How much do you buy for DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the one main present and sticking from Santa. Apparently I never asked Santa for anything and just let him surprise me with something. I was brought up to appreciate the thought of a gift and not the price or even what it was really. I want B to have the same values so teh one present and stocking from Santa sounds like a good plan. This year it doesn't really matter as she still has no clue what's going on but that's something I will keep in mind for next year.

I like the one main present and sticking from Santa. Apparently I never asked Santa for anything and just let him surprise me with something. I was brought up to appreciate the thought of a gift and not the price or even what it was really. I want B to have the same values so teh one present and stocking from Santa sounds like a good plan. This year it doesn't really matter as she still has no clue what's going on but that's something I will keep in mind for next year.

A friend of mine insists that every gift is from santa for her 3yo daughter, every year all the gifts from us and her family just get lumped together under the tree 'from santa'. I found it really annoying last year because I spent ages choosing her gift and didn't even get a thank you from her, because of course it wasn't from me! Thinking santa brings everything is a short path to a spoiled brat IMO - I'm all for creating the magic of santa but believing that some unseen figure comes in the night and delivers the entire contents of Toys R Us to your living room, and you never have to thank him.... nope, not for me. My DS will know exactly who gives him what, and will thank them accordingly! I'm also never going to ask him what he wants from santa because if he asked for something we couldn't afford I'd feel awful, and it's not like I can say "santa can't afford that" lol!

I decided to do it for 2 main reasons - 1 being that I want them to understand that the gifts they recieve are given with love by the people who care for them, and to appreciate them as such, and to say thank you. And also to realise they can't have everything they want.
The other is that my parents used to say everything was from Father Christmas, and when I questioned why they had to go Christmas shopping they explained it by saying they bought the presents and sent them to him. Even at a young age, that seemed such a ridiculous and pointless thing to do, I don't remember ever really believing. I just went along with it for my sister's sake.
We ask Hayden what he would like for Christmas, but there are no long lists, and he doesn't expect to get everything. We just get ideas from his responses and select which things to get from that.

I do all gifts from santa apart from gifts from family. Mostly though family give them the gifts in person so they can thank then and there.

LO has around 20 things that we've bought, most are books. I'm trying not to buy too much, I don't want her growing up expecting loads each year just in case we cant always afford it!

I don't set a limit on the amount though, I just buy what I think is enough, and hardly anything I buy I pay full price for. I set a budget but OH convinced me its a guideline not law, but still don't go too far over.

I say that mum and dad buy the gifts, send them to Santa who delivers them on Christmas Eve, plus one gift from himself as he can only make one toy for each child in the world. That way I get some credit too, then family gifts are given to them separately x

Our daughter was recently born, but we won't be putting a limit on how many gifts we get her. We will just keep buying until we are satisfied with what we have got for her. Even when we start trying for our second child and add them to the mix it will be the same for them as well.

I always do one about 3-4 presents from Santa and the stocking and then the rest from us, family & friends. They usually get one big present and then lots of little ones i.e dvd's/games etc xx

Yeah we do one present off Santa it's usually a joint one not wrapped so it's a kitchen this year then everything else mammy and daddy send the money to Santa and Santa buys the gifts same from immediate family members they have all the presents in our house on the Xmas morning and will thank them when see them or in a thank you letter

A friend of mine insists that every gift is from santa for her 3yo daughter, every year all the gifts from us and her family just get lumped together under the tree 'from santa'. I found it really annoying last year because I spent ages choosing her gift and didn't even get a thank you from her, because of course it wasn't from me! Thinking santa brings everything is a short path to a spoiled brat IMO - I'm all for creating the magic of santa but believing that some unseen figure comes in the night and delivers the entire contents of Toys R Us to your living room, and you never have to thank him.... nope, not for me. My DS will know exactly who gives him what, and will thank them accordingly! I'm also never going to ask him what he wants from santa because if he asked for something we couldn't afford I'd feel awful, and it's not like I can say "santa can't afford that" lol!

You can have your opinion but that is just plain rude. I grew up having all my mum & dad's gifts come from Santa. It was magical, and special and whilst I may not have used the word thank you directly to my mum and dad I used to thank Santa in a letter which my mum still has now over 20 years on.

You want to do it differently with your kid then fine, but my LO will get all the gifts I buy, from Santa and she is not / will not be a 'spoilt brat'

Gifts from family are gifted separately, usually after Xmas dinner.

