Emer
Rosin
Rois - rosh
Niamh - neve
Tiarna
Rianagh - raina
Cleanagh - claina
Bronagh - brona

Also, for any Irish out there, how do you pronounce Sorcha?
Sor-ka /
Sur-ka /
Some other way
And do you think it varies regionally?

I pn it more like Sura-kah, if that makes sense?

As for Aoibheann, were from Munster so I'd most likely use the Ay-veen pn, but in my experience the Eve-enn pn is used more in the North!
What way would you pn it?

Also, for any Irish out there, how do you pronounce Sorcha?
Sor-ka /
Sur-ka /
Some other way
And do you think it varies regionally?

I pn it more like Sura-kah, if that makes sense?

As for Aoibheann, were from Munster so I'd most likely use the Ay-veen pn, but in my experience the Eve-enn pn is used more in the North!
What way would you pn it?

Thanks. Makes sense alright. :)
I'm currently up n but have lived in a few different parts of Ireland. I don't know any Aoibheann's, that's why I'm curious.
The Eve-een pronounciation is straight forward enough, is Ay-veen pronounced I-veen or Aa-veen, or Ah-veen? Sorry now that's prob v confusin lol

I found an unusual irish/Gaelic name on the web after searching for several hours. Now I cant find it. it means "0f the sea' and was prounced something like MAEdrin or Maedreen.
Does anyone know the correct spelling and pronunciation of it. It is for my adopted 8 week old little girl arriving to me in three weeks.
Thanks,
Eileen

That sounds lovely, hope you get your answer :) and best wishes for your new arrival xx

My favorite of all time is Aoibheann, I think its beautiful, and it means "love"!
Can be pn either Ay-veen or Eve-een. Both are beautiful :flow:

I love this name, and am wondering which way it is more commonly pronoucedand does the variation depend on where in Ireland?

Some other older Irish names include:
Girls:
Aifric
Grian

Boys:
Aodh
Donncha
Fiachra
Finnian

Ee-veen would be far more common. Never heard of it pronounced Ay-veen. I live near Dublin by the way. As for Aoibheann pronounced Ay-veen, it's not I-veen or Ah-veen, it's like A as in ABC!

I pronounce Sorcha as Sore-kah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->