I think it's very harsh to arrest him...

hawalkden

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16568760.

how can he be blamed for the accident and the rock being there. The Sat Nav should have told him it was there so i see it as a tecno fault and not the Captain.

Hope he doesn't get arrested.

R.I.P for the ones who lost their lifes, but I'm sure the Captain didn't mean to case it at all!

he got arrested because he left the ship before everyone else was off.
the captain should always be the last person to leave any ship/boat.
& they didnt do a practice emergancy drill so no one knew where they were meant to go or what to do..

theres still 15 people missing.

I think he deserved to be arrested for the fact he abandoned hundreds and hundreds of his crew and passengers at 11.00pm let alone the fact that he was off course and sailing a strip of water sailed every single week! As said in many reports things don't add up with this story!

He deserves to be arrested he sailed the ship of course that's his fault there's reports he was drinking in the bar when the ship hit the rock plus he was one of the 1st of the ship. Such a shame fir all the passengers x

It's the fact that he abandoned ship before all the passengers were accounted for and evacuated. Did you ever see Titanic, and the way the captain went back into his control room resigned to the fact that he was going to go down with his ship at the end? That is the general rule of thumb for a captain of a ship - unless everyone is safe, you stay til the bitter end.

Playing devils advocate though, I bet it was scary staring his own death in the face like that and maybe he panicked. Still, I think he deserved to be arrested because of what previous posters have mentioned.

xx

is it really part of the "job description" that you must stay aboard the ship until everyone else is safe? :|

Yes, its your responsibility as captain to make sure everyone else is taken care of before you leave, the whole "going down with the ship" thing is more of an old code of honour x

The fact he was one of the first off and left the rest to fend for themselves is awful. He had a responsibility to the passengers and crew and if reports that he was drinking in the bar are true he deserves to be arrested

He should not of left asking the first few that did. Awful.

He shouldn't of been one of the first to leave, Captians must stay aboard until the last person is rescued.

The fact he was one of the first off and left the rest to fend for themselves is awful. He had a responsibility to the passengers and crew and if reports that he was drinking in the bar are true he deserves to be arrested

If they are true it as shocking! Therefore he went on to actively put lives in danger!

He absoloutly deserved to be arrested, his his ship, his responsibility is with his passengers, its disgusting that he left the ship before all were safe. It must have been awful for him, but ultimatly its his fault it struck the rock so he stays till everyone is safe.... Just my opinion

I heard it on the radio before and was like Whatttt that's harsh, I didn't realise it was an offence to abandon ship, I thought it was just 'the done thing' to be the last off, Reid t realise there was a law?

But it must have been an awful position to be in, (I don't know the full story, if he was drinking or what) but if he had a family, can you imagine explaining to his kids they didn't have a daddy, or grandkids they no longer have a grandad because he had to wait..? In those situations you out yourself first and you save your own life..most people panic and don't think the situation through properly!

I heard the captain acted in a 'clumsy manner' when approaching the shore and that human error was the 'main' cause but it was dark the rocks were not shown on a map or detected on the ships sat nav and apparrently he and some crew were the last ones to leave the ship apart from the ones obviously trapped or in or under the water.........

obviously he needs to take responsibilty if he wasnt doing his job properly and caused the accident but as for leaving the ship before passengers i dont feel that he should be punished by a prison sentence for that..... loose his job yeah... but not a prison sentence...........NO ONE knows how they will act in that situation until they are in it.........we dont 100% know how we will react so i think its utterly ridiculous for him to get up to 12 years in prison for that..........its human nature, fight or flight x

He totally deserved to be arrested.
He was also seen drinking in the bar beforehand.

If he was found to be negligent in his duties and abandoned ship before all the passengers had left then yes he should be arrested.

However we shouldn't pass judgement without knowing all the details. He may of been in the bar but he may not of actually been drinking. He may of left the ship before all the passengers were off but he may of thought that there were all off.

As a sea captain you undertake certain responsibilities like a Doctor would under Hippocratic oath. My husband as a Project Engineer is legally responsible for ensuring that all engineering he signs off on Oil Platforms is correct otherwise in a court of law - he can and will be sent to prison if anyone should die or be injured, and that has happened within his company a couple of years ago - luckily the courts did not find his colleagues responsible for the death. Its part and parcel of some jobs. There's a reason some people get paid a lot for some jobs.
Tony Hayword from BP (remember that oil spill in golf of Mexico) is facing a court and prison sentence for that incident because he signed off the work - despite the mistake being caused by Transocean (a sub-contractor oil company who did UN-authorised work)

A ships captain has many responsibilities and he should not have left the ship until all passengers and crew were accounted for. That's what he signed up for being a ships captain and he will have to take responsibility for leaving the ship if he did.
"The captain has special responsibilities when the ship or its cargo are damaged, when the ship causes damage to other vessels or facilities, and in the case of injury or death of a crewmember or passenger. The master acts as a liaison to local investigators[22] and is responsible for providing complete and accurate logbooks, reports, statements and evidence to document an incident.[23] Specific examples of the ship causing external damage include collisions (two ships collide with each other), allisions (one ship collides with another), grounding the vessel, and dragging anchor.[24] Some common causes of cargo damage include heavy weather, water damage, pilferage, and damage caused during loading/unloading by the stevedores.[25] Finally, the master is responsible to address any medical issues affecting the passengers and crew by providing medical care as possible, cooperating with shore-side medical personnel, and, as necessary, evacuating those who need more assistance than can be provided on-board the ship"

I haven't read all the articles, I find the media like to dramatise things and I don't believe all the speculation but either way, if he did leave the ship, its not harsh to arrest him, its law.

From what Ive read not only did he leave the ship but he had taken the ship of its planned route by in which took it closer to what it hit

line has a mini map from "thesun" of how he changed the route
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4063013/Survivors-tell-of-cruise-ship-terror.html

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    187.9 KB · Views: 8
the ship was supposed to go round the islands but he went through them from what ive heard & seen

He may have been arrested but im guessing he hasn't been formally charged with anything. They will need to complete the investigation before they can charge him. Its not looking good for him though and at the end of the day he has the responsibility to look after every person on the ship. If the media are correct then he has been very neglectful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->