I Think That I Am Having Twins

In my opinion, it's mostly annoying because any research (that is legitimate research) says that while certain things can increase your chances of twins the ONLY way to know is an ultrasound. That's it... No HCG count, morning sickness is always subjective, and belly size in the 1st trimester is never because of the baby. So the "I think I'm having twins" post is just about getting attention. Ask any woman in this group, and I'm positive they'll tell you that having twins is one of the toughest things theyve ever gone through.

It's the same thing as girls who post in 1st Tri that they think they're pregnant two days after they're "sure" they ovulated. Yes, you have the right to post it, just as I have the right to roll my eyes. Everyone knows you can't find out you're pregnant that early, and everyone knows a pregnancy test, not a feeling, is the only way to know if you're pregnant.

You're allowed to post whatever you want wherever you want... But to me, the "I think I'm having twins" is just a way of saying, "I need more attention than just BEING pregnant". I personally didn't even post in the multiples section until I was 18 weeks or so...

Sorry if this came off rude, it's just my opinion.

I don't see why it bothers people for someone to post they think they are having twins and it turns out to be one baby. Mine is turning out to be one baby. I just can't help but wonder if someone is bothered or annoyed by this kind of post then why read it? I'm not trying to be rude in saying this but if we think we are having twins then we have the right to post it. Having to read people's I hate this kind of thread response makes it harder and more embarrassing for the OP to post they are not having twins.

We read it as it posted in the multiples section. We read the thread to give the op a fair chance to say why they suspect they are having twins. But sometimes the basis for their suspicions have no basis and we don't want to offer false hope. Fair enough, you thought you had a good chance based on your symptoms and don't know that most women that are pregnant with multiples did not get the exaggerated symptoms alot of these websites claim we do.

I take my hat off to you for coming back to this thread and letting us know that you are having one baby! Alot of women won't even bother and that is more annoying. Thanks for having the decency to do that.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and wishing you a H&H 9 months :flower:

it's not the amount of babies or anything it is the repetitiveness is what gets me and normally we do bite our tongues, sorry it came out on your post. we understand being curios and wanting a little insight but if most of the posters of thread like this would just scroll back a page or two, they could read the previous post on this subject. i would say there is at least 2 or 3 a week asking the same thing if not more.

I am glad that you did come back to let us know and hope you have a H&H 9 Months.

I don't see why it bothers people for someone to post they think they are having twins and it turns out to be one baby. Mine is turning out to be one baby. I just can't help but wonder if someone is bothered or annoyed by this kind of post then why read it? I'm not trying to be rude in saying this but if we think we are having twins then we have the right to post it. Having to read people's I hate this kind of thread response makes it harder and more embarrassing for the OP to post they are not having twins.

I think that this thread became so big that people moved on from the original topic and forgot really, that it's your thread and it's a bit unfair to say "I hate this type of thread". Lots and lots of similar threads are posted - they're all 10 posts long rather than this one which is 10 pages long - you really stirred up some good discussions! :)

You're definitely not being rude in asking why, and as someone who is pregnant with twins I'll tell you why some threads irritate me a little (not this thread!)

1. I think that some OP's are looking for a "special" pregnancy, like having one baby isn't special enough. This bothers me the most - any pregnancy is wonderful and to be celebrated, not wished away because they think that 2 babies is even better.

2. Most threads asking about twins get the same responses - "No, that doesn't mean you're likely to have twins". Somehow, they always seem to skip the posts that say - that isn't like my symptoms at all, and other posts that say those were my singleton symptoms. They reply to the one person who said they matched those symptoms and "Yes, so you also had high HCG, did that triple? What were your rated at 16dpo?!" (For example).

3. Therefore, Most of the time replying to these threads feels like you're talking to someone who doesn't want to listen, or your peeing on someone's parade. Neither are particularly fun things to do!!

4. There are many many many threads all asking the same questions, sometimes 3 in the first page. As someone with twins, interested in twin posts you just find these threads and you are just always repeating yourself if you want to help.

5. Some of the time their reason for thinking it's twins is stupid, like not being able to wear any of their jeans when they're only 4 weeks pregnant. 2 poppy seed sized babies can't cause you to gain 10 pounds!

5. Some of the time their reason for thinking it's twins is stupid, like not being able to wear any of their jeans when they're only 4 weeks pregnant. 2 poppy seed sized babies can't cause you to gain 10 pounds!

^^ WSS!!! :thumbup:

Sorry to keep this thread going even longer, but as someone who had the twin feeling, I feel like I should weigh in. :flower:

My MS started at 3+6. At 6 weeks, I could feel the top of my uterus right above the line of my pubic bone. As this is my first pregnancy, I was surprised to feel a "bump" so soon. That's when the idea of twins crept into my mind, and it never left. At 7 weeks, I had to buy new jeans. At 9+4, as we were about to get our first ultrasound, I told the sonographer, "We have to check if there are two in there." I wasn't surprised when her mouth dropped and there they were, two little beans.

Maybe it was just a lucky guess. Maybe it's my intuition; I've been spot-on about everything else this pregnancy. I knew I was pregnant three days after I ovulated. I knew it was twins. I knew they were girls. Apparently, the weird intuition runs in the family - my mother and grandmother were the same way. (Maybe it's all because my grandmother was from New Orleans and we have a bit of that crazy voodoo in us. :haha:)

Anyway. My point is: I completely understand where people are coming from when they say they feel like they're having twins. I was in their position at one point. I thought about posting, but I didn't. The chances were slim. Twins didn't run in my family. (Actually, when I had the twin feeling, I did think they'd be fraternal. My mestrual cycle the month before I got pregnant was only 17 days long and I didn't ovulate; I thought that if I was pregnant with twins, it was because my body ovulated eggs from both cycles the month I conceived.) Honestly, what were the odds? Me? Never. Twins happen to other people.

