IPads for Kids

I hate touchscreen computers and phones in general. I think my fingers are too fat or something cos I can never use them properly :haha: Maybe thats why I won't get Maria one - cos she'd make me look bad when she could use it better than me...

I think it just worries me that its more screen time and I already know that screen time is bad for Maria cos on the days that she watches more than one or two episodes of the Moomins then she is so grumpy the rest of the day. And tablets are so new that we don't know the long term effects yet of them on young children. I'm sure strictly limited use can't really have much of a negative effect but I just feel safer not letting Maria have one at all.

Not trying to be argumentative but curious as to what you feel the long-term effects could be? Just so I can consider them myself.

I'm sure prolonged use of ANYTHING is a bad idea (like having your eyes too close to a TV screen, that's what comes to mind for me straight away) but I think most people (especially those on parenting forums, who, IMHO are generally better informed than parents who aren't, we just seem to be exposed to more information, more ideas, different ways of doing things?) aren't allowing their kids free reign- more supervised and somewhat limited play. Like my daughter is allowed to use my iPhone but unless she's wandered off with it, she is usually at the table while I prep dinner or using it in her car seat. I sit beside her or with her on my lap and do ABC mouse on the computer, usually 20 mins in the evening.

I honestly don't know really, its just a bad feeling I have about them. I have read things about them having a dopamine-releasing effect which is something to do with addiction if I remember right, and also something about it affecting muscle memory (I think thats the term) - that young children aren't learning the muscle memories needed for certain things but instead learning muscle memories for using tablets. I'm pretty sure these things can be avoided by limiting use and ensuring that other activities happen too (for the muscle memory thing) but for Maria at least, I think that if she is like me then she will be easily addicted to things, so in that case I don't want the risk of addiction with the dopamine release so in that case it does depend on the child.
I would like to know more about that. I have seen children addicted to them. My own sister never has her head out of them and all my cousins. I cant get conversations out of any of them at all. They cant function without some sort of visual electronic device. So in turn I would worry my kids would have them and do this to so the dopamine thing interests me.

Makes sense, Nat! I think I know a fair few adults glued to their devices- makes sense it could apply to kids.

Yeah my OH is glued to his iPhone and I'm glued to my laptop but if I spend the day without it I feel so much better so it makes sense to me that Maria would feel better without spending time on computers and tablets and phones. And anything with addictive potential I really strictly limit my children with purely because of my family history of addiction and I know that it doesn't have to be the same with other children.

I think it's terrible when kids or even adults sit and play on their phones when they are visiting people. I have a cousin that just sits on his DS. He's not as talkative as the rest of us, but he's always been placated with technology. None of that technology existed when we were his age.

I'm curious about the free apps. Seems to me those are the ones most people will go for because they are, well, free.

They're usually shorter versions of the full paid ones. But there are many free educational ones that are also very good. If you don't like an app you can easily delete it.

I hate touchscreen computers and phones in general. I think my fingers are too fat or something cos I can never use them properly :haha: Maybe thats why I won't get Maria one - cos she'd make me look bad when she could use it better than me...

I think it just worries me that its more screen time and I already know that screen time is bad for Maria cos on the days that she watches more than one or two episodes of the Moomins then she is so grumpy the rest of the day. And tablets are so new that we don't know the long term effects yet of them on young children. I'm sure strictly limited use can't really have much of a negative effect but I just feel safer not letting Maria have one at all.

Not trying to be argumentative but curious as to what you feel the long-term effects could be? Just so I can consider them myself.

I'm sure prolonged use of ANYTHING is a bad idea (like having your eyes too close to a TV screen, that's what comes to mind for me straight away) but I think most people (especially those on parenting forums, who, IMHO are generally better informed than parents who aren't, we just seem to be exposed to more information, more ideas, different ways of doing things?) aren't allowing their kids free reign- more supervised and somewhat limited play. Like my daughter is allowed to use my iPhone but unless she's wandered off with it, she is usually at the table while I prep dinner or using it in her car seat. I sit beside her or with her on my lap and do ABC mouse on the computer, usually 20 mins in the evening.

I honestly don't know really, its just a bad feeling I have about them. I have read things about them having a dopamine-releasing effect which is something to do with addiction if I remember right, and also something about it affecting muscle memory (I think thats the term) - that young children aren't learning the muscle memories needed for certain things but instead learning muscle memories for using tablets. I'm pretty sure these things can be avoided by limiting use and ensuring that other activities happen too (for the muscle memory thing) but for Maria at least, I think that if she is like me then she will be easily addicted to things, so in that case I don't want the risk of addiction with the dopamine release so in that case it does depend on the child.
I would like to know more about that. I have seen children addicted to them. My own sister never has her head out of them and all my cousins. I cant get conversations out of any of them at all. They cant function without some sort of visual electronic device. So in turn I would worry my kids would have them and do this to so the dopamine thing interests me.

I'll see if I can find some articles on it

Edit: there's only a brief mention of it at the end, on the whole the article seems pretty positive about iPads but it mentions the dopamine anyway https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304363104577391813961853988.html I'll keep looking

F can use our iPad with supervision...we have a few toddler friendly apps like drawing and animal noises etc. I don't know when I'd buy him his own as like others have mentioned, they can be so addictive and I want to limit the amount of screen time my kids get. I actually think I need to limit the amount of screen time I get lol! My New Year's resolution is to leave the iPad upstairs and not be on it until the kids are napping or are in bed!! No more zoned out mommy!!! :haha:

I wouldn't buy an iPad full stop, I think they're an overpriced piece of rubbish that you can't do anything with. No proper customisation at all.

