I want the truth about planned sections :)

I've been booked in for the 11th June! Eeeeeek.

Got my pre op assessment on this Thursday coming (23rd). I was secretly hoping it would be the week before lol, and he originally went to book it the week before then changed his mind :(

Mine was a EMCS, and the day after i was trying to walk around, i mangaed to get into the shower ok, the midwives were surprised i was doing as well as i did, but to be honest i think only managed that because i really wanted a shower.
getting out of bed was a struggle moving in genral was.
about 5 days after my section we atempted to do a little food shop but had to stop because i came over really faint and dizzy. it was the longest i had been stood up since the section, i tried doing to much too soon. It took about a week for me to feel like i could do simple things, walking up the stairs at that point was still a struggle.
I think it was at about 2 and a half to 3 weeks where i felt normal again.

I didn't read anyone's responses but I figured I'd put my own experience on here anyway. The actual c-section was horrible for me because my anesthesia was up too high, it took me 3 hours after I was out of the OR in recovery before I was able to go to my room because of that and I could barely move my head from side to side so I didn't get anything more then a 10 second viewing of my son before I started getting physically ill and they put me out for the rest of the procedure.

As for recovery, I didn't walk enough and waited to take a shower so it was horrible for me. I'm diabetic so my son had low blood sugar and the nurses were horrible to me and didn't ask me if I wanted to feed my son, they just took him and did it for me. They treated me horrible because my son couldn't latch on (we now know that his hypotonia is what prevented this and it was not my fault)... in fact, the only person who was nice to me other then my doctor was the lactation consultant. I didn't have my own clothing or underwear and the mesh things they give you don't help at all. People were in and out of my room constantly so I was only sleeping 2 to 3 hours a day. After day 4 they wanted to keep me because of supposed failure to thrive on my part (my son was fine) and they thought I had postpartum depression... but gee, I wonder why that was! The weekend on call doc told me that if I wanted to leave that I could check myself out but that my son would be staying in the hospital until an evaluation could be done!

Honestly, the day I went home was the best thing for me. I went from being completely immobile to putting up Christmas decorations around the house the day after a good nights sleep. After that the only part that was really rough for me was the in between stages of laying down and sitting up from a prone position. Roll to your side and push yourself up with your hands, it's much easier.

I'm not going to that hospital with this pregnancy and most likely this one isn't going to be special needs like my son so I will have an easier and more typical birth story. Not a complete nightmare.

Hi Babz ..I had a planned section (no medical reason, it was my choice). Check out my birth story for details, but it was the best decision for me, and if I'm lucky enough to get preggo again I shall be booking in for a second one in a heartbeat.

Mine was totally pain free, and an amazing positive experience - my lovely baby boy arrived safe and sound, my lady bits were unmangled (I was terrified of tearing badly - my baby was 95th percentile) and I felt like 'me' again days later. My friend, who had her baby 2 weeks before me, ended up with a forcepts delivery and still can't sit down properly/have sex.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Xx

I had my scheduled or elective c section last week. The procedure was stress free and i was able to meet my dd in 7-10 minutes after the spinal. Spinal and IV drip, both were not painful. I did freak out a bit when i lost sensation of my legs but it was temporary. Husband came in after spinal and he shared a joke with me and within minutes we could hear our daughter's cry. Later i was shifted to recovery and then to my room.
I had my surgery during afternoon and after returning to my hospital room, i experienced trapped wind in the upper portion of my body. I could not even drink water as i would puke everytime i drank water, guess that was due to the wind. It wasnt a worry for me coz the drip was still attached and was keeping me hydrated.
Next day morning i was better, could take in milo and biscuits. By evening i could stand and walk around the hospital. Doctors did not expect that i could walk on the first day, but it was easier with the painkillers. I remember i could not stand up from a chair as it was painful, so i took the ultracet pain killer and after 15-20 minutes i could stand up. By the end of next day i was walking around.
I took pain medicines on regular basis and also tried to walk inside the room. Both of this helped my recovery.
Now i am almost 10 days from my surgery and i can easily walk around and even go out. My dd is a night waker so i carry her throughout the night and am still energetic during day after taking ample rest.
I had feet swelling on the third day of surgery but this went away by itself.
So far things look good and my doctor is also happy with the recovery.
My suggestion to you and anyone undergoing c section is to maintain calm in the mind during the procedure. It isnt really painful. Just be more educated about hat happens duing surgery and you will be good to go.

Hi Babz ..I had a planned section (no medical reason, it was my choice). Check out my birth story for details, but it was the best decision for me, and if I'm lucky enough to get preggo again I shall be booking in for a second one in a heartbeat.

Mine was totally pain free, and an amazing positive experience - my lovely baby boy arrived safe and sound, my lady bits were unmangled (I was terrified of tearing badly - my baby was 95th percentile) and I felt like 'me' again days later. My friend, who had her baby 2 weeks before me, ended up with a forcepts delivery and still can't sit down properly/have sex.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Xx

OMG I'm so sleep deprived I replied to this thread twice...doh!!

Well ladies my sections tomorrow and think I'm more prepared with your stories :)

What will happen tomorrow? We've been told to get there for 7.30 and just wait. Do they generally normally have time slots of no emergency sections take place? Or is it a case of 1st come 1st served? Little bit worried I'll be there till 4pm with no food and passing out lol

GL tomorrow honey :)

We got there first, and went down first but I honestly think they go by which ones they'd think will go easiest. Less complications etc.

Yey you'll meet your bubba tomorrow :dance: Congrats :D

Hope the section went well. I had mine last week - I was dreading it (having had a straight forward natural birth at home previously) but needn't have, it went really well. I was scared of the spinal, but apart from a few sharp scratches it was fine, the nurses kept me really calm. Once it took effect they started work and baby was born minutes later. I was in recovery for a few hours, having skin-to-skin in the peace and quiet. Back on the ward the nurses were buzzing round looking after everyone, doing a wonderful job. The second day was the worst day, the drugs had worn off and I was quite sore, hot and bothered. The next day I was still sore but able to get about, shower etc. I'm now five days on and everythings great! My stitches do pull a bit when I sneeze, cough, get out of bed etc but the op site is very neat and tidy. Baby is doing well, I'm delighted how things have turned out.

Hi ladies :)

Well I'm home! They had a few issues trying to get the spinal in, and kept hitting my left leg nerve, it made me go quite funny and I nearly ended up passing out. Throughout the section my blood pressure kept going down and I ended up been sick whilst they stitched me up. Also I lost more blood than they expected so have quite a low blood count.

Apart from that the recovery so far has been really good! I'm not in as much pain as I thought, or maybe its a completely different pain to what I expected? I was also up and walking the next day with ease!

Sorry to hear about the complications but yey for not being I'm too much pain :)

Hope you're enjoying the squishy newborn cuddles :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->