I think it's very harsh to arrest him...

I agree, he shouldnt have left so early.

However, on the radio yday i was listening to radio2 :blush: and a lady was on saying she was in a similar situation years and years ago and she was in a lifeboat with a mum and her kids and the dad shoved her back on the boat and took her space. I don't blame that dad one bit. If I was in that situation, my priority is my family and myself. If we're all safe and I can help, I will but I wont put strangers before us I'm afraid. My kiddies need me as much as I need them.
me and my mum were discussing what we'd do if our ward went up in flames and we both said we'd help if we could but we're not going to waste minutes on patients who resisted us cos they were paniced or patients who couldnt walk etc. Its sad but you have to look after yourself too :shrug:

:cry: Its so sad.

I really can't imagine the fear of everyone on that ship.
Especially the ones who had kids to get to safety as well as themselves.

I'd be beside myself if I was in the pitch black with my kids in my arms trying to escape a sinking ship :cry: Its too much to think about.

He was a selfish c*nt and should've stayed and helped more people to safety rather than think about his self!

I know, it makes me feel sick too :(

He abandoned his post and left his passengers to die. It's a dereliction of duties and he deserves to be charged. On the news yesterday they played a transcript of the lifeguard asking where he was and he had been on dry land for 60 minutes while that ship capsized .

V xxx

its stuff like this that makes me NEVER wan to go on a cruise!

I was ment to be on the zeebruge ferry the night it sank, we missed the ferry on our returne from a day trip by about 10 minutes because my nan suddenly freaked out she hated boats so we had to wait for the next ferry, half an hour later we found out it sank just after leaving port killing nearly 200 people

Just out of curiousity if a soldier abandoned his post and left cevilians to die should he be court martialed

Just out of curiousity if a soldier abandoned his post and left cevilians to die should he be court martialed

Certainly used to be that way. I've a feeling if someone leaves the forces without being discharged they do get a court martial.

I was ment to be on the zeebruge ferry the night it sank, we missed the ferry on our returne from a day trip by about 10 minutes because my nan suddenly freaked out she hated boats so we had to wait for the next ferry, half an hour later we found out it sank just after leaving port killing nearly 200 people

Scary! Maybe your grab 'sensed' something??

Someone said this yesterday to me, there's also far more plane crashes yearly than cruise disasters but she still flies!
So many people have said it but theses types of things are so rare now, and in all honesty you've mor chance of getting off a sinking ship alive than a plane going down! I've done a cruise and I have to say I felt more at ease on there than I ever do flying!
I can't imagine the fear of everyone on board and all the videos coming out as well, why on earth are they filming it in their phones?! Be the last thing on my mind.

Someone said this yesterday to me, there's also far more plane crashes yearly than cruise disasters but she still flies!
So many people have said it but theses types of things are so rare now, and in all honesty you've mor chance of getting off a sinking ship alive than a plane going down! I've done a cruise and I have to say I felt more at ease on there than I ever do flying!
I can't imagine the fear of everyone on board and all the videos coming out as well, why on earth are they filming it in their phones?! Be the last thing on my mind.

thats why im terrified of flying also :haha:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16568760.

how can he be blamed for the accident and the rock being there. The Sat Nav should have told him it was there so i see it as a tecno fault and not the Captain.

Hope he doesn't get arrested.

R.I.P for the ones who lost their lifes, but I'm sure the Captain didn't mean to case it at all!

How can he blaimed for the accident ????
because he steared off course straight towards the island. I can understand those that dont agree with him being arrrsted for jumping ship but how can anyone say he didnt cause it and shouldnt be blaimed at all, he got people killed some of them children

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16568760.

how can he be blamed for the accident and the rock being there. The Sat Nav should have told him it was there so i see it as a tecno fault and not the Captain.

Hope he doesn't get arrested.

R.I.P for the ones who lost their lifes, but I'm sure the Captain didn't mean to case it at all!

How can he blaimed for the accident ????
because he steared off course straight towards the island. I can understand those that dont agree with him being arrrsted for jumping ship but how can anyone say he didnt cause it and shouldnt be blaimed at all, he got people killed some of them children

Agreed :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I imagine that most captains would have reacted (before the crash) the way he did, it would have been usual to fraternise with the staff, have a bit of a drink etc... Unfortunately letting things slack like that is going to cause problems and it's just very fortunately that this didn't happen in the middle of the ocean.

I think massive all round changes will be made, both by captains on a personal level and also by the companies and technology involved x

I'm happy the company the prat works for has decided not to fund his legal team!. He isn't going to have a chance!.

I think what everyone needs to remember is Sea Captains by LAW are LEGALLY held to do all they can to ensure everyone is off the ship before leaving in event of an accident. They know this, they signed up for this. He could have said no and not become a Sea Captain, but he chose this position and he signed up for it. He should be held responsible for any lives lost regardless of what the cause of accident is.

And smokey...yup you still get a court martial for abandoning the forces. Hubby was an RAF Officer..checked with him.

I can't stop thinking about how he left children and people unable to save themselves on the boat in pure fear and the inability to make definate/informed choices while he...the CAPTAIN jumps (sorry 'falls') in the first life boat possible and off he pops.

If I was on the ship and watched my captain sail off on a life boat, I think I would give up, thinking there would be absolutely no hope for me if my captain has done one.

The amount of people who may have just 'given up' or felt totally doomed and deserted seeing that.

So sad that as a captain he would have enjoyed and revelled no doubt in the 'fame' and respect given to him, but he couldn't prove that he deserved it when needed :nope:

I doubt they would have seen him, it was pitch black and he 'forgot' to fire flares

True...I still suppose though that the rumour itself of his departure would have made my heart sunk.

He should have stayed on board. He is now saying he fell into the lifeboat - stupid man. I'm sure the emergency drill was done. I've cruised three times and a lot of my family cruise too and it's basically the first thing you do when you get onboard, put your life jacket on and go to your 'muster station'. It's not something they could or would just decide to skip. In the end we are all human and don't react the way we are taught in a drill when it comes to the real emergency! That goes for the captain too, he is human and was scared but he should have stayed on that ship until the bitter end. If I was on a cruise ship that started to have difficulties I would fully expect to survice and it is just awful that this turned into a tragedy.

He should have stayed on board. He is now saying he fell into the lifeboat - stupid man. I'm sure the emergency drill was done. I've cruised three times and a lot of my family cruise too and it's basically the first thing you do when you get onboard, put your life jacket on and go to your 'muster station'. It's not something they could or would just decide to skip. In the end we are all human and don't react the way we are taught in a drill when it comes to the real emergency! That goes for the captain too, he is human and was scared but he should have stayed on that ship until the bitter end. If I was on a cruise ship that started to have difficulties I would fully expect to survice and it is just awful that this turned into a tragedy.

No they didnt do the emergancy drill, it was schedualed for the following night but should have been done much sooner so they never got round to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->