How to save the rice from takeaway for another day?

J

Jem88

When we order chinese, i always get fried rice & curry sauce and have often wanted to only eat half and save the other for the next day, but when i do, even if i keep the rice in the plastic tub in the fridge, it always goes hard. :shrug:

I was thinking of putting it straight into the freezer after i've eaten and then defrosting it the next day, will it still be "fresh" as in not hard? lol.

You're not actually suppose to reheat rice! I do though!

I generally shot it in the fridge then re-stir fry it......it's never gone hard for me

Cooked rice has to be handled very carefully - if you don't look after it it will grow bacteria that will give you nasty food poisoning, and unlike in other foods, once it's there no amount of re-heating gets rid of it. Ideally, rice should be cooked just before you eat it. If you want to keep it, you should cool and refridgerate it as quickly as possible - ideally within an hour. Then it should be used within 24 hours, and only re-heated once.

Fried rice from a takeaway is usually cooked and cooled the day before, then fried just before you buy it. So it has already been cooked, stored for 24 hours and re-heated.

Personally, I would bin anything that's left after eating the takeaway - keeping it for later means a strong chance of food poisoning.

I believe Chinese fried rice is traditionally made from already reheated rice so its even more risky. xx

I didn't know re-heated rice was bad and your not suppost to do it.. My mum/sisters always re-heat chinese fried rice the morning after and have never been ill lol.. Not sure why mine goes hard tho. I normally bin what i leave anyways as it's always been hard the next day lol.

It is usually ok to reheat it but like any other food poisoning bug, if you get it its extremely unpleasent. I have been poisoned by reheated rice before and it was horrible, worse than giving birth (poisoning from rice tends to cause really bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea as opposed to vomiting) xx

Yea as the others said rice is high risk for food poisoning, I was always told not to reheat it

I've always reheated it i just make sure it's extremely hot, i've never been ill before though. I would usually put a drop of water in with the rice and then chuck it in the microwave. It's hard when just out the fridge but once heated up it goes soft and tastes fine x

Most people I know always save Chinese for next day whenever iv had chinese with mates.
Its like the must thing instead of throwing it lol

Iv never been ill from it or friends but its whether you want to take the risk

Rice isnt supposed to be reheated and once I was very very ill from it, (my dad made curry and rice to take camping and ate it when we got there, but obviously it was in a Tupperware tub and had been in the car)

I do re heat rice though if it's been in the fridge

I always reheat it in the microwave if we have left overs. I've never been ill from eating it.

I was never ill from it until maybe last year? So I got away with it for a long time (28+ years!) but there is always a first time for everything. I have been fine with freshly cooked rice that has been put in the fridge ASAP and then rewarmed thoroughly, but I am talking fried rice and other traditional rice dishes (such as some pilaus) that are made with reheated rice, I have been poisoned by it from takeaways and also when a friend made me egg fried rice xx

I had food poisoning about 2 weeks ago from chinese takeaway and it was my first one ever.. No lie :haha: And
I really enjoyed it at the time. No advice on the rice situation but I will never eat Chinese food again :cry:

I had food poisoning about 2 weeks ago from chinese takeaway and it was my first one ever.. No lie :haha: And
I really enjoyed it at the time. No advice on the rice situation but I will never eat Chinese food again :cry:

That really sucks :( I cannot eat Chinese anymore but its because of the soya sauce and other soya in it, as I have developed a nasty intolerance to it :( xx

Don't ever reheat take away rice!!,! I did that and I was VERY sick and it was horrible

I also got food poisoning from take away fried rice a few weeks ago. It took me over a week to get over it.

I was gutted as it was the best fried rice id had in ages!!!

I always reheat rice and thankfully *touches wood* I've never been bad! I didn't even know that there was a risk

The thing is the type of poisoning you get from rice is totally dependent on how much bacteria there is in that batch of rice; and not how strong your stomach is like other food poisoning bugs can be-so you could have a stomach of steel used to eating all kinds of leftovers and risky food and still get badly poisoned by this particular bug. Even my Chinese friend used to get poisoned by reheated fried rice on occasion and she ate it a few times a week at home xx

I've always reheated it i just make sure it's extremely hot, i've never been ill before though. I would usually put a drop of water in with the rice and then chuck it in the microwave. It's hard when just out the fridge but once heated up it goes soft and tastes fine x

Ditto...same as you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"