Illegal drugs - worse than legal ones?

it is pretty astonishing that some folk think a drug is only a drug if it's illegal?!

What about morphine? In fact, diamorphine or pethedine?? Women are only too glad to put this into their bodies when giving birth, and it is a fact that it passes to their baby. These are legal drugs, but controlled because of how dangerous/addictive they are.

Its about Illegal vs Legal :dohh: :lol:

I am just SO agaisnt drugs :lol:

I will try and explain best i can the illegal vs legal arguement that only applies to me and my beliefs.

I do not believe that alcohol and cigarettes can be compared to drugs. I have smoked weed in the past and it left me in a right mess, ended up being arressted etc, however when i drink i fall asleep .. so maybe it's based on my personal reaction to weed that i find it repulsive. When we think about drugs i think we think hard drugs like heroin, or coke, and in relation to them weed isn't as serious.

I think that alcohol and cigarettes are not good for you and i don't think they will ever be made illegal because the gov make too much money from them. So yes i do think all 3 are potentially very bad for somebody.

However there is something about drugs that just don't sit right with me, and comparing coffee and weed just becuase coffee is a 'drug' just isn't the same. I believe that drug taking is not essential or needed by anyone and i hope drugs stay illegal. If drugs were healing or good for people they wouldn't be illegal.

Sorry for my earlier quick blunt posts, half the time im breastfeeding so can't write a long reply!

I won't pick apart your post but why are people failing to understand that the word 'drug' applies to legal things too? And if alcohol makes you fall asleep i wouldn't be doing that with a baby around.

As other people have pointed out - different people react in different ways but in my opinion just because some people react badly shouldn't automatically make it illegal. Peanuts are a common allergy - should they be banned?

im sorry but i feel like i have to stick up for aob here. when she said she falls asleep when she has a drink i really dont think she meant after having one,i would think she meant it after having a few too many. and i think she wouldint be putting her baby in danger like that,thats not fair to say that

Yes, i agree. Quite offensive to say the least.

I think doing weed regularly is a tad more dangerous than having a drink, and i mean a small glass of wine every few months :dohh:

I think social services would agree.

I will try and explain best i can the illegal vs legal arguement that only applies to me and my beliefs.

I do not believe that alcohol and cigarettes can be compared to drugs. I have smoked weed in the past and it left me in a right mess, ended up being arressted etc, however when i drink i fall asleep .. so maybe it's based on my personal reaction to weed that i find it repulsive. When we think about drugs i think we think hard drugs like heroin, or coke, and in relation to them weed isn't as serious.

I think that alcohol and cigarettes are not good for you and i don't think they will ever be made illegal because the gov make too much money from them. So yes i do think all 3 are potentially very bad for somebody.

However there is something about drugs that just don't sit right with me, and comparing coffee and weed just becuase coffee is a 'drug' just isn't the same. I believe that drug taking is not essential or needed by anyone and i hope drugs stay illegal. If drugs were healing or good for people they wouldn't be illegal.

Sorry for my earlier quick blunt posts, half the time im breastfeeding so can't write a long reply!

I won't pick apart your post but why are people failing to understand that the word 'drug' applies to legal things too? And if alcohol makes you fall asleep i wouldn't be doing that with a baby around.

As other people have pointed out - different people react in different ways but in my opinion just because some people react badly shouldn't automatically make it illegal. Peanuts are a common allergy - should they be banned?

im sorry but i feel like i have to stick up for aob here. when she said she falls asleep when she has a drink i really dont think she meant after having one,i would think she meant it after having a few too many. and i think she wouldint be putting her baby in danger like that,thats not fair to say that

But it's fair to suggest that 1 spliff away from your child is wrong?

I think my time in this debate has come to an end. People are not willing to consider that laws may be wrong and are happy to blindly follow the law 'because 'they' say it's what's best for us'. As that was what i wanted to get views on there isn't much point in me resorting to explaining why! I'll come back if it gets back on track :)

if you ladies think there is nothing wrong with smoking weed,does your hv know you do it? if not you must know its bad. im not saying you are bad parents im just intrigued:thumbup:

I think doing drugs when you are a parent is wrong and unacceptable, yes .. around or not.

But it's fair to suggest that 1 spliff away from your child is wrong?

I think my time in this debate has come to an end. People are not willing to consider that laws may be wrong and are happy to blindly follow the law 'because 'they' say it's what's best for us'. As that was what i wanted to get views on there isn't much point in me resorting to explaining why! I'll come back if it gets back on track :)

i dont know why your getting offended cos i thought you used to smoke dope but not anymore?

Please can we stop with this parenting thing? Maybe this 'other' thread was about that I don't know it it was closed. This thread is about law, science and sociology.

