How much do you buy for DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EcoMama

Reaction score
I've seen the thread asking how much people spend, but our values can vary due to the item we buy (like last year we bought ds an islabike fr £200).

But we tend to stick to the rule, 3 presents each and a stocking. The 3 presents are usually toys or games (last yr was a bike, a playmobil castle (off ebay) and operation game). The stocking is then some wash stuff, a nice outfit or pjs, a dvd, a book and some chocolate.

So in total they have 8 things to open. The cost can vary dramatically, with DD only 2 months old last yr, we spent a total of £20 on her, but DS it was £250. But this yr it looks like DS presents will be in the £60 region and DD in the £30.

How about you? How many things does do your DC open?

Last year B was only 4 months but I wanted to buy her a jumperoo and snug. They were her two big presents. I then got her a stocking full of stuff like hair clips baby cuttlery and a few little toys. I also got a few outfits and books which didn't fit in the stocking. This year I am sticking to two big presents (toot toot garage, happy land dolls house) and 3 little presents (jigsaws megablocks and a nice outfit) I will also do a stocking so stuffed teddy fruit hair clips and a few little toys maybe for the bath or something.

The big presents cost (50 in total with discounts yas!) little presents about 25 and stocking about 25 too.

I don't really stick to a certain amount or value we just ask what they want I think they have around 10-15 main presents each then a sack with smaller presents, dvds, games, art stuff, pyjamas ect in and then a stocking with sweets chocolate and anything small enough to fit and topped with a cuddly Xmas toy.
We also do Xmas eve boxes with dvd, reindeer dust, pjs, Xmas socks, chocolate and magic Santa key.

Last year B was only 4 months but I wanted to buy her a jumperoo and snug. They were her two big presents. I then got her a stocking full of stuff like hair clips baby cuttlery and a few little toys. I also got a few outfits and books which didn't fit in the stocking. This year I am sticking to two big presents (toot toot garage, happy land dolls house) and 3 little presents (jigsaws megablocks and a nice outfit) I will also do a stocking so stuffed teddy fruit hair clips and a few little toys maybe for the bath or something.

The big presents cost (50 in total with discounts yas!) little presents about 25 and stocking about 25 too.

My DD is a similar age to yours. She was 1 last week. I've been wondering what to get her and whether it's worth it as she's so little. But your post made me think, as her birthday's not until Oct, it's worth getting stuff for christmas that will be suitable later in the year.

I don't really stick to a certain amount or value we just ask what they want I think they have around 10-15 main presents each then a sack with smaller presents, dvds, games, art stuff, pyjamas ect in and then a stocking with sweets chocolate and anything small enough to fit and topped with a cuddly Xmas toy.
We also do Xmas eve boxes with dvd, reindeer dust, pjs, Xmas socks, chocolate and magic Santa key.

Aah, the christmas eve bag sounds nice :)

We had to set a limit, 1st it was for MIL as she had a tendancy to go completely over the top and buy like 20 things for DS, but then we thought we'll set one for ourselves too. We're pretty skint so we don't buy for anyone else except children in family (nephews)

I don't have a set amount of presents or a strict budget. I just buy until I think they have enough. Honestly whilst the kids are young and still believe I want to make it as magical as possible and tend to spend a lot of family activities, like this year so far we have planned and booked harry potter studios tour at Christmas, visiting Santa at harrods with afternoon tea, panto, winter wonderland. To me these special family days out make Christmas xx

It depends on what they want, usually they get between 20-60 presents each (split over 2 days as we have 2 Xmas days), this year we have more outgoings only having one Xmas day (spending it with family) and they have around 30 presents not including stocking x

That's exactly it for me I sm buying her things I hope she will still enjoy up until she is 2. I went over board for her birthday and by that point her toys were very babyish. There is loads I want to buy. A nice bookcase wooden dolls pram but hoping my dads gives her money so I can put towards them as I just can't afford it all

Jessy that's like me, I'm spending less then I normally would but more thought has gone into the gifts this time and it's things that they will get more use out if x

It varies from year to year. DD's first Christmas (2 months old) she had about 25 presents to open between 2 households.
Second Christmas (14 months) she had around 80 to open between 2 households.
Third Christmas (26 months) she had near 150 to open between 2 households.

This year she's going to have far less than last year due to financial reasons but still going to make sure she has plenty to open.

Erm I've no idea. I know so far they have over 30 items each from me and OH, and still a while until Xmas.

We don't do big piles of presents, I don't want DS growing up thinking santa has an unlimited toy budget because it just leads to pressure and stress. He's not even 3 yet but he knows santa gives every child a stocking and ONE special gift each, and the other gifts come from parents/family.

Last year his santa gift was a wooden kitchen with all the accessories (kettle, toaster, food etc). This year it's a wooden shop/cafe with a till, scales and more play food (mostly sets this time like sandwiches, ice cream, pizza). So santa's gift is technically a few things but combined to make one big gift IYSWIM. Other than that he's just got a doctor's kit (£7), three board games from ELC (£6 each) and a big book about transport (£10). I've bought things on offer so I've spent about £120 in total. I've still got his stocking to fill but that won't be expensive things, just some chocolate and a few small toys. I was planning to get him a few accessories for his wooden train set like a lifting bridge and an engine shed, but I might ask DH's parents to get those instead (I was thinking of asking them for a dolls house for him, but I'm not sure if he'd use it). It's his birthday 3 weeks after xmas and that follows the same idea - one big gift and a few smaller things. This time he's getting a go-kart, a little jcb set which you put together with nuts/bolts etc, and a scaletrix type race track.

