IPads for Kids

O

Ozzieshunni

Yay or Nay? How old would your child have to be in order to get them an Ipad? Should they only be for special circumstances?

Not sure how old...if it was solely his, he'd have to be quite old, but if I had one, i'd let him on it. That said, think my mum is planning on getting Jacob a kids one for Christmas...i'm not too keen on too much technology for children, but if it's limited then I guess it won't do much harm. It is the world we live in too, they will learn to use them at some point. I'm really undecided tbh.

I wouldn't buy an ipad for a child , something later on like leap frog for learning. I think ipad is for adults with all access of internet? excise my ignorance I dont keep up with these things. I may get William one of them learning stations, dosnt have access to internet.

^^ On a lot of the kids ones (which adults could use too), you can put parental controls on the internet, or block it completely, you can also set timers so they turn off after however long you want them on them for...think they sound pretty good really. But yeah, agree that an ipad is really for adults...but my aunt has one and Jacob had a go on it (with her obvs), just on a kids reading thing, so that kind of thing wouldn't bother me, I just wouldn't buy one specifically for a child!

Thats good then, I have no idea about how they work. Though buying something so dear and easily broken I would hesitate. I would buy myself something like that first and give something a bit more resilient to a child. I think my heart would sink once I seen an ipad sale across the room lol

Sophia has one of her own. Awesome learning tool.

We have a tablet which River uses mostly. It's brilliant for kids. She plays games, does puzzles, it has flash cards on there, some kids tv shows, netflix.

For her age I see no issue with it. I would worry more with an older child if they are just using it to look at the internet.

My nephew is getting one for xmas, he's 4.

I don't really think he should have his own specific one. That's like a 400 quid gift, which I personally think is ott for a 4 year old.

If it was a family one I would have no issues with a kid using it though.

Our kids are 1 and 6 and they use our ones but for Xmas they getting an I touch each

I wouldn't buy an ipad but DD1 does want a Tablet, she wants the kindle fire HD and I have told her she can ask for one next year, (which I will get her) she will be 10 by then.

We do allow them to go on our stuff, laptops, phones etc for an hour or so here or there which I don't mind but personally I don't see the point in them having one of their own, they would only be allowed to use it for same amount of time as they do ours so it would really just be a waste of money IMO :shrug:

I have an iPad and love it, the kids play with it but I wouldn't buy one specifically for them, anything under 12 is too young in my opinion.

Yes my girls have an ipad mini each for Christmas.

Will they have controlled time on the ipad or will they be let loose to play whenever they want? Controlled.

When will they mostly be used? Educational/learning apps and when we travel in the car (you can buy movies on itunes).

There are a lot worse things in the world you could buy a child I don't see the problem moving with the times, many schools are now using high tech gadgets and both of us as parents move with them so the kids will.

With my admin hat back on this was quite sneaky to take a closed thread to the debates where it is said to be less moderated. I will be moderating this thread.

For me, there has to be a limit to what you spend on children's 'toys' (for educational purposes or otherwise) OH and I both have apps on our iPads and iPhones and let LO play with them when we're on long car journeys etc. But like all toys, his interest lasts all of 10 minutes at a time so I think parents who buy kids such 'toys' really do it more for themselves than the kids ;) And before you say anything, I am just as guilty because I'll buy the occasional silly techy thing and he'll end up playing with the box instead of the toy.

For me, there has to be a limit to what you spend on children's 'toys' (for educational purposes or otherwise) OH and I both have apps on our iPads and iPhones and let LO play with them when we're on long car journeys etc. But like all toys, his interest lasts all of 10 minutes at a time so I think parents who buy kids such 'toys' really do it more for themselves than the kids ;) And before you say anything, I am just as guilty because I'll buy the occasional silly techy thing and he'll end up playing with the box instead of the toy.
You call them toys? As a buyer myself (well actually OH did) I have never referred to the ipad as a toy. Neither of us need to use them ...both of us have tablets more the fact the kids can't use ours because we both use all our devices for work.

We are all the same bought the in toy to realise how bored they get of them or over spent for the first baby (omg the gadgets I got with my now eldest was stupid) but this is not a toy, isn't thought of as a toy and won't be used as one.

You call them toys? As a buyer myself (well actually OH did) I have never referred to the ipad as a toy. Neither of us need to use them ...both of us have tablets more the fact the kids can't use ours because we both use all our devices for work.

We are all the same bought the in toy to realise how bored they get of them or over spent for the first baby (omg the gadgets I got with my now eldest was stupid) but this is not a toy, isn't thought of as a toy and won't be used as one.

I referred to it as a 'toy' is because I read the question and automatically rephrased it as 'Would I buy an iPad for my child?' who is 10 mths, so, NO! :)

I see the age your kids are at, it is like a portable computer w.r.t educational value so its more of an educational 'tool' than a 'toy'.

I teach in a school which uses iPads with 3 to 12 year olds. They are great for lots of learning activities, not just apps. E uses ours and she is 3. As is the case with all children and technology, they don't have the hang ups adults do and can be pretty creative and adventurous as a result. If you are worried about damage then there are great protective cases and screens you can buy.

@cee108 Ah got you. I'd be amazed if anyone refers to it as a toy that's why I asked :D although actually as I say that I can see some might, definitely not the case here though.

I'll be honest I growled at first. When the new ipods and ipads came out we knew the older versions would be reduced and I even suggested a second hand one but he went the whole new mini :dohh: hey ho it's done now but also a shame he didn't tell me Daddy was buying extra gifts after I spent my £150 budget for each... He's also rather pissed Santa is getting the credit :lol:!

This ipad will be locked down and plenty of learning apps :D

I teach in a school which uses iPads with 3 to 12 year olds. They are great for lots of learning activities, not just apps. E uses ours and she is 3. As is the case with all children and technology, they don't have the hang ups adults do and can be pretty creative and adventurous as a result. If you are worried about damage then there are great protective cases and screens you can buy.

I'd love some suggestions for the kids if you have them (and the time to post the info) :D

I don't have an iPad but would absolutely get one for Elyse if it was in the budget. She has loads of games (educational mainly) on my iPhone and she uses my mom's touch screen computer regularly for things like ABCmouse, Disney Jr, etc. The ABCmouse site has an activity to teach them the mouse (Elyse gets confused as I use my mouse left-handed but she's doing really well)... personally I feel that I'm giving her an advantage, computers/technology aren't going anywhere- I'm 23 and in my lifetime we've gone from no one having home computers to everyone having them, with the internet, to TVs and cellphones hooked up to the internet etc.

Probably due to finances it would be mine with apps on it for her or a family thing to share at this time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->