How much is going back to work worth to you?

We're no better off by me going to work!! - In fact I think we're worse off as we dont get any help with childcare costs.
I want my lo to be in nursery and be used to those surroundings regardless of me working or not.
So for my sanity I work part time and now i've been back 6 weeks I couldnt imagine things any other way.

I'm the main earner in our house by quite a lot, and my salary goes up by a decent chunk every year, so we really are better off with me at work. I would love to stay off, but I'm going back in February. I was trying to persuade OH to drop some days, but he works for the family business and, realistically, will probably be earning more than me at some point so he wants to stay F/T. I'm lucky I earn a good wage, but it means I can't change to a job with less pressure/ hours without a significant pay drop and that's just not fair on my family. If we didn't have a mortgage I'd go and work in a shop and know I had more time with J.

We don't get any help with childcare costs so now I have 2 I would maybe be £100 a month better off! I had a good job which I'd progressed a lot in and lots of people say its a shame I'm not going back but I don't see it that way, I'm glad I can stay at home with the kids. I've been told by my old bosses that I can go back when I'm ready provided they have enough work but I think OH would rather me stay at home, and for now I would too. Maybe when Evie goes to school full time the figures will add up a bit more!

We're really hoping I will be able to stay at home. DH earns a very very good wage and is currently getting a substantial payrise every 6 months so by the time I would be due back he'll be earning almost halk my salary on top of what he was before. We're very lucky.

We'll have to see how things are when I go down to SMP as we're used to a certain standard of living. I'd not go back though unless we were a good £300-£400 a month better off (I.e after childcare costs etc) as a result... which after taking into account the costs of chilcare would mean I'd need to work maybe 3 days a week.

I'd not trust my mum with Fin and MIL works so we'd have to put Fin in a nursery if I did. I;d rather a nursery over a childminder as I don't want too much 121 contact with another adult who could influence the person he becomes xx

I didnt bother doing the sums as we dont claim anything like tax credits and such but I dont need to go back to work as OH job pays nicely.
I however chose to go back 3 days a week for my own sanity, LO gets to spend some time with his granparents and OH mum and I get to have an ault conversation plus it makes me cherish my time with him even more when I get home and everyone seems happy.

It would definitely be worth me going back (am a lawyer so on a very good wage) but I absolutely hate my job so am not going back to it! DH is on an excellent salary too so I'm in no real rush (I realise how lucky we are), but I do want to work in some capacity. Since DH earns so much, any job I take only needs to cover childcare (I'm not paying to work!), but that rules out quite a lot of jobs I'd be interested in (really want to get into the charity sector).

One thing I'm taking very seriously though is the need to continue adding to my CV: I don't want to end up with big gaps on my CV from staying at home with DD and think that this is a really strong argument to go back to work even if you're not earning a huge amount.

xx

In order to pay our mortgage and bills, I have to go back to work, it's not even an option for me to stay at home.
Part of me would love to stay home, but I need adult conversation, I need somewhere to go everyday. I love my daughter more than anything else in the world, but I don't think I'm the type who could stay at home everyday. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with that all, it just isn't for me. Besides, I think it's important for Hana to socialize with other children, which she probably wouldn't get to do very often if I stayed home. Plus, I absolutely LOVE my job.
Ideally, I would love to work part time. Be at home with her a lot, but still get out of the house for a break and some adult company a lot. That's the perfect solution. Unfortunately, I don't have that option, as right now, (until my husband is completely done his schooling for his career) we couldn't afford for me to work only part time, and I also don't have that option with my job.

We have big debts and a big mortgage so other than declaring myself bankrupt I had no option other than to go back to work full time. My hubby earns less so he was the one that went part time to look after Daisy during the day and work in the evenings.

For me, it's keeping my career ticking over - I can't be out of the industry for more than 2 years without having to redo my registration, especially as we'd like to have #2 in the not too distant future.
Financially after child care costs (but not gov't contributions/ rebates), it's worth an extra $200 a week for just 3 days (just under half my pay)
I also need to do a minimum 15 hours a week to qualify for 50% rebate of childcare costs (here in Australia, paid quarterly) & we don't qualify for any benefits either way.
We don't NEED the money as OH is paid well, but it'll help with a deposit as we're only renting at the moment.

ETA: it's a career I worked hard for & a job I love, so I'm loathe to give it up - fortunately I have an understanding employer!

I'm actually jealous of the people that can go back to work! I don't have any childcare.. I don't drive to get her to childcare either. I worked at my local nursery and they don't take LO's until they're two and they would no way hold my job open that long so I've had to take time out. I was very determined to go back, not to escape LO but because I did love my job and wanted to go further.. but I guess seeing alot of the Mums say they want to be SAHMs I do feel pretty lucky that OH is willing and able to support us.

We have more money now than when i went to work haha. But I'm still going to go back to work 2/3 days a week depending on childcare:) x

There's so much to consider in this question!
I went back to a full-time job that I loved when my firstborn was 11 months. He thrived in his dayhome and I thrived being able to enojy and exercise my professional self. It was a good balance.
Now that #2 is here, I am crunching all sorts of numbers and trying to figure things out. If I go back with both boys in full-time childcare, I will be taking home about $500/month. I could stay home with my kids and freelance (still in the same field) around my husband's schedule and earn that.
However!
If we want a third child, it does make sense for me to go back, as I will be more easily qualified for mat leave benefits (in Canada, ours are dependant on hours worked).
I keep telling myself that I don't have to decide until the spring.

If I could find a cheaper childcare solution, then that might tip the scales for me to go back.

My OH has his own business & it does very well meaning that i dont have to work. I have been a SAHM for 6 years, even with my son being at school FT, I do occasionally do the odd bit of promo work to keep me from getting bored.

We dont get tax credits or anything, we never have from day 1 of our son being born.

I now do a promo job once a week & make £500 a month this is enough money for me to live off & do what i want to do. I dont & wont have to pay out for childcare once this little man arrives as i will take him with me, so working at the mo is worth it to me & its also a real easy job

My OH has his own business & it does very well meaning that i dont have to work. I have been a SAHM for 6 years, even with my son being at school FT, I do occasionally do the odd bit of promo work to keep me from getting bored.

We dont get tax credits or anything, we never have from day 1 of our son being born.

I now do a promo job once a week & make £500 a month this is enough money for me to live off & do what i want to do. I dont & wont have to pay out for childcare once this little man arrives as i will take him with me, so working at the mo is worth it to me & its also a real easy job

That does sound like easy money. Any vacancies? Lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->