He tends to get presents during the year as well, with his birthday being so close to xmas it's not fair to expect him to go almost a year with no new toys. So he gets cheap toys quite regularly, character stuff and puzzles etc. I'd much rather save my money for doing that during the year than him being overwhelmed with dozens of things on one day.

I don't have a set amount of presents or a strict budget. I just buy until I think they have enough. Honestly whilst the kids are young and still believe I want to make it as magical as possible and tend to spend a lot of family activities, like this year so far we have planned and booked harry potter studios tour at Christmas, visiting Santa at harrods with afternoon tea, panto, winter wonderland. To me these special family days out make Christmas xx

That's a lovely idea! We took ds to panto a couple yrs go but he was too young really. Will try again this year. We love doing activities like evening mass (although we're not religious it's so traditional) walking around the streets looking at people's lights on the houses and going on the santa train, meeting santa at the end :).... Can't wait for DS 1st nativity this yr!

We don't do big piles of presents, I don't want DS growing up thinking santa has an unlimited toy budget because it just leads to pressure and stress. He's not even 3 yet but he knows santa gives every child a stocking and ONE special gift each, and the other gifts come from parents/family.

Last year his santa gift was a wooden kitchen with all the accessories (kettle, toaster, food etc). This year it's a wooden shop/cafe with a till, scales and more play food (mostly sets this time like sandwiches, ice cream, pizza). So santa's gift is technically a few things but combined to make one big gift IYSWIM. Other than that he's just got a doctor's kit (£7), three board games from ELC (£6 each) and a big book about transport (£10). I've bought things on offer so I've spent about £120 in total. I've still got his stocking to fill but that won't be expensive things, just some chocolate and a few small toys. I was planning to get him a few accessories for his wooden train set like a lifting bridge and an engine shed, but I might ask DH's parents to get those instead (I was thinking of asking them for a dolls house for him, but I'm not sure if he'd use it). It's his birthday 3 weeks after xmas and that follows the same idea - one big gift and a few smaller things. This time he's getting a go-kart, a little jcb set which you put together with nuts/bolts etc, and a scaletrix type race track.

He tends to get presents during the year as well, with his birthday being so close to xmas it's not fair to expect him to go almost a year with no new toys. So he gets cheap toys quite regularly, character stuff and puzzles etc. I'd much rather save my money for doing that during the year than him being overwhelmed with dozens of things on one day.

This is our thinking. I'm worried that DC will just expect more and more each yr, I'm trying to avoid the commercial/materialistic side of christmas, but without being mean!

So far on their lists they each have 12 things, that includes things like books, games, dvd's, but not stockings, which will have sweets and a few small toys. There might be one or two additions, but not much and only if we find something they will really like. We also do only one main present and stocking from Santa, and the rest is from whoever it's really from. And we don't do huge piles of presents, but even so in the past Hayden has ben a bit overwhelmed by it all, which kind of spoilt it. And we don't want them expecting more and more each year, either, so we're trying to keep it under control now. It is very tempting to go way overboard, though!

My rule is ten presents under the tree, two of which are books.

This year they have a money budget as well (£200) and I have divided the money budget so it gives a budget for each individual present.

This is William's for example because aside from the tent I have finished for him:

Main (up to £55) Leapreader and Leapreader books £48.49
Large (up to £35) Kidizoom Camera £29
Medium (up to £20) Smart Snacks Ice Cream £17.57
Medium (up to £20) Alphabet puzzle £13.08
Medium (up to £15) Playmobil Shuttle Bus £14
Medium (up to £15) Crayola white board and pens set £10
Small (up to £10) Leapreader spelling card set £6.50
Small (up to £10) Circus tent (share with Thomas)
Book (up to £10) Peek inside animal homes £5.70
Book (up to £10) Peppa Pig Annual £3.99

The money amounts are the maximum price a present in that catagory can be, so a main present can't be more than £55 for example.

It is complicated but it keeps me on track and stops me over buying. I like to try and save money in every category.

They also have a Christmas stocking, a single toy in their Christmas Eve sacks and they give a present to each other which I currently choose because neither would understand the concept right now (Thomas is too young and William is autistic).

This will be my 2nd Christmas with DD and I know I went overboard last year, but it's just so much fun. Most of her gifts are from Santa and they aren't wrapped. I just put them out during the night so when she wakes Christmas morning they are there (that was how my childhood was and I loved it) She'll probably unwrap 3 gifts from me and then whatever she gets from my parents and sister and a few others. I don't really have a set amount that she'll get though and since I've already started buying I'm afraid it will be too much again.

There's not an exact number but it's around 15-20 gifts a piece, only one is from Santa, the rest is from us. Not including whatever fits in the stocking which is also Santa and is usually some candy, toothbrushes, small toys from the dollar store, etc.

I don't have a budget and I don't have a set amount of what I buy. I buy throughout the year in sales, I'm not sure I buy anything full price. Honestly for only having 1 child I buy quite a bit.

morgan will end up with about 56 however some of those will be grouped together into one parcel eg the small lego boxes and books/colourings
harvey will have 42 but will bulk his out slghtly in sainsburys sale so it's a bit more even however he will get lots from his dads too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"