IBS in pregnancy?

Snowball

Resident badass
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you get it when pregnant? I've got serious trot issues. I feel fine one minute and then the next I have to get to the loo with crippling stomach pains and its... (tmi)... far from solid. I'm actually dreading having to go it's got so bad :(

I have IBS, but has completely cleared up during this pregnancy! It's one of those things that swings one way or the other. Women who have IBS pre-pregnancy, no matter how severe or mild, find that it either worsens or eases during pregnancy.

I've had this for 3 days now after suffering for 3 days with constipation?
I went at least 5 times yesterday - and no warning ...
This morning I went 3 times before 10am and nearly didn't make it.

x

I have IBS, but has completely cleared up during this pregnancy! It's one of those things that swings one way or the other. Women who have IBS pre-pregnancy, no matter how severe or mild, find that it either worsens or eases during pregnancy.

SNAP!

I had really bad IBS symptoms before I got pregnant, and it has been so well behaved through the whole pregnancy... But then, they did find a large cyst, which is consistent with possibly having endometriosis - something often mistaken for IBS due to the similar symptoms.

I've seen a lot of posts on here about bowel movements being extremely one way or the other - I'd blame the pregnancy rather than IBS!

I had IBS before I was pregnant caused by dairy products, so couldn't eat them at all. Now though I eat dairy all the time and only get the symptoms every now and then.

Perhaps its something you ate thats causing it? Have you introduced anything new?

I shat through eye of a needle last week now this week it's resembling a bloody broom handle.

Heres hoping it settles back down to norml after baby comes.

I had IBS before I was pregnant caused by dairy products, so couldn't eat them at all. Now though I eat dairy all the time and only get the symptoms every now and then.

Perhaps its something you ate thats causing it? Have you introduced anything new?

I'm the same as you, i've been eating dairy and tolerating it well, but I still have soya milk in tea and for cereal, I'm not that brave!

I had IBS pre pregnancy for several years and it has been really bad during pregnancy. The last few weeks have been much better but I it has taken me months to find the right new balance of fruit/dairy/processes foods etc plus I take fybrogel which helps keep things a bit steady....

I would have thought what you are experiencing is more likely down to the hormones in pregnancy rather than IBS but it is possible to develop IBS at any time.

Have you played around with cutting out/introducing certain foods? Pre pregnancy I was on a low-fibre diet but since falling pregnant I found having more fibre helps so I have at least 2 pieces of fruit a day and a relatively high-fibre cereal in the morning.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

I'm the same as you, i've been eating dairy and tolerating it well, but I still have soya milk in tea and for cereal, I'm not that brave!

I still have lactose free milk and I can't eat ice cream cos that brings it on, but other then that I can eat most other things! I have found it to be great as it means I can eat most of the things I had to cut out.

Before I was pregnant it go so bad that when I got married last August I only weighed 7.5 stone and I'm 5ft 7"! Its good to be able to gain weight! (2 stone lol).

I hope all you ladies suffering feel better soon, :hugs: I know how horrible it is to have to know where all the nearest loos are!

ive had IBS since i was 11, in recent years its been alot better and hasnt been a problem through pregnancy until this trimester when ive had loose bowel movements everyday, with tummy cramps. but i think this is more pregnancy related than IBS

I've suffered in this pregnancy too. It seems to have weeks where it flares up then a period where it's ok. I'm dairy intolerant too so am watching what I eat more than usual. I think the hormones must either help it or make it worse. xx

ive hardly done a solid poo since i became pregnant!
probably about 5 or 6 cigar like ones and that it!

Pregnancy can make bowel movements loose due to hormones and added pressure. I'm 29 and i've had IBS since I was 8 years old. Hospitalised twice through it and i'm on meds for life now. Pregnancy has certainly made it worse, but i think i'm getting used to it being bad now as i can time each attack like clockwork every time i eat or drink something. xx

Had it again this morning. Literally have to put my day on hold to go :(

I have IBS due to pregnancy too - i was fine before I got pregnant. One week I have the shits bad, the next week I am constipated with piles, then the next week I have the shits bad again.....

I've had IBS-C for years and it's remained the same during my pregnancy. For most of my pregnancy I've suffered from constipation but 34 weeks and on it's been very irregular. Some days I have to run to the bathroom and others I have constipation. I think pregnancy hormones are causing your bowel movements to be irregular and it's not true IBS. Sometimes IBS is a caused by stress/anxiety and could be a chemical imbalance in the brain. And others it could be caused by the types of foods that your body simply cannot tolerate.

Hi Girlies

I am new to this site and came across it googling, as I have been an IBS sufferer for year and get good spells and bad spells.
I have read that being pregnant (I am 8 weeks) you cant take imodium?

Im actually getting married this weekend! eeek. So as you can imagine nerves and stomach/sickness is all over the place.

Would love any advice I can be given so im mentally able to chill and try and forget about the IBS for one day!! i can cope with the nausea as it comes and goes and isnt that bad. I find a bit of sugar settles me. Its just the dodgy stomach in church infront of 120 people im worried about ;-/ any advice possible would be so welcome right now :-(((((((

thank you xxxxxxxx

Hi

just to share that i have developed IBS from 4 weeks, it is so bad Ican't eat anything without getting diarreah (bad spell) and/or severe cramps, infact the only thing I can eat is plain rice (still diarreah but no pain.) I feel for anyone who has this in pregnancy! Currently taking mebervine for cramps-not much help and trying to keep my vitamins and water topped up. wondered if anyone else was suffering and could offer advice?

I can relate to the other ladies posts...I had bouts of ibs before pregnancy but my system has been working incredibly well while pregnant and have had very few stomach problems (it's actually such a nice break from what I'm use to!).

That said, everyone's different so it's totally possible that the change in hormones and body chemistry is throwing your system off. Maybe ask your dr.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->