You can have your opinion but that is just plain rude. I grew up having all my mum & dad's gifts come from Santa. It was magical, and special and whilst I may not have used the word thank you directly to my mum and dad I used to thank Santa in a letter which my mum still has now over 20 years on.

You want to do it differently with your kid then fine, but my LO will get all the gifts I buy, from Santa and she is not / will not be a 'spoilt brat'

Gifts from family are gifted separately, usually after Xmas dinner.

You've totally missed the point of what I said. I said to have every present from santa - family and friends included - without having to say thank you to anyone for anything will lead to a spoiled brat. Please don't jump on me and start accusing me of being rude without even reading what I said properly - you've highlighted one sentence completely out of context. But thanks for that.

I do all gifts from santa apart from gifts from family. Mostly though family give them the gifts in person so they can thank then and there.

That's how we do it, mostly because that's how it was done for us growing up. I also do one present from mummy and daddy and one from our dog :happydance:

Family/friend presents are given separately in person so she can see who they are from, and they can see her opening them.

DD will be writing a list this year with us. she knows that she can tell santa some of the things she likes and that he will bring her some but not all of it.

Though last year I had lots of people asking me if I worried about her thinking that Santa was more generous than her parents as he brought her more presents:wacko: I can't even fathom that one tbh:haha: I think, among the people it know at least, there seems to be a lot of people saying they send the money/presents to Santa and he delivers them. I personally really dislike this but each to their own.

Because DD is 3 this year and much more aware of the whole thing I am questioning whether I should rethink how I do things. I'm tempted to do a smaller pile from Santa mainly because I worry about down tje line her asking whey santa brought her so much and not as much to another child. But I don't know, maybe I'm just over thinking it all - I really don't want to take the magic out of the while thing by introducing logic and reason!

I used to write Thank you cards to everyone who got me a gift. That was my boxing day lol and I will be doing the same with my lo.

I have actually gone over what I said. She is getting two big presents and quite a few little ones as I cannot for the life of me find things to fit in her stocking!!

Wow what a silly reason to stir up drama over. Everyone has their opinions and no amount of "opinion bashing" is going to change anyone's mind. Especially in that rude manner you seem to have taken. To people you don't know over the internet I might add.

We usually do around 300-500$ per child

Which is usually one big gift and a bunch of smaller gifts, the smaller inexpensive gifts are usually from Santa and the big main gift is from mom and dad. Than of course there Is the gifts from other family members.

Wow JessyG, what a silly reason to stir up drama over. Everyone has their opinions and no amount of "opinion bashing" is going to change anyone's mind. Especially in that rude manner you seem to have taken. To people you don't know over the internet I might add.

It wasn't JessyG Kiwiberry, hers was just the quoted post at the top, but thanks as I was beginning to think I was being a bit oversensitive today :haha:

I wouldn't mind if the opinion I was being slated for was actually true, but it's been completely twisted. At no point did I say that all the parent's presents being from santa would create a spoiled brat. Nor did I say that every single present coming from santa (if the family and friends concerned agree in advance!) and then santa getting a thank you letter would lead to a spoiled brat. I said having a huge pile of gifts appearing from nowhere without having to say thank you to anyone for them, not even santa, even when the gifts have come from other people (who never agreed to be santa in the first place and would actually have liked a little recognition and thanks for the time, effort and money they spent!). I thought I was pretty clear, obviously not :nope:

Omg!!

Some people really need to put their brain into gear before casting assumptions on how other peoples kids are going to turn out because they may or may not have said "Thank you" to an adult buying them a gift at Xmas but instead believed it came from Santa!?!?!

Whether it's "your opinion" or not!!

honestly that is one of the most offensive things to insinuate that about other peoples kids!! And to have it posted in the "Santa's grotto" :nope:

OMG I give up. I was talking about a child I know so I wasn't casting assumptions about anybody's kids in the grotto, I was talking about someone I know. And yes, I believe that expecting other people to buy for your kids without ever getting a thank you is wrong. Not the child's fault, the parent. My son will thank everyone who gets him a gift and I wouldn't under any circumstances take a gift off someone and say "oh yeah thanks, but I'll be telling him it comes from santa so don't mention it's from you" and then not even giving so much as a thank you, which is basically what happened. My morals must be so skewed. But whatever, I'm out.

I understand stand what you are saying Bid, and I too feel that the gifts they get from other people should not be from Santa, and mine would say thank you for there gifts. It doesn't make sense to have all the gifts from Santa...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"