How old is TOO old for breastfeeding?

And Dragonfly, if you're a freak, so am I! And proud of it! :) xx

When they're an adult they're probably too old :haha:

Up until then, it's the best and most natural and nutritional drink we have available. It continues to be very good for any baby/toddler/child. Much better than Cows milk.

It's just the sexualisation of breasts that make people believe it's wrong after a certain age. How a 5 year old could see boobs as sexual is beyond me.

I say, live and let live. Do what feels right for YOU and your baby/child. If 6 months feels wrong, stop then. If 5 years feels right, keep going!

No one should let the publics opinion have an effect on their decision :flower:

I think people should do what they see fit for their child. However with a school age child the thing that worries me is if the child would have any kind of social or emotional difficulties from being breast fed that long.. I'm not sure if they would but I can imagine they might.. and imagine how they'd be teased if their classmates found out.. I guess that's the only concern I'd have with it. But each to their own, not my right to tell anyone what's best for their child!

Most of you must think i am disgusting then. Its not nice being tarred with some freak show thing when people associate breastfeeding past 6 months or a year with breastfeeding 11 year olds and grown ups. Its not something most want to do just feed their toddlers. Personally I want my child fit and healthy never having formula and so be it.

Not at all. You do whats right for you and your lo. Just interested to hear people's opinions... the programme I watched had an 11 yr old feeding and husband joined in occasionally too.

Firstly do any of you know how good for yOu're child breast milk is?

If you did u would want them to have it forever.
My son is 23 months old and still going strong! He has not once been ill in his life so far! He is also excelling in everything he does! Was walking at 9 months and is saying full sentences and has been or few months!

I won't go on as if people have made their mind up then they have made their minds up!

But the who recommend bf till 2 for maximum benefit!

It's up to the mother how long she breastfeeds for and no one else! It's no one else's business!!!!!!!

I agree with you that its no one else's business but feel a little offended also that u think that nobody else knows the benefits. I bf my son for 12 months, never gave him formula but he self weaned at that point. He didn't walk until 12 months and had the most awful norovirus at 10 months old which put him in hospital so it obviously doesn't protect them from everything.

My son is 23 months old and still going strong! He has not once been ill in his life so far! He is also excelling in everything he does! Was walking at 9 months and is saying full sentences and has been or few months!

I won't go on as if people have made their mind up then they have made their minds up!

It's up to the mother how long she breastfeeds for and no one else! It's no one else's business!!!!!!!

I agree with you that its no one else's business but feel a little offended also that u think that nobody else knows the benefits. I bf my son for 12 months, never gave him formula but he self weaned at that point. He didn't walk until 12 months and had the most awful norovirus at 10 months old which put him in hospital so it obviously doesn't protect them from everything.

Its normal to breastfeed not some sort of magical juice you are garenteed not to ever have a sick child with , your child was probably better off for being breastfed through his illness.

Its normal to breastfeed not some sort of magical juice you are garenteed not to ever have a sick child with , your child was probably better off for being breastfed through his illness.

Yes I realise its not "magical juice", but found the post a little patronizing, "do any of you know how good for your child breastmilk is", umm yes actually.

I got a couple of questions here, and they're both very genuine.

1. Whoever in this thread called anybody else 'disgusting'?
2. Whoever in this thread gave the impression that they are oblivious to the benefits of breastfeeding?

:shock:

No snark intended here, which is why I'm not quoting anyone specific. But reading through the posts, it seems that each and everyone on this thread has breastfed or is planning to. :shrug:

The reason why such threads usually become heated is for the same reason alcohol and flu jab threads get heated too- people implying they care about their babies more, are more topic-educated than others, they make better mothers etc etc. And then the opposite side retaliates, and so havoc breaks loose.

I just can't see opposite sides in this thread so far. Have I gotten this completely wrong? Did I miss something? :shrug:

I weaned myself at 6 months -- I'm just going to play it by ear and see what happens.. but I want to breastfeed until they're at least 1.. that way I know they're full of essential nutrients :thumbup:

I got a couple of questions here, and they're both very genuine.

