I would like your opinions please regarding injured animals/wildlife, etc:

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
Ok, something is really bugging me.
Today I was casually walking to the shops when I spotted a pigeon at the side of the road, clearly injured, wasnt very old, infact I think it was a baby.
It had broken the entire left side of its body and obviously couldnt fly but was capable of moving and was very much alive and alert.
It broke my heart when I saw it because the poor defensless creature, despite being a pigeon, is a living, breathing thing, and clearly was helpless.
I stayed with the pigeon whilst calling the RSPCA- They asked me if I could take it to the nearest vet, now in my opinion thats simply wrong because these people are supose to rescue injured animals, not ask the people who found them to take responsibilites by taking them to a vet. He asked me to 'BAG' up the pigeon and take it to the nearest centre, now the fact he said to BAG IT UP annoyed me greatly because no matter what it is, you do not put an ingured animal, pigeon or not, in a plastic bag and carry it like rubbish to the nearest vets clinic.
Anyway, I waited and waited, but the RSPCA still did not turn up- so I called them again and they asked me if I could secure its safety by putting it in a box-
I go all the way home to get a box and I put this bird in it and safetly place it away from danger. The RSPCA called me back and said that they will come out as soon as possible so I didnt have to wait for them to arrive as long as the bird was safe and securely removed from the road.
Now what has angered me is the fact that NOBODY else, apart from a young lad who worked at the bus station, even bothered to help- all passers by would do is stare in disgust because it was a pigeon.
Can I ask, would you guys of done what I did?
My fella claims im silly for doing what I did, but honestly, it broke my heart to see it in so much pain.

sorry but i have to admit, i would have walked past it.

If it had been on verge of dying i would have moved it from the roadside maybe to under a bush

But because it was alert like you said i would prob have put it in a box and brought it home, then called RSPCA or RSPB or whatever it is

Thats is very sweet of you - if i saw it i'd probably just do a lot of "awwwwing" and sad faces to my boyfriend but i wouldnt go through the trouble of calling and waiting for the RSPCA.

But i defintely admire you for doing what u did!xxx

:hugs: Awe I would have done the same thing as you. I have done my fair share of bird rescuing. We have a local wildlife bird rescure that I have takend birds to before.:hugs:

i wouldnt of called for a pigeon if im honest, but i prob would of for something bigger, like a fox, deer, heghodge etc.

sweet of you tho :)

x

I've called the RSPCA cause of a bird being stuck in my chimney at the old house ...

So prob would have done the same!

xxx

My father said if it was a cat or dog then he would of done the same.
But honestly, I think it's kinda sad the way people ignore injured birds simply because they're pigeons. I wanted to take it home with me but being a cat owner I couldnt really do that.
Apparently the bird had been picked up from the spot I had left it which was at a bus station, a few of the workers said they would keep an eye on it until the RSPCA arrived, but I cant help but wonder if they just picked up the box and tossed it over a wall or something. Im waiting for the RSPCA to call back just so I can double check that they actually did their job properly.
m surprised to see that a few of you would have also done the same, I was expecting some 'It was a little OTT' replies.
Poor pigeon! :( It really pulled on my heart to see it so helpless.

Personally if it was in that sort of bad way I would have put it out of its misery, being a wild animal. I think you will find the RSPCA will not have done anything.

Unfortunatly with my mum having been a police comunications officer (takes and responds to 999 calls) we have learnt just how useless they are and how they dont do anything unless a camera is pointed at them.

She had a case where a motorist called up having hit a dog. The dog was alive but in a bad way and the motorist wanted to know what to do. My mum had to call the number on the dog tag and leave answer machine mesages for the family telling them to get in touch imediatly as their had been an incident, and then call the RSPCA who refused to come out and do anything untill they had made contact with the owners to get permission and see if they had insurance. The motorist was very good and stayed with this dog, and kept phoning up asking what was happening, and all my mum could do was leave messages for the owners, as the RSPCA wouldnt act untill they had been spoken to. In the end the dog died at the side of the road. And my mum had to call the owners to tell them. And just to think if they had been home, the dog could have been treated, but the RSPCA are so money hungry they wont lift a finger unless they know someone is prepared to foot the bill.

