If you could give a new mum one piece of advice

Here's the most important piece of advice! DO YOUR KEGEL EXERCISES!!!!

For practical advice, buy some muslins, they are by far the most useful part of my kit! Pop a folded one under babie's head when she/he is sleeping, if she/he is sick or possets it won't mark the sheets and will save having to do so much washing, I also use them as bibs, I get through about 5 a day, and never leave the house without at least 2!

Sleep when baby sleeps...

Follow your own instincts...

Grin and bare the annoying comments from Grandma and other well meaning oldies who tell you it's a good idea to put brandy in babie's bottle or other such nonsense....

If you can afford it, get a cleaner for the first month, or at least someone to iron or do laundry, by far the best investment I swear!

ENJOY IT! The sleepless nights and constant screaming may seem hard, but the baby time passes so fast, enjoy LO while he/she is little, believe me, it's when they start moving and talking that the real trouble starts LOL

ok.. my advice :)

keep calm and think for times ahead... the colic/sleepless nights/poo stains and vomiting will not last forever.

let grandparents feel involved... even when you do not agree with them (for example my mum gave Ffion jam on her dummy.. but i didnt say anything)

communicate with your husband and let him be involved... just because you are the mum doesnt mean you are carrying the burdon of parenthood alone.

get out and about.. dont lock yourself indoors, get out of your jammies, put on some makeup and head out the door

and most importantly... EAT... even if its just a choccy biscuit with a nice cup of tea

Trust your instincts....even as a first time mum....

Live for today, because you really don't know what tomorrow will bring. Sounds morbid, but tomorrow you could be hit by a bus. Make the most of every moment with your baby, because no matter what your baby does, how much they cry and spit up at you, how much they keep you awake all night, you love them, and they love you.

Make the most of your baby :)

Also, trust your instincts.. Tegan's still in the hospital, and we said before the doctors did that she was getting ill again. If the doctors say your wrong, get a second opinion.

There is one night in the first week that is horrific and baby wont settle, be ready for it... its not you and there is nothing wrong with them its just part of the settling routine and getting used to not being in your tummy. no one warned me and it was the worst night of my life i became so distressed and upset - wish someone had told me it would happen. midwife said the next day it was completely normal

I agree with that, I ended up sleeping in the lounge room just so everyone could get some sleep.

Cherish every moment...they grow so fast that you don't even know where the time has gone...

also...

Being a mummy is not about being perfect its about doing your best...unconditionl love is the best thing you could ever provide your baby with xxx

Mine would be to keep an open mind and try not to plan too much. It only leaves you dissapointed if it doesn't work out. Have some ideas of what routines etc you would like but don't worry if this is not what happens. For example, I badly wanted to breastfeed but it didn't work out and I found this very hard to accept. I also have made plans to meet people, and panicked if I am running late. I don't worry about things so much now, I make 'it depends on baby' arrangements.
Also ask people to phone before they visit. Otherwise you could end up being over-run and very tired. We did this and it was great, my OH said no to people if I didn't feel I could and it is easier to say no over the phone than if they turn up unannounced.

Brilliant thread Toria.
I'm reading this as my due date looms and it has put my mind at rest a lot.
Thankyou x x
P.S. Do you think it is worth posting in the 3rd tri aswell? I only found it by accident.

Buy plenty of washing powder! Get one of them massive 90 wash boxes if possible.

my washing machine's never been on as much :lol:

make the most as they grow so fast and dont rock them to sleep as your make a rod for your own back ,take a many photos off them as you can and do foot prints of hands and feet something to keep for ever:hugs:

even if its only once a week run a bath put the radio on and relax being a mum is 24/7 and doing this gives 5 mins me time:hugs:

Well on a personal note I would say get your rest in the hospital, I had the baby with me 24/7 and he didn't sleep this made recovering very hard. You are not a bad mom if baby goes to the nursery for a few hours.

Don't let the baby sleep on you, or in your bed (unless you actually choose co-sleeping) as this is a very hard habit to break, and you will have no time without a baby on you.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Remember from day 1 you are your babies tour guide to the world, make it warm and loving and interesting for him. Smile, sing, talk to him and hold him close.

I would say as a new Mom the best advice is to try not to play catch up with cleaning when you have a chance to rest. I ran around cleaning, trying to be "supermom". But, I did not enjoy any of the first few weeks my body just was so sleepy. I then took advice from the RN and slept when he did and felt like a whole new woman! The house was a bit more messy but, I enjoyed the baby more being awake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->