at some point but not 100% sure. The 7 week one was a dating scan, the second is a nuchal scan to check for chromosomal abnormalities and the third as far as I know is for gender /development.

is a nuchal scan given to everyone [usually] or is that just for specific populations?

wow, I did some research, *finally* found a doctor that takes new patients... the receptionist gave me an apt at 12 weeks and hung up. I have no idea what it entails. sigh. As the date gets closer I suppose I'll bug them for details =p

I would def. be doing that too vermeil!
Sounds a little like my OB. They are GREAT at their jobs but not so great at being "patient friendly" (I mean, they are nice to patients, but often too busy, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->