AOB - i know of occasions when social services have not gotten involved with cases where parents are doing it away from their child as it isn't putting them in danger.

Babybump - not offended in the slightest, just frustrated that people can't have a debate without sweeping statements and saying things that will quite clearly offend previous posters. In fact - gladly get on my high horse here and state that i do not drink or touch illegal drugs. Just nicotine and caffeine. I am just able to have a rational debate, backing up my responses with facts rather than opinions and i can see both sides.

AOB - i know of occasions when social services have not gotten involved with cases where parents are doing it away from their child as it isn't putting them in danger.

Babybump - not offended in the slightest, just frustrated that people can't have a debate without sweeping statements and saying things that will quite clearly offend previous posters. In fact - gladly get on my high horse here and state that i do not drink or touch illegal drugs. Just nicotine and caffeine. I am just able to have a rational debate, backing up my responses with facts rather than opinions and i can see both sides.

i do not feel the need to look up about illegal drugs as it doesint interest me,why would it?:thumbup:

That does the beg the question why did you join a thread about the legality of drugs.

Thanks PB, i was having trouble stating what the debate was about... doing all this on my phone is frying my brain - as if babybrain wasn't bad enough!

PB - do you know of anywhere that could give the social effects of drugs rather than the health ones? I would love to find out so i can fully understand the implications from all sides.

i do not feel the need to look up about illegal drugs as it doesint interest me,why would it?:thumbup:

Maybe you should start doing a wee bit of research then before you come on all these threads and put your tuppenceworth in :shrug: Much better to have an informed opinion rather than a close-minded one.

just because i havint looked up drugs on the net does not mean i dont know anything about drugs. geez what did people do before the net? school maybe. not everyone learns from the internet,thank the lord

Not offhand dopey. There are various journals that look at social science that would probably include relevant stuff. I imagine law and policy journals would too. It's highly intangible for measurement I suspect so less likely to appear in science journals. If I were on campus I could look up for you but I'm at home, also on my phone!

just because i havint looked up drugs on the net does not mean i dont know anything about drugs. geez what did people do before the net? school maybe. not everyone learns from the internet,thank the lord

I don't think anyone here has looked up drugs on the internet HAHA. There is a wealth of knowledge from science, sociology and experience early on in the thread and that is what i am interested in. Although I will say Talk to Frank is amazingly unbiased for a government sponsored information service!

Not offhand dopey. There are various journals that look at social science that would probably include relevant stuff. I imagine law and policy journals would too. It's highly intangible for measurement I suspect so less likely to appear in science journals. If I were on campus I could look up for you but I'm at home, also on my phone!

That will be my project for the weekend :thumbup:

If drugs were free, do you think there would be the same crime problems with things like heroin? Going back to my nomadic lifestyle idea i don't think heroin would be anywhere near as dangerous as it is now!

I was going to mention Frank before, much better than the '80s just say no. Our Labour government did many things well!

Dunno about free heroin. Who would pay for it? Get it on the nhs? But that's essentially what the methadone project does isn't it? I'm sure there's an argument that associated crime would plummet but it would be at the expense of the users which would be unconscionable for me.

if you ladies think there is nothing wrong with smoking weed,does your hv know you do it? if not you must know its bad. im not saying you are bad parents im just intrigued:thumbup:

FUnny but true: A friends Husband told their HV they occasionaly smooke the odd joint and the HV replied (which I find HILARIOUS) "at least you're honest about it" :haha: As thought what really "grinds her gears" is people not admitting it. HAHA!

You'd be surprised how many nurses, doctors and health care proffesionals partake in the stuff. Do you think HVs all don't smoke pot? :shrug:

In regard to heroin, i think the rate of related crime would drop off to almost below the radar.

From my own personal experience, once you get into the rut, even if you get clean, you become accustomed to the "crime lifestyle" and it doesnt seem to go away. Thats if you partake in crime to fund your habit, not all heroin users do.BTW, im not talking about me :lol:

Its a shame we dont have an ex member around anymore, she is a recovered heroin user, id love to hear her input into this!! She was a very inspiring lady!!

When it comes to drugs i think heroin is the be all and end all, theres no happy medium, you either get clean and turn your life around or die, either through overdose, or crime!!

FUnny but true: A friends Husband told their HV they occasionaly smooke the odd joint and the HV replied (which I find HILARIOUS) "at least you're honest about it" :haha: As thought what really "grinds her gears" is people not admitting it. HAHA!

You'd be surprised how many nurses, doctors and health care proffesionals partake in the stuff. Do you think HVs all don't smoke pot? :shrug:

Stop bringing Hvs into it xbabybumpx makes you sound like a teachers pet

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->