how to blw

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
I know it's a funny question to ask since this is Ds2.

I was reallynervous about weaning Ds1, we did tw for the first few months and it went quite bad tbh. It was only as he was more independent with eating that it got easier.
So again I have those same worries and nerves as I did with Ds1. I'm certain blw will be a better choice but I have no idea how to start it. How did everyone begin? What is good to offer? We are thinking carrot sticks but what else?

also I can't remember what foods should be avoided till later? What needs to be avoided till 6 months?
I'm thinking about starting in the next couple of weeks

We started at 5.5 months and tbh we just got stuck in. I know people will disagree but he was 'ready' in my eyes. We give porridge or weetabix for breakfast which I spoon feed. At first he didn't have lunch but now he has cheese on toast, beans mashed onto a bit of toast, home made soup and bread, things like that really. For dinner he just has whatever we have, I put it on his tray and just let him get on with it. All the normal kinds of meals you can think of he's tried, I make everything from scratch. For dessert he might have fruit or yoghurt depending on how much he's eaten. For snacks he's had things like an oat cake, rice cake, bits of cheese, carrot sticks (steamed), pepper sticks, a small piece of ham, slices of tomato.
I just try to be mindful of salt and portion sizes but other than that I try to go with the flow

Eta he is a brilliant eater compared to his brother at that age and although it may be his personality I would never go back to traditional weaning

There are loads of good ideas for finger foods here in the weaning thread - https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/weaning-nutrition/235747-finger-foods-list-10.html#post32283845

We started at 5.5 months, and my intention was to fully go with blw but we've ended up doing some spoon feeding as well. Really they should only have fruit and veg till 6m but the main one's to avoid are dairy and gluton. From about a week before 6m though I just gave everything. We started with roasted sweet potato wedges, brocoli and cauliflower florets, toast with diarylea or mashed banana, and soft fruit and veg cut into finger sized sticks.

My daughter is exactly the same age and I want to do blw too.
I have started by giving porridge in the morning - shelves this and eats a big bowl of it. We already give her tastes of things, so far she has sucked on banana, banana smeared toast, ricecakes, bean juice on toast to suck, mackeral fish to taste.
She is still with her tongue pushing chunks out so she isn't ready just yet for "proper chunky food" on her own. But I keep trying with different things as I don't want a daddy eater.
She is watching every mouth full we eat now and does want to taste things.

I'm planning on starting with cooked vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, roasted sweet potato, cucumber, sliced tomatoes, bananas, soft pears, other soft fruits such as watermelon, melon, pasta with either tomato or cheesy sauce on.

Then when she hasn't the pushing lumps out of the mouth reflux then will just give her things on her tray to try out.

Trouble is I go back to work when she is 6.5 months old so I know she'll be ready just as I go back!!!

True baby led weaning is no spoon feeding whatsoever. We gave foods like porridge and weetabix but he ate them with his hands (made thicker than usual) and progressed to pre loaded spoons. By one he was spoon feeding himself. As for finger foods, different shapes work at different stages of development - smaller as the pincer grip develops. We began with soft, steamed veg sticks, fruit, toast fingers with dips like hummus or avocado. Scrambled egg is good cooked in finger shapes, as is French toast.

My LO eats what we eat but minus the salt (we've relaxed a bit now he's over one). I'm just careful about choking hazards - cherry tomatoes, lumps of meat etc.

Check out the baby led weaning site, its fab!! Has all the info you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->