If you could give a new mum one piece of advice

mine would be to make sure you take care of yourself. I know people say this and you think, I don't have time to look after myself when I have a new baby. Take it from someone who wishes they had know what I know now - make the time.

Make sure you do your pelvic floor exercise and rebuild your core. These are so important, although no one really tell you this. And you need to do both as you core is part of your pelvic floor, so doing Kegels in isolation without core work won't give you the correct support

...always listen to your own instincts!

I listened to everyone else for weeks after my daughter was born and it as hell. Once I was more confident in myself I listened to what my baby wanted, went with my motherly instincts and things were so much better :) xxx

Mine would be don't feel guilty for accepting help! Even when my mum offers to feed her, I sometimes feel bad and end up asking if she wants me to take her. Don't! Enjoy the few minutes break! You deserve time to yourself, too. And if you're a single parent.. that can be near impossible to get!

Not from me but something I read..

Google doesn't have children.

And..

People will tell you every trick in the book about how to get your baby to do certain things like eat, sleep, crawl etc. Don't worry, let your little one grow into the person they are and enjoy this. When you stop fighting to make them 'that baby' everyone else is describing you can enjoy the person they are so much more.

I forgot to say

Don't (or try not to) get into arguments with your partner when you are both tired. 9 times out of 10 in the grand scene of things it's nothing important and is not worth blowing up at each other about. Take a deep breath and do whatever you can to get some sleep!

Don't be afraid to ask for help. I've been afraid to, and it has resulted in me being sleep deprived and neglecting myself too many times to count. Taking care of the baby is important, but it is only possible if you are taking care of yourself, too.

i was going to put take time for yourself until i saw last post

sleep when they sleep

it took me till child number three to get this - it is vital
sod housework etc

sleep

Stay present, don't worry about this or that. Know your opportunities (like when OH offers to take baby so you can rest/shower--DO IT!). Know that this will pass. The rest is irrelevant for the time being.

Baby will feed constantly at first- this is normal.

People, mostly family, always tell you you're doing it wrong and creating bad habits. Smile, nod and ignore them and do it the way that works for you.

Overtiredness and over stimulation are often mistaken for 'colic'.

Everyone has advice - people will tell you how to feed, that they potty trained at six months, you should be weaning now, tutting about whether you use a dummy or not..... it's your baby. Take the advice gratefully and think about it. But ultimately do what works for you based on all the 'friendly advice'!!!!!

(I now have to be careful I don't bore people with my 'friendly advice' too!

I want to change mine: Don't have a too much of a plan. Because that pretty much goes out the window with babies.

I never planned to CIO but it's the only way to retain my sanity! Now we are all sleeping better.

I politely ask people to NOT give me advice unless I ask for it. :) For me, parenting is all about trial and error and what works for you and what doesn't. So unless I am at a loss, I'll ask. By asking people to hold off advice unless you ask for it gives them another angle of looking at it and they start thinking 'you know what, she's got this at the moment'. :) And if I ask for advice, I always do give it a go. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->