I think it's very harsh to arrest him...

He's definitely hiding something!

I agree with what they are saying, he was closer than he says he was.

As they say 'The captain is always last to leave his ship' clearly not for this fool.

Completely fair that he's been arreseted, its his job and he has a duty of care to his passengers and crew.

Im appalled at his cowardly conversation with the coastguard, he sounded so weak and scared. He must've assumed it'd never happen to him but it did and he wasnt able to live up to his role.

He has lives on his hands and he deserves everything her gets.

Captain Coward was rightfully arrested. He was ordered to go back to his ship yet he still didn't. His job was to help people get to safety yet he was one of the first of the ship. I won't even express how stupid he was to be that close to land in the first place. Bloody idiot.

Not only is it his duty to stay with the ship where is his moral compass.?? How do you let this happen and then jump off and leave your crew and passengers?
Just like in our army they always bring home the dead, they risk their lives just to make sure they leave no man or women behind . That man should be ashamed of himself, he is a coward in my opinion. Very sad..:nope: I hope he is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law..

because he veered totally off course?

because he SAT IN ONE OF THE NEEDED LIFEBOATS whilst people scrambled to get everyone off the ship in the other lifeboats?

because he called abandoned ship and then didnt even hang around/go back to see if everyone was alright?

he had millions of pounds of equipment and thousands of lives in his control, you dont just decide to veer off course in that situation and you certainly dont call abandon ship and then sit in a lifeboat out of the danger zone whilst those who have placed their trust in you, women, children and disabled, sit on a boat waiting for a rescue operation that YOU should be in charge of.

he is accountable on many levels, he could get 15 years JUST for leaving an abandoned ship with people still on board, let alone the many charges of manslaughter.

his behaviour has been inappropriate. Fortunately much of it has been recorded so i doubt he will be getting away with it!

Honestly I think its a pathetic rule to say that the captain must be the last off. He's a human being at the end of the day, how many of us can honestly say if death was inevitable if no action was taken we'd take it? Its natural for survival instinct to kick in.

Admittedly though, if its true he had been drinking and he deliberately put lives in danger then I do think its pretty selfish to leave all passengers and crew alone, he should have stayed. He should be prosecuted in my opinion, for changing course but not for saving his own life.

But in a normal circumstance, I wouldn't blame a captain for leaving the ship, maybe not the first off, but if he can save himself after most people have been saved then I would say he's within is rights to do so and shouldn't be judged for it. They're only human at the end of the day and more than likely have families waiting for them at home.

because he SAT IN ONE OF THE NEEDED LIFEBOATS whilst people scrambled to get everyone off the ship in the other lifeboats?

because he called abandoned ship and then didnt even hang around/go back to see if everyone was alright?

he had millions of pounds of equipment and thousands of lives in his control, you dont just decide to veer off course in that situation and you certainly dont call abandon ship and then sit in a lifeboat out of the danger zone whilst those who have placed their trust in you, women, children and disabled, sit on a boat waiting for a rescue operation that YOU should be in charge of.

he is accountable on many levels, he could get 15 years JUST for leaving an abandoned ship with people still on board, let alone the many charges of manslaughter.

his behaviour has been inappropriate. Fortunately much of it has been recorded so i doubt he will be getting away with it!

There is Photographic evidence to show another of the Liner companies ships sailing about 200m from the spot this one crashed. So I do not think that the decision to sail there was entirely the captains. However, he is a Captain, he is in charge of that ship and so it is his duty to make sure that his passengers are safe and accounted for. Like a Teacher on a School trip.
When you think of the number of people whose lives are basically in his hands.

he didnt hang around to see if most of the people had been saved! The abandon ship rule is there for a reason, its so that there is someone who knows the ship really well, who can make sure the rescue is happening properly, who can comfort people, help the injured and sort everything out.

you have to remember it was pitch black, no one had a clue what was going on and the captain who knew the ship best of all was just hanging around in a lifeboat!

had he got on a lifeboat, steered it round and used it to get people to safety, he would not be in this position...

