I'm feeling worried about something I ate :(

Pinkie88

Reaction score
I ordered a salad from a very expensive delicious restaurant and didn't realize it had blue cheese in it until I had eaten a lot of it. I was so hungry! Could this have hurt my baby ? I'm 7 weeks and already at a higher risk for miscarriage. I can't help but worry. I know what will be will be but it's so hard to relax.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure you will be fine. Lots of women have eaten things they weren't supposed to and their babies were fine.

I had a salad from Chilis and didn't realize till after I was halfway done that I ate blue cheese so I called Chilis (I had the salad to go) and all thier cheeses are pasturized. If I were you I'd make sure it was pasturized.

So the risk with blue cheese is the same as other soft cheeses?

https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20031105/pasteurized-soft-cheese-ok-in-pregnancy
It's old but I think helps, I'm perfectly fine, I guess it all depends on who you ask

If it was a hard blue cheese it should be fine. If it was soft then its no even if its been pasteurised. Its because they are more moist and less acidic than other cheeses and perfect for the bacteria to grow.
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/x3175/is-it-safe-to-eat-cheese-during-pregnancy

That being said if it is a one of I'm sure it won't do much harm. I've had sushi this pregnancy (before I got a BFP) and sorry my little bean with a heart beat last week.

Guys the thing with these foods is higher risk of listeria. Think bak and ask urself have u ever had listeria poisoning and ull probably say no. Not everything unpasteurised is going to cause u harm its just a higher risk. Im sure u will be absolutely fine unless u start violently vomiting i wouldnt worry. 30 yrs ago they let pregnant women eat everything and we all turned out fine!

The problem with Listeria is that it just presents itself strangely and very weakly in the average adult. Diarrhea and low grade fever, some stomach cramps. We've ALL had those symptoms in our lives but very rarely do we feel the need to go to the ER or doctor and have things cultured to see what the culprit is... Especially if a round of Pepto fixes it. PLUS it has a two week incubation period. So there's no way to know exactly what caused it.

In this case? I wouldn't worry too much. Provided the restaurant follows food safety laws then you should be ok. Listeria is relatively uncommon in the US according to food health inspectors and you're much more likely to catch it from deli meat cut with poorly sanitized slicers.

It's not worth passing up the salad, because TBH even unwashed or poorly stored veggies and lettuce can carry listeria, or stressing out over.

Guys the thing with these foods is higher risk of listeria. Think bak and ask urself have u ever had listeria poisoning and ull probably say no. Not everything unpasteurised is going to cause u harm its just a higher risk. Im sure u will be absolutely fine unless u start violently vomiting i wouldnt worry. 30 yrs ago they let pregnant women eat everything and we all turned out fine!

its not u who will get sick its the baby and it can cause problems and since the baby has no defenses at this time it can get sick and dye from things you wouldnt..

i know people will not like what im saying, im a nurse and im just saying..its not you you need to worry about, its the baby...

most soft cheeses are not pastured...best to keep away to avoid worry

It's VERY common place for women in Europe to eat soft cheeses. Women in Asian countries even continue on high mercury diets eating raw fish.

It's just not worth stressing over. If it was you'd never be able eat out at all or eat ANYTHING that came out of the ground and was consumed raw.

I wouldn't worry. I ate a big slab of camenbert the other weekend before I realised I shouldn't have done that.

I think blue cheese is on the 'avoid' list because the mould carries the risk. It's done now though so no point stressing. Chances are it'll be fine. I treated myself to a McD's milkshake the day before the 'we can't eat mcflurries' thread popped up!

It's VERY common place for women in Europe to eat soft cheeses. Women in Asian countries even continue on high mercury diets eating raw fish.

It's just not worth stressing over. If it was you'd never be able eat out at all or eat ANYTHING that came out of the ground and was consumed raw.

and in those countries there is a higher rate of fetal demise

I definitely won't eat soft cheeses again. I'm aware of the risks. Some people may argue that back in the day, their grandmother never had a list of things not to eat while
pregnant and the baby was healthy, but.. I think it's great that we have made advances in our medical knowledge that help us to know what to avoid. It isn't fun having so many things to worry about but it's only 9 months. It's worth it :)

if your before the 8-9 week mark eating or drinking 'prohibited' items during pregnancy isn't too much of a worry.
up until this point the baby is still feeding off the yolk sack and at this point is went the blood flow from the placenta is established and the mothres body starts taking over, thats why around this point some women experience a drop in symptoms - the hormones settle as the body starts doing what is is meant to do - support the baby.

before this your at lower risk of causing any problems to the baby through food or drink because there is no blood line established so there is a much lower risk or things passing through to baby.

after the 8 week mark i will say start listening to doctors advice about not eating/drinking certain things and listen to what your body is telling you as well. if your body is telling you it doesnt look safe then it probably isnt so steer clear.

when i was pregnant with the twins i had a salad once and everyone else gobbled it down but i didnt and ate a sandwich. something told me it didnt look good. don't know what it could have been but everyone else who ate it had a bad stomach for the next two days. i didnt because i had the sandwish :smug:

So you know not to do it again but it's not worth worrying about now as it's done and there is nothing you can do!!

I think most people will do something/eat something/behave in a way they shouldn't at some point when they are pregnant and most of the time the restrictions are simply to be on the safe side and err on the side of caution. While I agree that we should try not to do the things/eat the things we shouldn't I would refuse to be made to feel guilty over a mistake.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->