I don't think I've been so happy to start in my whole life

i love baking. me and my husband want to ope a bakery some day. :) I'm more in to decorative deserts tho, I'll be making my husband his starwars xbox as a cake for his birthday coming up hehehe. and trust me once you get your baby you'll be glad this is converted to the easy way ;) haha

How cute. My hubby and I both love to cook, but I generally do all of the cooking and baking since he has to work every day. It's my dream to go to culinary school one day and have my own bakery as well, but I don't think it'll ever happen. Sigh.

i use to want to be a chef but my mother would never let me cook and when i did cook she told me i sucked. she did this with all of my talents that she failed at. i finally got to cook my first dinner a year ago when i moved with my husband and he can't get enough. i make enough for 6 people and he eats for 5 every time. i have no idea how that man only weighs 135 -.- i told him we need to switch weights. ill lose 20 lbs if he finds it. haha

Aw, I'm sorry your mother was not supportive of your talents. I hope you will encourage your baby when he gets older to explore any talent that he has. :)

I was lucky in that my family always let me cook a meal when I wanted. Both sets of grandmothers were lovely bakers and cooks, and I spent many years cooking alongside them in the kitchen. I was the go-to girl for birthday cakes and bake sale and, basically, whenever someone was craving something sweet. Anytime we go to my in-laws, they always ask me to cook dinner. I take big risks in the kitchen; I usually don't follow a recipe when I cook, and things almost always come out tasty. Baking is a different story, though- I have never really experimented with baking; I always have to follow a recipe because I'm scared that I'll mess it up. I figure if I ever get in to culinary school, then I'll have more freedom when it comes to baking, but we'll see.

My hubby is a big man- about 275 pounds- but every single male in his family is HUGE. They are all tall, too, so he doesn't look heavy. He is 6'3", and can definitely eat enough for three people. I can't believe your hubby eats so much but is so small! Lol! Guess he has a fast metabolism, which would explain why he's so hungry.

oh i never follow recipes except for this cake because my husband loves it so much. i dont have a single measuring cup or spoon in my house hehe. i loved bake sells when i was little i held my own bake sell when i was 11 at a Easter party and raised over 400 for the Indonesia relief fund, lot of it came from raffling off a 3-d standing up bunny, with matching carrots cupcakes. i want to make that bunny again. because im a smart ass i made it with carrot cake. haha

do you like seafood at all? theres a dish i always makes when i miss home(hawaii) it uses tuna steaks (ahi) if you like fish, lemon and garlic i can give you it ;) Olmost anything i make has garlic in it <3 and when i lived back home i ate a lemon a day, we had a lemon tree out back that produced lemons the size of grapefruits.

Well, I would hate to cut into a carrot-shaped cake and have it taste like chocolate! ;)

Yes, we both love seafood. Garlic is practically my favorite food ever. I will use garlic and onions as a foundation in most of my dishes. Mmmmm.

Ohohoh yay. For ahi I use 6 tuna steaks one whole sweet yellow onion cut into slivers. About 8 tablespoonsbutter 3 tablespoon olive oil 4 table spoons garlic table spoon lemon juice and teaspoons lime juice. All abouts of course. Last time I trippled the butter and galirc for the sauce to go over rice.

All you do is melt the butter over low medium heat with olive oil. Rub the tuna steaks with seasalt (to your taste) place in the pan with onions and garlic then fry on each side aproc 7 minutes or until white all the way threw. Add lemon and garlic juice about 3 minutes before flipping or when you place the the steaks in the pan if you prefer tougher meat(like I do). I prefer it served over rice and with corn(both with the ahi sauce on top.

What's your favorite dish?

Sounds delish! When tuna steaks go on sale, I will definitely be trying this. The only thing is that I prefer my tuna rare. Not sure about hubby, considering I've never cooked tuna for him at home (it's always too expensive).

To be honest, food is my passion and I love it all. There is not a single food in the world that I don't eat, except for horseradish (can't stand it, and I've tried it multiple times). I will try anything once, and if I don't like it, I will keep trying it just to make sure. If I was on death row and had to choose a last meal, I would have to pick a little bit of everything. I love to explore new dishes, new ideas, new flavors... And so, quite honestly, I don't have one dish that I can call my favorite. It's all wonderful. I was going to write out a list of my favorite things, but the list became too long (as I was pretty much listing everything that I've ever eaten, lol).

As for desserts, my favorite is tiramisu. How funny that I can name a favorite dessert, but not a favorite dish.

