"I'm afraid your going to need IVF"

Jeminoz

Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is Jemma I'm 28 and have just been told if I want children i will need IVF.

Quick history-
2008 - ectopic, ruptured, lost right tube
2011 - stopped using contraception
2012 - starting really trying with cbfm, timing etc
2013 - went to doctors for help
feb - had 21 day progesterone (normal)
feb - bf had semen analysis (normal)

....June - had lap/dye/hystereoscopy to check if remaining left tube blocked and for endo

RESULTS= no endo, however, remaining tube damaged beyond repair.

SO, I ended up hearing the 3 letters I was scared of all along...IVF

I have my appointment for the referral letter etc on the 19th July...we have decided we will tell the gynea we want to pursue IVF ASAP

Scared.

I have done a fair amount of research in the hope that somewhere it would say it will work first time for us (being that its just my tubes faulty) alas, seems its not that simple.

Anyway this will be my venting place over the coming months I'm sure. Any tips on coping let me know!

Jem

Sorry for what your going through :hugs:

Does your private health insurance cover ivf?

I have heard that ivf does have higher success rates where tubal defects are the suspected cause if infertility. I've got my fingers crossed for you :)

Xx

Hey sparkle,

I don't have private health cover *face palm* but Medicare cover a fair whack of it. We are looking at being out of pocket by $4500 for 1 round but I've probably spent that on preg test, ovulation contraptions, pre seed etc anyway haha in my eyes it's worth it, tax time is here, what a better way to spend my rebate.

Thanks for the info that gives me some hope really appreciate it :)
Jem

Totally worth it! And makes me feel lucky that we live in Australia cos in many other countries I think it's closer to 15k per round!

I was just reading a thread in LTTTC Success Stories by Sunshine24 - she got her bfp 1st round of ivf and says the ivf process was not as hard as she expected. I'm hopeful you will have the same experience xx

Hi there, I just wanted to add my story as it is similar to yours.

I found out in october 2009, that I would need ivf. We had been trying for a couple of years with no luck. I had horrendous periods, and ended up in a&e (so dramatic!!!:haha:) and got a gynaecologist appt soon after. Following a lap & dye I was diagnosed with endo, plus not only were both tubes blocked the left was really badly damaged, & stuck to my pelvic wall cos of the scarring. When I came round from the anaesthetic I was told I'd need ivf if I ever wanted to conceive. Luckily hubby has no issues.

So cos we are in the uk we were eligible for our treatment on the nhs - 2 cycles. We had our 1st round in April 2011, but it didn't work. I think I just expected it to be a miracle & to work right away? My cycle had gone like clockwork so there was no reason to suggest it wouldn't work, it just didn't?

So we psyched ourselves up & had another go in August 2011 & our daughter was born on 1st may 2012! :happydance:

She is 14 months old today & is just fantastic. :cloud9:

I still look at her & can't believe how lucky we are. But I will never forget how had the journey was to get her, it is the hardest thing I have ever done. Not from the point of the meds etc, but from the psychological point of view.

Good luck for your journey :flower: xxx

Hi hun

My story is not that dissimilar to yours.

Husband And I tried for two years. The first year we put it down to timing as he was working away, and then fell pregnant. Unfortunately, it sadly ended up in a miscarriage.

Our doctor referred us for fertility tests, and my HSG showed that both of my Fallopian tubes had haldros in them. Devastated doesn't even begin to cover how we felt.

In my area in the uk we were entitled to two rounds of fresh IVF cycles. Geared up for the first one August 2012 and was negative the week before my 30th birthday I thought I'd never be a mum.

After waiting for our follow up we were told I need to have a lap to clean up tubes and to see if I had endo as I was having terrible period pains and painful sex.

Lap showed no endo thankfully, but that my tubes were only slightly damaged. Ticking that we would try naturally for a couple of months before we used our frozen embryos first cycle after lap I found out I'm pregnant. I'm now 8 weeks and panicking but its given me hope and I know, no matter how bleak things appear sometimes our miracles happen - including a natural pregnancy when you were previously told otherwise

Good luck on your journey x x x

Thank you girls all for giving me so much hope....we are building and house at the moment and taking this on right now seems crazy but I don't care, I was born to be a mummy, to feel that immense love everyone talks about, to give my life and everything we have built a purpose, to buy little socks, to wake up and see my babies face, to know Nathan and I have created a little person half me and half him filled with love, someone to teach, someone's tears to wipe away...I won't give up - if I can do a 50 preg tests a month obsesively for 2 years I can do IVF!

Good luck to all of you on your journys xxxxx

Hi just wanted to say I know exactly how ur feeling. I was 25 when I found out we needed icsi now 26 and starting this month :)
Oh has very sperm.
It's a horrific time but with support u get through it.
It literally is a gamble pot luck to if it will work or not.
Just pick a clinic ur confident with and u have to trust them. They do say u should expect three cycles but pray it works first time like we all do.
It's prob the worst thing I have ever been told so far.
I have irregular periods so expected that it was me that had the issue.
Turns out all my tests are fine.
Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->