I don't mind the posts so much. I understand that a lot of people need to be told they aren't crazy for thinking it's twins. Maybe some people need reassurance and maybe some people just want to know if anyone else has felt the same way and been right about carrying two. I can imagine it gets old for some of the ladies that are farther along than myself, or for some of the twin moms that have been here longer. But I understand. I really do.

It does bother me when people say "I wish it was twins," or "I hope it's twins." Because, honey, these 23 weeks have been the hardest of my life, and I've still got more to come. I never, ever want to be pregnant with twins again. Ever. I love my girls and I am so glad I have both of them, and I know they'll be worth it, but this - twin pregnancy - it's not very fun.

Anyway. Sorry for writing a novel. Congratulations on your baby and I hope you have a very happy and healthy 9 months. :flower:

To be honest I expected you were having only one, but didn't expect you'd come back and post that you were! Don't be embarrassed, it's not often we actually see someone that suspects twins actually having twins!
I suspected twins with my second pregnancy so much that I had a scan at 6 weeks just to check, just one baby! 3rd time didnt suspect at all and then had twins. You never know, you might just have twins next time! (if you have any more pregnancies)!

Generally tho, most people that come on here suspecting they are having twins and actually have twins carry very strong twin genes (they are a twin, or their mother/sister had twins) and end up with fraternal twins. As opposed to basing it on symptoms.

I don't see the harm in "I think it's twins" posts... How is it any different from the "I think I'm pregnant" posts where people post those strips and ask people to find faint lines? ...I don't see anyone responding to those with "you people are so annoying, shut up and wait till you're pregnant to post here" :shrug:

WSS ^^

I don't find anything wrong in it either, I had a "feeling" it was twins but I didn't post any threads until I knew for certain. I actually thought I was having a miscarriage which is why I never posted.
It did come across like a bit of an attack on the op but that is my opinion.

I had more symptoms with my son than I do now pregnant with twins, so I defiantly follow most of you ladies x

i also feel the same way about the "am i pregnant' posts. particularly when they havent even taken a test.. how is that not the first thing you do when you think you are pregnant. i almost NEVER see anything on those tests and then the rest of the people seem to post that it is totally there... then it ends up with people saying they had a chemical... heh but yeah i hope the op doesnt take it personally (though i can def see how they would) it is just a general "rant" that happened to be sparked by their question

yeh no one meant any harm to the op. everyone here is lovely, and we welcome all twin triplet mums with open arms, it just gets a bit tiresome when we get lots of 'am i havin twins, or could it b twins' posts as no body can give them an answer but a sonographer. no two peoples symptoms are the same.
i had a girl i know badger me about the possibility of twins while i was pregnant. she was 7wks and asked if you feel kicks at 7wks with twins cos shes sure she can. what a plonker! she just wanted attention n it drove me nuts.

yeh no one meant any harm to the op. everyone here is lovely, and we welcome all twin triplet mums with open arms, it just gets a bit tiresome when we get lots of 'am i havin twins, or could it b twins' posts as no body can give them an answer but a sonographer. no two peoples symptoms are the same.
i had a girl i know badger me about the possibility of twins while i was pregnant. she was 7wks and asked if you feel kicks at 7wks with twins cos shes sure she can. what a plonker! she just wanted attention n it drove me nuts.

That would irritate the crap outta me! I would've probably been so sarcastic about it "why yes I feel them kicking all day long! I can't even sleep they kick so hard!" :haha:

i must admit i did look on youtube at 6 week scans as i wanted an idea of what we could see on ours and did find myself looking at multiple pregnancy scans, it does annoy me when some women say i have a feeling im pregnant "i feel pregnant" before there af has even arrived. i can honestly say i dont know what "feeling pregnant feels like" yes im tired and have slight nausea but could put it down to the fact i havent eaten or ive eaten too much.

i had no incling i was pregnant with twins what so ever, i have heard that carrying twins produces more progesterone and progesterone reduces sickness in pregnancy.

im excited about twins as it is a completly different ball game, but realistically it is frightening for me. i worry about a singleton pregnancy let alone twins!!

i did have an incling and googled the symptoms, i didnt however tell anyone as i thought id sound like i was attention seeking. twin pregnancies get alot more attention.

as for the girl i mentioned above, my answer was " no sarah yr baby is as big as yr thumb nail, it has no long legs yet so therefore cannot kick you, you have wind and prob need a shite!!!!"

LOL some religious groups claim you're supposed to feel kicking at 7 weeks... Some even 4 weeks, which is impossible cuz yea, they have no legs yet.

LOL some religious groups claim you're supposed to feel kicking at 7 weeks... Some even 4 weeks, which is impossible cuz yea, they have no legs yet.

Okay, I am a Christian but I found this to be absolutely hilarious!!!!!!!!!!:rofl:

I have an acquaintance who is 34 weeks pregnant with her 3rd child. She thinks she is larger that I was. There is no way. I was easily twice her size. She is convinced the doctors keep missing a baby and two are going to pop out when she delivers.:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->