• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I have a really, really silly question to ask...

what ive always wondered though is a jaffa cake a biscuit :wacko:

Ahhhhh the old Jaffa Cake/Biscuit debate.......I think Cake because it's sponge :shrug:

According to Wikipidia....

Jaffa Cakes are a biscuit-like cake in the United Kingdom and Ireland. McVitie and Price introduced the Jaffa Cake in 1927. Its creation is largely credited to John Langlands, a director of McVitie and Price. The cakes were named after Jaffa oranges, sweet oranges native to Jaffa.[1]

Jaffa Cakes are circular, 54 mm (2⅛ inches) in diameter and have three layers: a sponge cake base, a layer of orange flavoured jelly and a coating of dark chocolate. [2] The basic way to prepare a Jaffa cake entails baking a fatless sponge and adding jam and chocolate to taste.[3]

Under UK law, no Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are subject to VAT, currently 17.5%. McVities classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise and the case ended up before the courts.[4] This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit, and particularly because they are commonly eaten alongside, or instead of, traditional biscuits. The court asked "What criteria should be used to class something as a cake?"

McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.[5]

McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes

There was actually a court case over it :wacko::haha:

For some reason the thought of biscuits ( i know you ment cookies) in hot chocolate gave me the urge to throw up. :l

what ive always wondered though is a jaffa cake a biscuit :wacko:

Ahhhhh the old Jaffa Cake/Biscuit debate.......I think Cake because it's sponge :shrug:

According to Wikipidia....

Jaffa Cakes are a biscuit-like cake in the United Kingdom and Ireland. McVitie and Price introduced the Jaffa Cake in 1927. Its creation is largely credited to John Langlands, a director of McVitie and Price. The cakes were named after Jaffa oranges, sweet oranges native to Jaffa.[1]

Jaffa Cakes are circular, 54 mm (2⅛ inches) in diameter and have three layers: a sponge cake base, a layer of orange flavoured jelly and a coating of dark chocolate. [2] The basic way to prepare a Jaffa cake entails baking a fatless sponge and adding jam and chocolate to taste.[3]

Under UK law, no Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are subject to VAT, currently 17.5%. McVities classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise and the case ended up before the courts.[4] This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit, and particularly because they are commonly eaten alongside, or instead of, traditional biscuits. The court asked "What criteria should be used to class something as a cake?"

McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.[5]

McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes

PMSL ! I cant beleive there was a court case over it that's mad !
i just always wondered cause there in the biscuit isle & you can get jaffa cake bars which are like actual cake :wacko: hmmmm
they should call them jaffa biscuits :dohh:

i
dont
believe
i
missed
this
thread
:haha:
bejeebus...well im now tucking into a load of chocolate hobnobs now girls - cheers for that.
My grandparents do teatime, coz they have breakfast round 8, a big proper lunch around 12/1 (like dinner) and then teatime is usually a snadwhich/leftovers from lunch/bag of crisps etc.
It used to b the same way all over britain untill everything became so work focused and it was out of the norm to go home for ur lunch xxx

kris, my grandparents did the same.

What about clubs and penguins and such, what do people call these, oh says they are choclate, but I'd say chocolate biscuits

kris, my grandparents did the same.

What about clubs and penguins and such, what do people call these, oh says they are choclate, but I'd say chocolate biscuits

i call them biscuits too, sometimes ill say can i have a biscuit then if someone asks what kind ill say a choclate one, referring to something in a wrapper

Hhaha I love this thread. I love colloquial language and phrases. It's funny how I think it's mad that in America the term biscuit isn't known or understood by possibly many!! I'm from Ireland and we call potates 'spuds' alot yet when you go anywhere even near Ireland like England they don't have a clue what you mean! And I remember when I first heard the English expression 'all my days' I remember thinking 'why would you say that??' lol. It's great :D Long live funny words and expressions!! x
isnt it "oh my days"? :D
and yer it means oh my god lool xx

anyone else really want a biscuit now? lol
yes! :dohh:

lmao! :D

yeah i'd call them biscuits, they're bordering on chocolate though... i think twix and mars etc though are chocolate.

ellie, why am i posh for having breakfast, lunch and tea? :cry:

i remember when i was a kid my nana would always make me porridge for "supper" but i didnt know what supper was cos we didnt have it in our house so whenever kids at school talked about having their "supper" ie "tea" i just thought they meant porridge.
i thought supper = porridge for years :dohh:

So... what are crumpets? LMAO. I'm sorry that I have all of these questions, I'm just so intrigued lmao. I'm getting really hungry reading though, especially about the chocolate "biscuits". Yum. x)

mmmmmmmmmm crumpets
*dies*
i prefer muffins though tbh!
english muffins not the sweet ones :winkwink:
these are crumpets:

Attachments

• crumpets.jpg
    crumpets.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 39
o my god crumpets are mmmm mmmm mmmm
u toast them, and theyr full of little holes so wen u put butter on them it seeps through it
mmmmmmmm

Ohh so crumpets are just like our "english muffins" which now makes a ton of sense lol. I love those.

i LOVE this thread, this has got to be the first 6 page thread that i have read each and every post and laughed the hole way through :haha: My Ultimate Fave...? I think sooooo :thumbup: :happydance: :D X

theyr kinda like them but i think english muffins are tougher?
Crumpets have like a solid base but they rise to be quite light and scrummy XD xxx

Yeah we have english muffins AND crumpets here.. crumpets are like softer.. English muffins are where its at... mmmmm

I love crumpets warm with peanut butter... the PB goes all melty and its so good

sorry to butt in but thought id ask since its kinda on topic...ish lol. Why are hot cross buns called 'hot' cross buns, when there cold? :shrug: x

i LOVE this thread, this has got to be the first 6 page thread that i have read each and every post and laughed the hole way through :haha: My Ultimate Fave...? I think sooooo :thumbup: :happydance: :D X

I'm quite glad someone else can get some use out of it. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->