1. Whoever in this thread called anybody else 'disgusting'?
2. Whoever in this thread gave the impression that they are oblivious to the benefits of breastfeeding?

:shock:

No snark intended here, which is why I'm not quoting anyone specific. But reading through the posts, it seems that each and everyone on this thread has breastfed or is planning to. :shrug:

The reason why such threads usually become heated is for the same reason alcohol and flu jab threads get heated too- people implying they care about their babies more, are more topic-educated than others, they make better mothers etc etc. And then the opposite side retaliates, and so havoc breaks loose.

I just can't see opposite sides in this thread so far. Have I gotten this completely wrong? Did I miss something? :shrug:

Nope you re spot on! Am not sure why its gone this way. Am sorry i asked now. It was never about the benefits or whether to bf just when people thought the best age to stop was. X

I think it is a personal decision to make, no right or wrong but I don't think we can say that Bf means a child will never be Ill or will be advanced in some way!

I'm breastfeeding til hopefully about a year and then pumping and doing a cup. Baby is more mobile at a year and I think for me, a year of breastfeeding bonding is a good start. I'm with larockera, for me breast milk is important but I am not comfortable when a child can ask for boob. I want my baby to find comfort in things other than my boob.

If breast milk is the most important thing, what's wrong with it coming from a cup vs straight from the tap? Baby gets nutrition made just for him and I get more freedom to express when I want to.

I'm breastfeeding til hopefully about a year and then pumping and doing a cup. Baby is more mobile at a year and I think for me, a year of breastfeeding bonding is a good start. I'm with larockera, for me breast milk is important but I am not comfortable when a child can ask for boob. I want my baby to find comfort in things other than my boob.

If breast milk is the most important thing, what's wrong with it coming from a cup vs straight from the tap? Baby gets nutrition made just for him and I get more freedom to express when I want to.

If you're uncomfortable feeding directly after a certain point, cup feeding is obviously a good compromise, but pumping later on is often not an option for a lot of women as a child is much more efficient at getting the milk out than a pump. You'd have to be very dedicated.

As a side point, I don't really get the comfort argument. I don't have a cut off point for my daughter finding comfort from a hug, so I don't with my breast either.

Not being critical here by the way, just offering a different point of view! :flower:

I was just about to say the same thing regarding pumping after 1 it is very difficult to pump at that age unless you have been doing it faithfully up until then. I never had a problem pumping and could pump 6-8 oz per time until LO hit about 14 months then I couldn't even pump out 2 oz at a time because I was not doing it often and then trying to up my supply with pumping was nearly impossible. I was able to bf until LO self weaned at 23 months

As a full time working mom, I had to express while working. For me it was hard work, for very little milk. I only did it to keep up my supply. It takes alot of time and dedication.
It was much easier to scoop up my little boy, turn on the tv and cuddle with him on the couch while he fed. My son never fed in public past 1 year, so breastfeeding was our special time in the morning and at night before bed. Nothing wierd about it. There was no difference between him feeding at 2 months versus him feeding at 16 months.

To be honest - i am just hopeing to be able to breastfeed. I'll work out when to stop when im ready too, i just hope and pray im able to!x

To be honest - i am just hopeing to be able to breastfeed. I'll work out when to stop when im ready too, i just hope and pray im able to!x

Me too! I am hoping for a year at least though lol

I couldn't care less how long people breastfeed their children for, as long as they are happy then who's to say they should stop, not me or anyone else! It doesn't become sexualised when they reach a certain age :wacko:

I have a friend who told me that she heard or a girl that was still breastfeeding at 18 years old. I don't know if that is true or not, because I think by then that would gross most people out. Anyway, I am planing on breastfeeding for at least the first year.

And whats wrong with feeding from the breast, breasts offer comfort to, skin to skin aswell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->