Anyway, that's besides the point. My OH has a tablet (an old one but he's getting the Nexus 10 when he has the money) and I have an Asus Transformer (well worth the money unlike the rip off iPad) and LO will not be using them. We will not buy her her own because we don't want her inside all day playing computer games. My niece does this and she is totally fixated on her computer and never goes out to play. She will have a laptop for school and that's it. And even then she won't be on it all day every day like my niece is.

She can have one when she can afford to buy one herself. She should also appreciate the value of money and that she won't get something so expensive given to her.

The thing is though that there is no reason for a child to be online/ inside all day unless a parent lets them. As the parent you can decide how long you want your child to use it for. Access to technology doesn't mean that you cannot play!

We have an iPad which miah uses for games and puzzles, you get really good spelling games on it for kids aswell, she has her own little section with her games in it, she likes to watch my little pony aswell so it's great for that, it's also great for long car journeys!! It was a life saver when we went to Birmingham.

I'm curious though. My mom bought me and my brother flash cards. We sat and read aloud. She had books on tape for the car. There are other ways to do educational things with your children besides educational apps on an ipad. Do parents that have ipads for their kids do these things as well?

Another thing, I know they have all these education apps but am I the only one that doesn't want my child learning to read and spell and stuff at such a young age? I know its better to learn to read at a later age so I guess I think its the same with other educational things.

I said not until they are a teenager, but I would let my lo use an ipad at any age. I just don't think she should have her own ipad/computer. We have a piano ap that she loves even now. She won't be allowed to use it whenever she wants though. It will be limited like the tv will be.

Another thing, I know they have all these education apps but am I the only one that doesn't want my child learning to read and spell and stuff at such a young age? I know its better to learn to read at a later age so I guess I think its the same with other educational things.

This is true as well. I remember learning in my child development class that if a child learns something before they are really ready, they develop coping mechanisms in their brain and never really learn the topic fully.

That's interesting Ozzi! What is the thought process behind it? I definitely for one do not want Claire to learn anything before she's ready and potentially muck it up for her.

I'm so sensitive when it comes to stuff with her. :blush: Every other (4 or almost 4 year old) that I know grasps the Santa concept, does their list, is excited etc... but with her she just doesn't get it. Not that I try to force it by any means of course! I try each year to do things that other kids her age are doing and if it doesn't work we move on and its not a big deal.

Although there is a part of me that wishes that she did understand things like normal kiddos do.

I'm trying to remember. It was all very fascinating to me. It has something to do with how neural pathways develop in the brain. If a child learns something before their brain has formed the pathways to do so, the neurons skip steps, if you get what I mean?

This is true as well. I remember learning in my child development class that if a child learns something before they are really ready, they develop coping mechanisms in their brain and never really learn the topic fully.

Interesting! I'll look into this further, I've never really heard of it before (but admittedly have no education in child development). This is why I love BnB!

I always just figured keep things age-appropriate to avoid her getting upset/frustrated!

It really is! It's something that has stuck with me all through teaching. Gentle learning techniques and waiting until a child is ready. Like reading for example. It begins with hearing the story, then being able to paraphrase what is happening, then learning little words. A good foundation in reading leads to a good foundation for spelling and writing :)

I remember vaguely that the optimum age of learning to read being associated with the ability to skip while swinging alternating hands or something like that, bascially that it was some physical skill that indicated that the brain had developed enough to learn to read properly without ill effect.

I worry with Maria too Tiff. I felt so bad when I thought she was behind in learning to talk but the more I read about delaying learning the more I feel better about it and the more I feel like Maria shouldn't be learning anything like reading or spelling anytime in the next few years! All I want for her for the next few years is to enjoy being a kid and play outdoors as much as possible and generally focus of physical learning I guess. Sometimes I get frustrated because she doesn't understand things that I think other kids her age can but then I think that its maybe better in the long run that she doesn't.

:thumbup: Very cool information! Thanks Natsku and Ozzieshunni!

Is that not what they say about potty training and the likes aswell, if you push before ready then it just creates more problems? I'm not really sure what its called or what it entails just that I've read it about potty training, reading, writing etc.

Like I said earlier I don't mind my LO's playing on mine, (DD1 is 9 and will play on it probablly 4 times a week for 1/2-1 hour, DD2 who is 4 plays on it probally once a month on average for an hour or so and LO who is 2.5 doesn't play on it) and they only usually play the same game, Peppa or Moshi monsters atm I just really don't see the point in them having their own. Me and OH have laptops which we use for general use so personally I see them as more than adequate.
I'm not sure though personally if the device or the apts themselves would teach a child to read, I would say that parents would have to have a lot more input in teaching a child to read to. I'm not really bothered when any of mine start reading whether it be younger or older, as long as their not pushed and I follow their lead I think they will do it in their own time. DD1 was reading simple books by the time she was half way through her first year at nursery, so 3.5 and words themselves before the age of 3, DD2 is 5 in April and has just started reading her first words, very very simple ones at that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->