how much formula 5week old

letia659

mom to Jacob and Zander!
Reaction score
my son is taking in 5oz and draining it but now crys as if hes needs more but his pediatrician said he should only be getting 3oz so if I up it to 6oz then he will be taking in double what I was told...so how much did your baby have at about 5 weeks?? he is a big boy at between 11-12lbs now so would that be why he wants more? should I not give him the extra amount but he crys for it :shrug:

mine was the same he was aving 6oz at 5wk then onto 8 !! i wud put him up a little xx

thanks just needed some reassurance that I wasnt giving him too much Im wondering if my pediatrician knows what shes talking about sometimes :dohh:

I wouldn't go by age, I'd go by the child's weight. I've got the opposite problem in that my baby is 11 weeks old, but usually only takes between 3.5 and 4oz. My HV and the side of the formula carton say she should be on more, according to her age. But if I go by her weight then she's taking the right amount, pretty much (she's only just 9lb 1oz :blush:).

Emilie drinks between 4 - 5oz now my HV doesnt seem concerned at all but than she was 10Ibs 8 at birth

Jax is 5wks today & is drinking 4oz , roughly every 3-4 hrs , occasionally goes bit longer during day. once or twice he's taken 5oz but 4oz is the norm for us. He's around 9lb in weight. Hun if you are unsure about giving him more what about the hungry baby stuff? xx

Go by weight, their activity levels and how fast they are growing.

Earl was 9lb 6oz at birth. at 5.5weeks I upped his feeds to 6 oz, then at 7 weeks to 7oz. He now weighs around 14lb (13lb 7oz at 7w1) so he's growing well, keeping to his centile and a very happy little boy. At the moment he eats 6-7oz every 2.5-3 hours. He sleeps 7.30pm-4am every night and during the day is awake and very active for 1.5hours between feeds with reasonable naps.

The average child may be 3oz at that age, but can someone please show me an 'average' child!

my baby Aaron is just over 5 wks and we have just upped him to 6oz and he is starting to drain the bottle already so we might be upping him again and my hv seems fine with that ....

If he's draining his bottles and crying for more then your peditrician is basically advising you to starve him?? Or does she mean offer a small amount but more regularly?

At 7wks, Violet was on 4x6oz and 1x7oz so at about 5wks she'd probably have been on 5x6oz's.

Hiya

My LO is 5 weeks old and same as you're baby nearly 12lb now, he takes 5ozs every 4 hours.

Where has your doctor got 3ozs from - my little man had that from birth!!

Xx

i have always let my children dictate how much they need. And like the others it seemed to always go by weight. Listen to your baby you can raise it by half an ounce and see what happens.

If u dont want to up the amount u cud switch on to hungry baby milk as its thicker and will sustain ur son for longer.

My LO is five weeks tomorrow and takes 40z every 3-4 hours. She sometimes drinks the full bottle so next time I make up 5oz and she leaves the last oz so what i do now is have a ready made carton just i case she wants a little bit more.

Laura is just over 5 weeks old and we've just bought the bigger bottles as she was draining the smaller 4oz bottles. She does sometimes drain the 5oz we prepare but usually when she's had a 3oz feed before it. Do whatever your baby dictates and ignore the HV or doctor. Nobody knows your baby like you do!

Ava is only 12 days and drinks 3-4oz at a time, shes 9pounds now. im not concerned and hv and mw arent either!

oh my goodness I feel like I have such a greedy baby in comparison! I've just upped his bottle to 7oz as he is regularly draining his 6oz bottles! He doesn't finish a 7oz all the time, sometimes a bit less - but I don't want to make him less and leave him hungry!

I don't think it's possible to over feed a 5 week old baby, he'll only take what he wants/needs x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->