There is Photographic evidence to show another of the Liner companies ships sailing about 200m from the spot this one crashed. So I do not think that the decision to sail there was entirely the captains. However, he is a Captain, he is in charge of that ship and so it is his duty to make sure that his passengers are safe and accounted for. Like a Teacher on a School trip.
When you think of the number of people whose lives are basically in his hands.

sorry we cross posted x

200m is a looong way when your that close to a reef x

Its a bit like a teacher on a coach trip running away and leaving the kids in danger. It was his responsibility to ensure everyones safety.

Honestly I think its a pathetic rule to say that the captain must be the last off. He's a human being at the end of the day, how many of us can honestly say if death was inevitable if no action was taken we'd take it? Its natural for survival instinct to kick in.

Admittedly though, if its true he had been drinking and he deliberately put lives in danger then I do think its pretty selfish to leave all passengers and crew alone, he should have stayed. He should be prosecuted in my opinion, for changing course but not for saving his own life.

But in a normal circumstance, I wouldn't blame a captain for leaving the ship, maybe not the first off, but if he can save himself after most people have been saved then I would say he's within is rights to do so and shouldn't be judged for it. They're only human at the end of the day and more than likely have families waiting for them at home.

But at the end of the day he knew the law and rules of his job before he set sail, if you cant handle the responsability dont do the job.
He knew what faced him by leaving those in his care stranded so he already chose him fate and should face his punishment especialy as there is the body of a little girl still unfound

But at the end of the day he knew the law and rules of his job before he set sail, if you cant handle the responsability dont do the job.
He knew what faced him by leaving those in his care stranded so he already chose him fate and should face his punishment especialy as there is the body of a little girl still unfound

I get that, I agree he's been irresponsible and unreliable, but I don't think someone should be punished for saving their life. He's human, its natural to panic, yes its in his contract but no one really knows how they'd react until it happens to them. Abandoning them straight away admittedly is cowardly when he could of helped, but if he knew most of his passengers were safe then I wouldn't judge him for leaving. I was mainly speaking of captains in general though.

He was repeatidly told to get back to his ship though, by the coastguards.. and he didnt :shrug: There was no way he would have known most of the passengers were safe, and besides, loads were/are still missing :nope:. All captains have a responsibility to their ship and their passengers and staff. He cocked up BIG time.

First off the people on that ship had no idea of where the emergency exits where life jackets and other critical information and if they did have an idea of where this stuff was they didn't remember they were to scared too., that is why the captain is the captain. I can't imagine the fear of a person trying desperately to get off or trying to get their child to safety and not knowing what to do. The captain is supposed to keep calm and direct people to safety, that is his job and his duty.

How a person can save themselves without trying to save others is beyond me, even me a regular person would have helped strangers. Those poor people must have been panicked and this person in charge of his vessel and crew jumps off and leaves them without anything? Yes he should go to jail and be punished, he is a coward and he knew the rules before swearing into his job, he had a responsibility and all he showed was he is and was a coward.

Just heard on the news, the Captain's excuse for leaving the boat was "I slipped & fell in a lifeboat"

Heh how crap is that excuse!
'i was up a ladder nude and Fell in the fruit basket and the banana was vertical'

I'm sorry but I don't think its a pathetic rule at all.

He is trained in many different ways to deal with these situations. He applied for the job and agreed to undertake these roles should need be.

I understand that we may all deal with things differently, but ultimately leaving someone who is less able, scared and unsure of what to do, while he is trained and understand 'the seas' better. He is irresponsible, a coward and should never have agreed to a post he would not do.

He deserves to be arrested.

:cry: Its so sad.

I really can't imagine the fear of everyone on that ship.
Especially the ones who had kids to get to safety as well as themselves.

I'd be beside myself if I was in the pitch black with my kids in my arms trying to escape a sinking ship :cry: Its too much to think about.

He was a selfish c*nt and should've stayed and helped more people to safety rather than think about his self!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->