I'm sorry but any living animal doesn't deserve to be in pain & distress left at the side of the road.

You did the right thing ... good on you Louise :hugs:

I'm sorry but any living animal doesn't deserve to be in pain & distress left at the side of the road.

You did the right thing ... good on you Louise :hugs:
I agree, it doesnt deserve to be left for dead.
You should have seen the poor thing, it couldnt move :(
When I had tried to move it, it kinda stumbled & was standing lobsided; I went to fetch it a box and when I came back, the little thing was just sitting down as though it had no care in the world. :(
The RSPCA still havent returned my call- I'm going to make a complaint, it's quite ridiculous.

Being a veterinary nurse before Ewan came along i have seen the working end of the RSPCA, Well done for staying with the pigeon, but to be honest you would have been better off taking the pigeon to the local vets, they would have checked it over and put it out of its misery if it was that bad.
I certainly wouldnt have rung the RSPCA over it though knowing what they are like.

Often we have had stray Road Traffic Accidents (RTA) and have to phone the RSPCA to get authorisationfor treatment and that is only to a max of £50
We did alot of treatment to animals that we never got paid for.

And they have told us to PTS animals that didnt need PTS, either because they were old or because they were on lots of meds.

awww i would have done same but if nearly dead i would have killed it. I have had to wring a chickens neck before (not nice) it was half dead from being attacked by a fox.

awww i would have done same but if nearly dead i would have killed it. I have had to wring a chickens neck before (not nice) it was half dead from being attacked by a fox.

Ooh i couldnt do that!! i'd have to inject it with is dose of 'blue juice'

awww softy
nah seriousley i used to work in an environment where the Geese were killed at xmas and I used to help,I dont think I could do now though,it was on a free-range farm bit sad that I see them hatch then through to hanging for christmas. Sorry am digressing

My dad had to kill a deer once poor thing had been left for dead,will not say how he did it as bit sad but it was very quick for the poor animal and my dad was in tears but he did the humane thing as the Deer was screaming was awful

I cant stand seeing animals in pain tis horrible ...

RSPCA are a waist of space!

xxx

I would have taken it to the vets so they could have put it down. My cat brought ina bird two years ago and it was still alive but in a bad way so I phoned the RSPCA and said I had found the bird (lied about it being my cat) and they weren't interested but my lovely vet said he would put it down so at least I knew it wasn't suffering.

I'm the same as you, can't bear to see any living creature in pain and can't walk by. It drives my OH mad :)

Blimey I only took a couple of mins to reply anfd there are tons of other replies lol

Im getting all paranoid now that someone just threw the box over the nearest wall or something.
I made a complaint towards the RSPCA but I dont know what good its going to do.
If I happen to walk passed the place where I found it, tomorrow, and it's still where I left it, only it's dead, I will go absolutely up the wall.
The RSPCA are suposed to help. It's bad enough knowing that it's going to be put down, but just left for dead, that's heart breaking.

It angers me also, because even if the pigeon had only broken it's leg, they would of put it down anyway- apparently they are 'vermin' and the council are already trying to get rid of them. *shakes head*. I think it's disgraceful myself.
Im not exactly a pigeon lover but if you had seen this particular one, you would understand where Im coming from.

Thing is the RSPCA is charity funded so have limited resourses, they would never be able to afford to medically treat all sick animals so some have to take a priority. Animals abused and visitims of cruelty take prioroty, they cant deal with every bit of road kill and wild animal. Vetinary fes are huge and it simply wouldnt have been possible. But they shouldnt have lead you on thinking they were going to help. I think sometimes they just try to get people off the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->