Irish boys and girls names

slj0316

Reaction score
I need some irish boys and girls names. This is my first pregnancy and I have no idea. My husband is 100% IRISH thus the Irish names. I am Italian lol But I can deal with Irish lol j/k I am just so confused there are so many

For a girl I like
Not sure if either are Irish thoough

Sophia
Ella

Boy...????

:hugs:

I dont think those are Irish, but some girl names are like: Anne and Clare,

and boys names are: Connor and Patrick.

Im drawing a blank on others :haha: !!

Try this site!

https://www.babynamesofireland.com/

Alannah is a girls name I really liked, but hubby wasn't so keen. I've liked Siobhan for a long time. For boys I love Aidan but it's really, really popular in the US right now.

I named my son Aiden after only hearing it once and now we are inindated by Aiden's. Its crazy! Good name though and very fitting for my little man! Good luck on the Irish names. They are my favorite... I wanted to name my second son Liam though I'm not sure if its technically Irish or Celtic.

Thanks girls. No Ella and Sopia aren't Irish there just what I like. trying to find some irish ones to replace them. There just so many I get confused. I like them all lol

Skylark - Liam is Irish, it's actually Irish for William.

The problem about Irish names is the spelling is often difficult. A few girls ones are:-

Niamh (pronounced - neeve)
Caoimhe (Kee-va)
Ciara (Kiar-a)
Roisin (Roh-sheen)
and my favourite
Cliona (cle-a-na or Clain-a)

Boys:-

Ciaran
Liam
Conor
Oisin (osh-een)

Girls:
Adara
Kiara
Ailey
Kiana
Aliana

[B]Boys:[/B]
Kieran
Liam
Caelin
Cody

https://www.babyandbump.com/baby-names/523116-irish-name-pronunciation.html#post8908012 I made a thread for them, in the link. The first thing before the spellings scare you off is to decide whether you prefer authentic Irish names, that are IN Irish, like Siobhán, Niamh etc, Irish names that have been anglicised- like the boys name Ciarán which has become Kieran, or American-Irish names that you would barely ever find in Ireland, the most popular example would be Erin. The problem with going for the correct Irish spelling outside of Ireland is that people will pronounce it wrong, which plenty of people find annoying. Irish has sounds that aren't in the English language at all, I found it really difficult to phonetically spell some of them on my thread, it's much easier when you just know them if you're fluent.:haha: If you need any help with pronunciation, alternative spellings or judging how popular a name is, ask me. (Most of the more popular girls names are at the top.) I'm going to plug my favourite name, Sadhbh/Sadbh, it's a girls name and ryhmes with I've. It could be your Sophia replacement! My favourite Irish boys names are Darragh/Daire/Dara, Liam and Oisín (Ush-een). Hope you find one that suits you! Don't be afraid to alter the spelling if it makes like easier.

Saoirse for a girl maybe?

I have 2 boys, Shay, and Conor.
And this baby will be called Oisin.
I am Irish living in Scotland so it will be interesting to see how they cope with Oisin!!!!

Lovesexy - I have a friend who has a Caoimhe living in Australia - god knows how they cope with that!!

Saoirse for a girl maybe?

I have 2 boys, Shay, and Conor.
And this baby will be called Oisin.
I am Irish living in Scotland so it will be interesting to see how they cope with Oisin!!!!

LOVE Oisín! Ah should fare better in Scotland rather than England! It's my favourite Irish boys name but OH has already vetoed it years before TTC:haha:

I too am thinking of Irish names for my little one, I love Shae for a boy (although lots of people keep telling me it's a girls name) and Orla is beautiful for a girl, unfortunately my boyfriend isn't keen on Orla! Good luck on ur Irish name quest and I'm sure u will find one just perfect!

Sinead (my name :D :D :D) for a girl? hehe (pronounced SHINADE) x

I too am thinking of Irish names for my little one, I love Shae for a boy (although lots of people keep telling me it's a girls name) and Orla is beautiful for a girl, unfortunately my boyfriend isn't keen on Orla! Good luck on ur Irish name quest and I'm sure u will find one just perfect!

Im pretty sure Shae (or some people spell it Shay) is deffo a boys name! it can be used to shorten the name Seamus! xx

Rory,
Aoife (ee-fa) This seems particularly tricky for most people
Meabh (mave)
Deirdre/Deidre (Deer-dree)
Saoirse (seer-sha)
Aisling (ash-ling)
Eoghan (owen)
Dillon
Fionn/Finn (fin)

I LOVE Oisin and Orla!

Deirdre/Deidre (Deer-dree)
Fionn/Finn (fin)

Deirdre is pronounced as Deer-drah here, and Fionn as fyunn. I know they change abroad, just giving the 'Irish' pronunciations. Names like Fionn and Cáit I think are much more difficult than Aoife, though I suppose most of them look nothing like the spelling!

Girl:
Orla
Siobhán
Mairéad
Niamh
Aoibheann
Aoife
Meabh
Catherine
Bernadette
Bridgett

Boy