Iron tablets, constipation and pushing

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Tryingfora4th, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Tryingfora4th

Tryingfora4th Well-Known Member

Ok, we all know what taking iron does to our digestion, I tried the spatone but it didnt bring my HB level up it just stopped it going down any further so now I'm on good old fashioned iron tablets.

*REALLY* paranoid I'm gonna do a big black poo when it comes to pushing baby out :blush: so looking for tips!
    I think you used to be able to ask the midwife for a laxative in early labour, is that still the case?
    I cannot stomach fybogel and cant get the other kind (benefibre/fibresure) locally... I've tried everywhere!

Maybe I should just resort to 2 bowla of allbran every day, what do you think?

2. Wiggler

Wiggler Mummy to three monkeys

At least 1 big bowl of a fibre cereal covered in Activia pouring yogurt every day should help keep you more regular, I used it when I was on iron tablets. x x x

3. Natty_babez

Natty_babez Alexa-Jayne & Daisy-Mae

I'm paranoid about pooing to hun so know exactly what you mean and the fact its as black as coal just makes it more embarrasing ha. I was going to mention it to my midwife at my next appointment next Wednesday. Can they defo not give you anything to clear you out before ?

xxx

4. Tryingfora4th

Tryingfora4th Well-Known Member

I dont know if they do it anymore, I think if I recall correctly, you could ask for something in the early stages but that was when I was pregnant with my first, 14 years ago!

5. ChristinaRN

ChristinaRN Mother of 3, pg with #4

Drink TONS of water to help prevent the constipation. Otherwise not sure what you guys have in Scotland.....here we have Miralax and I might try that.

6. bluecathy1978

bluecathy1978 Mum to 6 kids & 2 angels

I asked for a liquid iron supplement instead of the tablets when I was told I needed to take something and I have been fine. The tablets bung me up so badly and Spatone did nothing for me either :(

7. zoella

zoella Well-Known Member

My midwife gave me Movicol sachets, they aren't brilliant, but make things a bit easier :)

8. lilgemsy

lilgemsy First baby! (boy)

When I was on iron tablets I ate cereal which was rich in fibre every morning with a glass of orange juice... They kept me regular haha :p
    FX'd you dont poop in labour! :) x

9. mamamay

mamamay Mummy to Leo

Thats exactly what I have and have been going regular now ! Try the Activia kiwi fibre yoghurt as well x

10. womblemum

womblemum Well-Known Member

I came off all pregnancy multivits at the beginning of the 2nd trimester as I was fed up with the constipation and belly aches - have you tried just using diet to keep your iron up?

I'm making sure I have red meat several times a week and veg/fruit of different colours to get all my vits and at the moment digestion still seems to be working.

11. x Alanna x

x Alanna x Well-Known Member

Ive never had a problem with constipation on my iron tabs.. i drink tonnes of water tho.. so maybe that helps me??

prune juice is amazing for bowel movement.. it tastes disgusting.. but a cup of that and within 20 mins you will need the toilet lol.. xx

12. four

four Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... I may have to try the prune juice. I am on a slow release iron tablet. It helps some, but still not as regular as I would like. I have enought trouble with just pregnancy slowing digestion. I don't think I can drink any more water than I do. lol

13. MaisieJune

MaisieJune Corey, bump & Angel Logan

I'm on lactulose due to constipation from medication that I'm on and it helps a fair bit. I would go over 8 days without any movement until I take this. It's sugar based and is safe or they wouldn't prescribe it. I was on ferrous sulphate 600mg a day in my previous pregnancy but not this time round.

14. x Alanna x

x Alanna x Well-Known Member

prune juice is amazing.. also.. when you take ur iron tablets, take them with a glass of fresh orange juice.. that should help you go the toilet..

im on 3 iron tablets a day but they dont really seem to bother my digestion!!.. just keep some fibre in ya diet everyday and you should be ok :D xx