Irish boys and girls names

Hi,
I am wondering if someone can shed some light on a middle name I have picked.
I am from Ireland and have heard this name a few times.. FIONN, but it has always been pronounced Finn.
I have picked this name Fionn but want to pronounce it Finn... Will his confuse people do you think?
I know its just a middle name and not really going to be used a lot.

Hope I make sense!
thanks

Hi,
I am from Ireland and have heard this name a few times.. FIONN, but it has always been pronounced Finn.
I have picked this name Fionn but want to pronounce it Finn... Will his confuse people do you think?

Hope I make sense!
thanks

I don't think that will be confusing at all... I really like it :thumbup:

Hi,

Hope I make sense!
thanks

I say it would confuse Irish people hun, if i seen Fionn i would pronunce it F-yun not Finn. So it depends really but seeing as its only going to be a middle name it isnt going to be used too often and its your baby so you can spell it what ever way you want, you might have to correct people a few times but they will get the spelling of it right after a while.

I am just thinking the way it is spelt and pronounced in Irish folklore.... "Fionn MacChuil" I know it probably won't be used that often but I want the complete name to be Right in spelling and pronounciation.

I am just thinking the way it is spelt and pronounced in Irish folklore.... "Fionn MacChuil" I know it probably won't be used that often but I want the complete name to be Right in spelling and pronounciation.

I doubt it will confuse anyone outside of Ireland, 'fyun' seems to just be the accepted pronunciation here in Ireland for it. Fionn McCool is also called Finn McCool so they're very interchangeable! I'd say you'll be fine with that spelling and pronunciation, it'd just confuse people here if you were on holiday here! Maybe if it became a problem you could change the name and drop the o later? Though since it's a middle name not a first name it should be fine.

I doubt it will confuse anyone outside of Ireland, 'fyun' seems to just be the accepted pronunciation here in Ireland for it. Fionn McCool is also called Finn McCool so they're very interchangeable! I'd say you'll be fine with that spelling and pronunciation, it'd just confuse people here if you were on holiday here! Maybe if it became a problem you could change the name and drop the o later? Though since it's a middle name not a first name it should be fine.

Thank you Mushroom. All my family still live i Ireland but I think they will be ok with the spelling.. and as you say Fionn McCool is also called Finn.

I don't think Fionn's confusing at all, there's a lot more tricky Irish names to pronounce!

DS is called Odhrán, we're Northern Irish. Not sure what to call our second baby though, think it would be nice to give him/her an Irish name also. For another boy, maybe Oisín but can't think of any other boys names that I like. For a girl, maybe Orlaith/Orla, Oonagh or Maeve/Méabh.

I don't know if it has already been listen, but I LOVE the name Keegan. I believe it's suppose to be a boys name. But, I can see how it'd be used for a girls. :)

another irish name we have in the family is killian and kieran and kean

I don't know if it has already been listen, but I LOVE the name Keegan. I believe it's suppose to be a boys name. But, I can see how it'd be used for a girls. :)

It's a surname, so I've no idea what gender it's supposed to be! I'd imagine it's a fairly modern usage. Nice though! Reminds me of the girl's name Tegan.

I love Kian & Finn, I had glanced over those in the baby name book. And for a girl I really like Maeve x

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/tte1895.aspx

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttdf089.aspx

https://www.justparents.co.uk/images/genderpred/predictedBoy.gif

https://davf.daisypath.com/jQvI.png

https://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttebcc4.aspx

Harlow Frances or Lola Frances :pink:
Noah Francis :blue:

I found an unusual irish/Gaelic name on the web after searching for several hours. Now I cant find it. it means "0f the sea' and was prounced something like MAEdrin or Maedreen.
Does anyone know the correct spelling and pronunciation of it. It is for my adopted 8 week old little girl arriving to me in three weeks.
Thanks,
Eileen

I found an unusual irish/Gaelic name on the web after searching for several hours. Now I cant find it. it means "0f the sea' and was prounced something like MAEdrin or Maedreen.
Does anyone know the correct spelling and pronunciation of it. It is for my adopted 8 week old little girl arriving to me in three weeks.
Thanks,
Eileen

Was it maybe :

Mairín (Maur-een)

Mairead (Mar-ayde)

Muireann (Mer-rinn)

Maeve/Meadhbh (May-ve)

My favorite of all time is Aoibheann, I think its beautiful, and it means "love"!
Can be pn either Ay-veen or Eve-een. Both are beautiful :flow:

Thanks,
Eileen

That sounds lovely, hope you get your answer :) and best wishes for your new arrival xx

My favorite of all time is Aoibheann, I think its beautiful, and it means "love"!
Can be pn either Ay-veen or Eve-een. Both are beautiful :flow:

I love this name, and am wondering which way it is more commonly pronoucedand does the variation depend on where in Ireland?

Some other older Irish names include:
Girls:
Aifric
Grian

Boys:
Aodh
Donncha
Fiachra
Finnian

Also, for any Irish out there, how do you pronounce Sorcha?
Sor-ka /
Sur-ka /
Some other way
And do you think it varies regionally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member