What are your favorites?

i've never had tiramisu. and if ou like it rare i would add all the ingredients in the frying pan untill the oinions are clear and then frys the tuna steaks just to grab the taste.

growing up in hawaii im going to say i diffenitly have a favrite. and that is garlic chicken. the asain kind, not the oven baked with seasoned garlic kind ;p and tako poke. omg. i love me some tako poke.

You've never had tiramisu!? Oh no no no. We must change this immediately. It is heaven on a plate. The best tiramisu I ever had was at a restaurant where I used to work, and they had it imported from Sicily. No other tiramisu can compare to this one. It is a dessert layered with ladyfingers, marscapone cheese, chocolate shavings, and coffee liquor. I drool just thinking about it. I have seen a few recipes online, and the best one that I can suggest is this:

CHOCOLATE TIRAMISU
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Yields 4-6 servings
Ingredients:
12 egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
2 pounds mascarpone cheese (at room temperature)
1 box ladyfinger cookies
1 pot strong American coffee
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 medium chunk dark chocolate

Make a strong pot of coffee or espresso and let it chill in the fridge completely.
Whip egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Once the mixture has reached a nice fluffy stage, fold in the mascarpone cheese or use the electric mixer on low.
Let the mixture set up in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes.
Pour cold coffee in a mixing bowl and add the vanilla extract.
Take a medium sized (6 x 9) baking dish, and spread a thin layer of the mascarpone cream mixture on the bottom.
Dip the cookies into the coffee and layer onto the cream. Repeat until the layer is covered.
With a cheese grater shave the chocolate on top of the cookies.
Repeat until the dish is full to the top.
Serve immediately or keep chilled in the fridge for later.

A more traditional tiramisu will have marsala wine, which you could always add to the coffee. It sweetens it and gives it amazing flavor. You don't want the cookies to be soggy, either, but they need to absorb some of the liquid so that they are no longer crunchy. Also, if you really like coffee, you can grate a little bit of espresso beans on top. Also, I suggest letting it chill in the fridge for a bit to let the flavors combine.

What is tako poke?

what would the directions be with added marsala wine? i'm not a huuuuge fan of coffe. haha so sweetened would be prefered

tako poke isssss pretty much cook octopus with green onions, seseme seeds and oil, chili flakes and garlic. haha

if you like raw tuna you mighhht like this.

2 lbs fresh ahi tuna
1 small round onion, julienne cut (Maui Onions preferred)
3 green onions, diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated fresh ginger
3 finely diced garlic cloves
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Chinese garlic chili sauce
1 teaspoon hawaiian sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt

chop ahi in 1/2 inch cubes and set aside in refrigerator
combine all other ingredients and let it refrigerate for at least 30 mins. when ready to serve toss ahi cubs into the mixture. serve cold, keep left overs tightly sealed.

Ah, definitely don't add the grated espresso bean on top. As for the wine, you would just add it to the coffee after it's brewed. It really depends on how strong you like the flavor. If you're not a huge fan of coffee, then I'd say use more wine than coffee. But it's purely up to you.

Ah, yes, I love raw tuna. Cooked tuna. Canned tuna. Seared tuna. All yummy.

The tako poke sounds good, too.

So you grew up in Hawaii, but now I see that you're in Georgia. Why the move? Have you learned to make all those delicious southern dishes like fried chicken and crab cakes?

my husband got out of the marine corps and wanted to move back to his home town. i can cook them but i dont. i can't handle them with no gallbladder. haha and i hate spicey stuff

It's understandable that you don't eat fatty foods since you don't have a gallbladder. Do you avoid spicy foods for that same reason, or you just don't like spicy, period? I grew up in New Mexico and ate chile on EVERYTHING, so for me, the spicier, the better. Mmm, enchiladas.

i love enchiladas but i have to avoid the yummiest part of it :/ I think spicy is delicious, but i cant handle it, not because of the gall bladder but because of my childhood baby sitter >( She would make me go to the corner and bite into a red savina pepper and let it just sit there for 5 minutes and if i made a noise during "timeout" I'd get another pepper for another 5 minutes. lets just say now when i have anything remotely spicy (even just too much black pepper) i become violently ill.

my brother did but he was also a big liar so they didn't believe him. and that was all from when i was 1-4yrs old so they thought when i said she did it i was just covering paul so he wouldn't get in trouble for lieing >o>plus you know how when you ask extreamly little kids a question its easy to lead them to an answer. so who'd believe a little kid and a liar over someone whos been watching there kids for 18 years? >o>

Have you tried telling them now that you're older?

Nah, didnt see what good it would do and i only remember it when someone brings up spicy food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->