How much do you buy for DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it wasn't my post that you thought was rude.

With most things I reckon to each their own. I like the idea but that's not to say everyone should feel that way.

Wow JessyG, what a silly reason to stir up drama over. Everyone has their opinions and no amount of "opinion bashing" is going to change anyone's mind. Especially in that rude manner you seem to have taken. To people you don't know over the internet I might add.

It wasn't JessyG Kiwiberry, hers was just the quoted post at the top, but thanks as I was beginning to think I was being a bit oversensitive today :haha:

I wouldn't mind if the opinion I was being slated for was actually true, but it's been completely twisted. At no point did I say that all the parent's presents being from santa would create a spoiled brat. Nor did I say that every single present coming from santa (if the family and friends concerned agree in advance!) and then santa getting a thank you letter would lead to a spoiled brat. I said having a huge pile of gifts appearing from nowhere without having to say thank you to anyone for them, not even santa, even when the gifts have come from other people (who never agreed to be santa in the first place and would actually have liked a little recognition and thanks for the time, effort and money they spent!). I thought I was pretty clear, obviously not :nope:

Thanks for the correction!!! I edited my post. Sorry Jess :dohh:

Bid, I completely understand what you were saying, sorry you are coming under attack, especially in the grotto :hugs:

I have to agree I don't like the idea that some people tell their kids everything even from other family members is from Santa. That is setting kids up for a huge fall when they learn the truth and no opertunity to say thanks to the people who gave things.

My Santa delivered everything (like the postman) but not everything was from him. Mum and Dad would tag some things from them, some from Santa, other relations gifts would be tagged from them but everything would appear on Christmas morning.

I'm aiming for no more than 10-12 things from us / Santa this year including selection box, book, game. We went way OTT last year and some stuff has never been touched.

You can not like the idea, that's fine, I don't like it when people steal the magic from Christmas by telling them Santa isn't real. But some people choose this route.

But a grown adult labelling a child a spoilt brat is wrong and very rude. It's a parent decision how they raise their children, and if a person is so pissed off that they dont get a thank you about a gift then they shouldn't be gifting.

I gift out of love and willingness, it's nice to get a thank you if I do, but that isn't my primary concern as I know that what I gift will be appreciate and loved regardless of the words kids are often forced to repeat.

I didn't label any child a spoiled brat, there you go again twisting what I said! I said a parent acting like that could lead to a child becoming a spoiled brat. We'll still have plenty of santa magic at Christmas but my son will grow up knowing that people have made an effort to get him a gift and will say thank you whether he's being forced into saying it or not - it's called manners. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like saying please or waiting his turn either, but you can bet I'll keep forcing him into it until he does it of his own accord. For the record, I give out of love and kindness too. But as I was brought up to show thanks, I expect the same from others. And I also expect to be able to talk to the recipient about the gift I spent so long choosing and was excited about giving to see her reaction, instead of having it taken off me and told to pretend I know nothing about it because I've been dropped into some surprise game of secret santa.

Anyway I'm done defending myself against things I didn't even say because you seem to be intent on twisting my words to make me into the bad guy. I used to help people on here a lot but have long since decided to stay away from the rest of BnB these days for this very reason. Looks like the grotto isn't safe any more either.

I know plenty of adults who were told santa gave them everything (except family related things) and they turned out to be kind, respectful people. Which is more than I can say for some of you opinion slaters in this thread.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, and to blindly assume someones child is going to turn out "bratty" just because they don't do what you "think" is right just sounds presumptuous and ignorant.

I can't even believe grown adults are acting like this.

Seriously people stop being so pedantic and just get back to the festivities!!

As kids, everything was from Santa, except from other family members & friends who always brought our gifts to give to us directly. Never once (when we believed) did we question why our parents didnt get us anything... I guess we just got so excited about Santa coming that it really didnt matter! Most people I know do it this way, as do we. We wrap all presents and Santa leaves them all for the girls to open. Family will bring gifts to give to the girls om christmas day/boxing day as they love to see them opening their presents, and my eldest will thank people for their gifts. She still remembers who got her some presents last year which is nice. She knows that a specific person thought of her and bought her a gift.

I too, would be annoyed if I had bought a child a gift and then the parent used it as a 'santa gift.'

We have finished buying for dd1/2.

Dd1 has around 16 presents from santa to open, and a stocking
Dd2 has about 9 gifts and a stocking.

There are also 3 joint presents for them too.

I was reading stick man with my 5yr old this evening. On the last pages where santa comes down the chimney my son asked why there were presents already under the tree when santa had only just arrived (Very observant I thought!)

I explained that family buy presents and then Santa brings another for everyone. This also helps as I like to put presents under the tree before christmas day (Not dc's though, as if they're anything like I was, they'd have been tornn at the corners :haha:)

I was reading stick man with my 5yr old this evening. On the last pages where santa comes down the chimney my son asked why there were presents already under the tree when santa had only just arrived (Very observant I thought!)

I explained that family buy presents and then Santa brings another for everyone. This also helps as I like to put presents under the tree before christmas day (Not dc's though, as if they're anything like I was, they'd have been tornn at the corners :haha:)

I'm desperate to put family presents under the Xmas tree before the big day again but my 2yr and 3yr old wouldn't just have the corners ripped they would have them completely torn opened and if there was anything edible :dohh: it would be gone :haha: lol

The whole presents under the tree thing is funny. While my sis and I agreee Santa was like a postman (delivered everything but not everything was from him) I actually questioned my mum on why she did it that way.
She tells us she didn't make out Santa delivered everything, she just didn't want to put presents under the tree as they would lead to temptation for us to poke at them and its a PITA to move them to hoover so she'd wait until after we were in bed.

I don't go by number really, although I try to keep to roughly the same number of presents each. They may not notice if one has 1 or 2 things more or less but they will notice if one has 5 and another has 12 LOL
Annnyway, I tend to get quite a lot. The other year (including stockings) there was about 35 things each, apart from the youngest who was only 2 months old.
Stockings here though are small, they have as many £1-2 items as I can fit in them. Theres no way books and PJs and stuff would fit in there, so the PJs and that are included in the 'other presents'

We don't put presents under the tree before hand either. Even when family give us presents in front of them we put them out of the way. My mum told us even though they were not from santa that he put magic on them and if you opened them before christmas they turned to dust!! Almost everything we buy is from santa though. As far as they boys know we don't have a lot of money and so we buy them a small pile and put it under the tree before bed christmas eve and then santa brings the big piles with the really awesome stuff in lol

We don't put presents under the tree before hand either. Even when family give us presents in front of them we put them out of the way. My mum told us even though they were not from santa that he put magic on them and if you opened them before christmas they turned to dust!! Almost everything we buy is from santa though. As far as they boys know we don't have a lot of money and so we buy them a small pile and put it under the tree before bed christmas eve and then santa brings the big piles with the really awesome stuff in lol

Brilliant!

Haha! I love the presents turning into dust idea x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g