I think our dog has become our "child"

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Okaaay, this is going to sound really weird! My boyfriend and I have wanted a dog for years, and we finally felt ready to commit to rescuing a dog a fortnight ago. Since then, my broodiness has subsided quite a bit, as we are genuinely treating this dog like a baby! We are referring to each other as "mummy" and "daddy" :wacko: and basically are treating this dog like it is a baby. It sits on our knees all the time and we literally give it constant attention and spend all our disposable income on him ...

You might be imagining some small terrier/lap dog here - he is a German shepherd cross! Waaay too bit to comfortably sit on your knee!

We do the same with my dog :) DH is daddy and I am mommy lol it's cite. I love my pooch!! Especially spoiling him with toys and clothes! He just got groomed today as well and is now in a little sweater ha ha

Yeah my dog is defintely my baby. He is baby sized so that helps, but yeah I am Mummy and OH is Daddy!! He sleeps under the covers with me too! I reckon he will be very put out when I have a real baby!

Me and hubby are Mummy and Daddy to our cat, he is spoiled rotten and is definitely our baby. He is very ill though and is not going to be with us much longer :cry:. Whenever I phone the vet, I have to stop myself saying 'Hi, it's George's Mum'. He's the centre of the household and he's got us both wrapped round his little finger (paw?).

I think it's normal for families to treat their pets as babies/a family member. and honestly, isn't that the whole point? :winkwink::thumbup:

before i had to give up my dog 4 years ago DH and i treated her like our baby. i will always always always cherish the memories of when pregnant with DS because she would rest her head on my belly and look at me worriedly/lovingly. then DS would move or kick her and she'd look at my belly as if to say, "excuse YOU!" :rofl:

Me and hubby are Mummy and Daddy to our cat, he is spoiled rotten and is definitely our baby. He is very ill though and is not going to be with us much longer :cry:. Whenever I phone the vet, I have to stop myself saying 'Hi, it's George's Mum'. He's the centre of the household and he's got us both wrapped round his little finger (paw?).
the first vet visit my cat had they asked, "what's his name?" and i said, "merlin lancelot young". :dohh: the woman laughed and said, "that's a nice name...but we really only need his first name"...

We refer to each other as mummy and daddy when we are talking to our cat. I'm visiting my parents and just got an email from my partner saying that our cat was missing her mummy. The cat has my last name at the vets and my partner (who I did ask and he said it didn't matter but that was before we'd had her long) got upset when he realised. He doesn't like being the odd one out.

We're the same with our dog, he's our baby :). All of the people I know who had dogs before babies have said that having a dog is the best preparation for having a baby as you get used to having an extra 'person' around, making sacrifices and sharing your time with your OH.

Same here....we have 2 dogs and they are for sure our babies. I talk to them regularly about their "mama" ( my partner) and we feel confident that we work well together because of how we work together with the dogs.

Do be careful with babying the dog too much though, he/she may start testing his boundaries and develop some bad habits. Start your relationship with him by setting the rules from day one, and think of the future when you are thinking what those may be. For example, him getting used to sitting on your lap might not be such a great idea when you are holding future baby, but if you allow it for x amount of time and all of a sudden he is reprimanded for it when baby comes, you may run into problems

(Anyhow... sorry for the mini dog lesson, just have a lot of dog experience and want what's best for them!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->