IPads for Kids

no mommyjogger i think they dont need one. yeah theres a technogeneration but doesnt mean they need to be mindless at home.

pen and paper!

Wow, I'm the only one that said not at all? :shrug: What do kids need with an ipad? They'll have ancient cell phones once they reach an age they're doing stuff without us and they'll have a computer or two in a common living space and maybe an mp3 player. Hell, I don't have anything like an iphone and I hate seeing people spaced out staring at them. We'll have a "no gadgets in the house" rule.

Here they are in every school, so it is another educational aid.

I wouldn't buy my child an iPad, they're quite expensive and I think that large purchases like that are a bit extreme for a 4 year old IMO.

That being said, IF I owned one I would let her use it with me supervising.

I totally agree with you. We bought my son his own computer but he is 12. I know the kids now are just so smart and if I had a 4yr old he or she would be able to use ours (I Pad), but I would not buy one for a child that age. maybe 12 or over.

Wow, I'm the only one that said not at all? :shrug: What do kids need with an ipad? They'll have ancient cell phones once they reach an age they're doing stuff without us and they'll have a computer or two in a common living space and maybe an mp3 player. Hell, I don't have anything like an iphone and I hate seeing people spaced out staring at them. We'll have a "no gadgets in the house" rule.

Here they are in every school, so it is another educational aid.

WHAAAT? That sounds like someone in charge of curriculum has stock in Apple...

Hahaha. IT is becoming so important from such a young age. I was really shocked to see six laptops out on my daughters first day in reception class (she is four). The school they were at is just about to open a new IT suite, with 60pc's, there will be 1 laptop per two children in the school and I think there is about 20 ipads.

Saying no gadgets could put children at a disadvantage.

We didn't get a computer until I was about 15. My schoppl used them as did my friends and I struggled to do the same homework/research and felt left out when my friends were emailing each other at home. It isolated me a lot

I said on certain occasions.

My dad and his wife bought one recently. They asked to get the kids one for Xmas and I refused. I understand its all about parenting with them etc...but my nephews seemed to fixated on it and show no sort of intention to talk? They are 1 and 2?

My dad bought one and DS played with it, and always started to walk into their house and ask for it. SM gave it no questions asked, I was running around after DD before I realised we had to go and DS had been on it for 45 minutes with NO interaction with any other members of his family.

I told him we were going home and he hit me :saywhat: he's NEVER done that before? But he got cross because he wanted to stay with the ipad.

So I banned it. Now *if* they play on it, its only for a 10 minutes at a time until further notice.

I don't doubt that they are useful toold and educational ones for kids. But at the minute, I'd rather tehm develop their social skills, learning to talk, imaginery play etc... with others.

I don't doubt other children, including your own are able to do that. But that day proved to me that my children aren't ready for that yet. IMO.

I said yes at any age, but wanted to clarify she had access to our iPad. I wouldn't buy one for her.

I technically sold my own iPad to get an upgraded one for Alex. I am not so sure if I would fork out the full amount. Probably not. But I did it knowing the family would all have access to it in the house and its not like she's be hiding it under her pillow at night so we couldn't get it.

(She would knowing her :rofl:)

I'd consider an iPad mini though had we had nothing

I find a lot of people look down their noses knowing that the main reason we have one is for Alex. A lot of judgement.

I don't even have an iPad so there's no way my 2 year old is having one! Lol

That being said, I do have a Nexus 7 tablet and I allow Kai to play games on it, with me supervising. His current favourite is FishFarts hahahaha. Not very educational really but he enjoys it for maybe 5 minutes every few days. We do have more educational games too.

I'd not buy him one just for himself. Anything we do buy is for family use. And it'll be the same as he grows up.

A year ago, i would have said no. I woudnt buy one sfor the kids.

But i got a ipad3 in July, and honestly. We all love it as much as each other.

Its Zachs favourite thing atm. He has limited time on it though, else he will sit on it for hours and hours. But the things he has learnt from it amaze me. He has struggled with speech for a while, and a week or two ago i downloaded a few more flashcard apps, he is so good with those now, and his speech is coming along so well.
He also LOVES jigsaw games. I which we do together mostly.
Madi likes the ipad, but not as much as Zach, she prefers to watch Charlie and Lola on it.

Im thinking this year im going to get them a tablet each for Christmas. Im not sure which yet, maybe and ipad1, but i havent looked into it. Iv heard Kindle Fire is great too.

Kala, i was the same growing up. Mum did buy us a computer when i was 12/13 i think but she wouldnt have the internet. And i struggled so much with homework... while everyone else zoomed through it using google.

A year ago, i would have said no. I woudnt buy one sfor the kids.

But i got a ipad3 in July, and honestly. We all love it as much as each other.

Its Zachs favourite thing atm. He has limited time on it though, else he will sit on it for hours and hours. But the things he has learnt from it amaze me. He has struggled with speech for a while, and a week or two ago i downloaded a few more flashcard apps, he is so good with those now, and his speech is coming along so well.
He also LOVES jigsaw games. I which we do together mostly.
Madi likes the ipad, but not as much as Zach, she prefers to watch Charlie and Lola on it.

Im thinking this year im going to get them a tablet each for Christmas. Im not sure which yet, maybe and ipad1, but i havent looked into it. Iv heard Kindle Fire is great too.

Kala, i was the same growing up. Mum did buy us a computer when i was 12/13 i think but she wouldnt have the internet. And i struggled so much with homework... while everyone else zoomed through it using google.

why not use actual flash cards and jigsaws? helps their fingers strengthen and learn dexterity so its not just 'push push push' with pad of finger?x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->