How old is TOO old for breastfeeding?

maybe11

Reaction score
Not meant to offend anyone but in the UK there was a programme on last night about breastfeeding. There were 0-11 yr olds still feeding.

I breastfed dd until she self weaned just before age 2 but Id said I d wean age 2 anyway.

How old do you think is right to stop?

ps: I dont want to start any arguments. PLease if you want to voice your opinion do so but no need to attack others.... :flower:

I think as soon as they're old enough to ask for it... I'd say about 18 months-2 years is about right :)

XxX

I did a thread about this exact subject about the program extraordinary breastfeeding! The admin closed the subject in the end but dunno if the thread still exists! I dunno if u can search it?? I personally don't agree with extended breastfeeding xx

I did a thread about this exact subject about the program extraordinary breastfeeding! The admin closed the subject in the end but dunno if the thread still exists! I dunno if u can search it?? I personally don't agree with extended breastfeeding xx

oh... sos didnt realise they d closed it...did it get heated?

I also dont personally agree with extending it so long : although I understand outside the UK its average age 4.

I had alot of people comment when I was still feeding at 18 mths!

IMHO one year isn't enough, 11 is too much... but anyone who sees a one year old breastfeeding and is offended by it should just grow up ;)

i dont agree with it either and think about 15 months is long enough but i will probably only do 12

edit: omg 4 years is the average?!?! it doesnt offend me and each to there own thats just how i feel about me no one else

Firstly do any of you know how good for yOu're child breast milk is?

If you did u would want them to have it forever.
My son is 23 months old and still going strong! He has not once been ill in his life so far! He is also excelling in everything he does! Was walking at 9 months and is saying full sentences and has been or few months!

I won't go on as if people have made their mind up then they have made their minds up!

But the who recommend bf till 2 for maximum benefit!

It's up to the mother how long she breastfeeds for and no one else! It's no one else's business!!!!!!!

Firstly do any of you know how good for y

YES I have already said I b/f my daughter. I am fully aware of the health benefits to myself and lo. NOT ABOUT whether to b/f just interested to know what other people think is the most appropriate age to stop.

I think it really is up to the mother and child as to when it is right to stop.

I've never breastfed before so I am sure that my current answer will change after I start... but I think even going until 2 seems weird to me. I think I'll start weaning just before I go back to work. (So around 1 years old). Who knows though!

firstly do any of you know how good for you're child breast milk is?

My son is 23 months old and still going strong! He has not once been ill in his life so far! He is also excelling in everything he does! Was walking at 9 months and is saying full sentences and has been or few months!

I won't go on as if people have made their mind up then they have made their minds up!

But the who recommend bf till 2 for maximum benefit!

It's up to the mother how long she breastfeeds for and no one else! It's no one else's business!!!!!!!

it was only a simple question about peoples opinions as its of interest to me! I m not saying i will listen and stop feeding at what ever age someone says. personally i think age 11 is too old.

Firstly do any of you know how good for yOu're child breast milk is?

...but you have to draw the line somewhere... I think I'd be pretty offended if my husband went home to his mother to breastfeed after work :baby::haha:

The comments about adults and teenagers nursing always get thrown around when it comes to full term breastfeeding. It just doesn't happen. In fact, 11 would be extremely unusual. Generally, the sucking reflex is lost around the time the child gets their adult teeth.

I knew I would be very disappointed if Alice stopped nursing before she was 2, as I know how beneficial it is to her long term health. I'm fortunate enough to be comfortably feeding through pregnancy, and I'm hoping to continue for a long time. I don't have a cut off. Before having her, I thought any longer than 1 was weird. I believed the 'too old when they walk up and ask for it' comment, before realising the irrelevance of that.

I think it is incredibly sad that our culture is so disgusted by children doing what is natural for them to do. I often feel uncomfortable if Alice nurses in public these days, although I'm determined to carry on while she wants to, because it's only by seeing it that it will become normalised as it should be.

My son self weaned at 16 months, because my milk dried up when I implanted with this pregnancy :cry: I would have been happy to keep going as long as he wanted.
My son has been ill 3 times since weaning, and not once before so I have seen the benefits. I plan to let my little girl self wean too, whether that be at 1 year or 4 years.

Provided I have enough milk, I will give it to her straight from the boob (with the occasional breastmilk bottle) until she reaches a certain age (my guess is the cut-off is when she begins biting me :haha:). From then on, I will be expressing and giving her my own milk still, but from the bottle.

In short, as long as I have milk I will be giving it to her; it's the boob that will stop after a certain age. I'd love to give her a little brother or sister once she reaches three or four, so I guess I'll be giving her breast milk until I get pregnant again, stopping the boob somewhere between/after 1-2 years and giving her the bottle exclusively.

I will breastfeed exclusively until I have to go back to work. I think that'll be at the 12 month mark and then I will do breastfeed plus breast milk bottles for as long as I see fit. :)

oh... sos didnt realise they d closed it...did it get heated?

I also dont personally agree with extending it so long : although I understand outside the UK its average age 4.

I had alot of people comment when I was still feeding at 18 mths!

Yeh it did get heated because everyone has there opinion but not everybody agreed with it! I think everyone is entitled to say what they believe without people jumping down their necks! I'm sure this will get very heated too but what more can we expect from a bunch of hormonal pregnant women wishing to express their opinion! Like me, u posted this thread to see people's opinions as I was intrigued as to why people would want to B/f for so long! Enjoy the thread I won't get involved in this one xxx

I am a great believer in breast feeding and I believe that any breast feeding at all is a wonderful thing to do for both mum and baby. But it isn't right for everyone and I believe that we should all respect that. When it comes to feeding mum should be happy and if she isn't and is struggling really badly then it isn't at all good for baby and if FF will make mum happier then she should.

Personally I think that a child breast feeding going to school is too old but that is my opinion nothing more. I had no intention of tandem feeding as I hadn't the best supply so DD was weaned without a peep of protest when she was 21 months old. By that point she was only really BFing at night for comfort and I don't think she actually needed it any more.

If I manage to bf this time round I will be stopping at 2. That's what I am comfortable with. As for the extended bfing, human being stop producing the enzyme that breaks down milk at age 5.

Most of you must think i am disgusting then. Its not nice being tarred with some freak show thing when people associate breastfeeding past 6 months or a year with breastfeeding 11 year olds and grown ups. Its not something most want to do just feed their toddlers. Personally I want my child fit and healthy never having formula and so be it.

I'll be nursing my little one until it's right for us to stop. The longer the better, in my opinion. Why give Baby cows milk when mine is made specifically for my Baby? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->