is anyone an ex smoker?

72 hours smoke free, one hour at a time is the only way I can do this right now

congratulations!! joining a quit smoking forum really helped me, i joined quitnet which tells you time smoke free and has forums where you can post and read messages. the first week was the hardest, im now 88 days smoke free! its only really hard now when my husband smokes in front of me (outside) otherwise i dont really miss it anymore

Jessica_MTY- great suggestion, I didn't know about quitnet. I will look into it.

Congrats hun! This is the best thing that you can do for yourself and your LO.

I smoked for 15 years and was smoking 25 a day at the end. I quit cold turkey the minute I got my bfp. I promised myself I'd cut back when ttc, but I didn't, but the minute I knew I was pregnant I knew I had to do whatever it took to keep my bean safe. I haven't touched a cig for more that two years and I don't miss it really...who wants to stink? Think of the cash you'll save to spend on lovely baby things too!

Believe in yourself and don't give up.:thumbup:

Well done you!

I cut down the the day I found out, I had 3 the day I found out, 2 the day after and 2 the day after that then went onto an E cigarette for 4 weeks - now im 19 weeks have no desire ever to smoke again!
x

I kept trying to quit while ttc, but just couldn't do it. I kept telling myself I would HAVE to quit if I got pregnant. I got my bfp at 11dpo and snuck a puff here and there until 14 dpo. Haven't smoked since, but it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I just could never bring myself to smoke now. I would feel SOOO guilty.

I quit about 10 years ago, just cut back until I was only having 3 a day, then 1 a day, then finally none. I thought the desire for cigarettes would be with me my whole life; I loved them so much! But after a year or less, I had no desire for them anymore.

By the time I had cut down to 1-3 a day, it was just psychological for me, not physical. Cigarettes were my "break from life" in a way; the time I could just sit and relax, and enjoy something. So it's important to find another outlet; something else that relaxes you and that you can look forward to. Whether it's zoning out in front of the TV, going for a walk in a pretty park, jogging, gardening, playing a mindless game on your phone, taking a nap, yoga, deep breathing, even a snack or piece of candy as long as you don't go overboard, just whatever you enjoy and relaxes you.

The other thing that helped me was I had moved to a new place, and none of my new friends happened to smoke. If other people were smoking around me, it would have been much harder, I'm sure.

If I make it through the day, it will be one week no smoking!!

I could have written this post a year and a half ago. Even though we were trying I told myself I will quit when we find out we are pregnant or after I new I had ovulated. Of course it never worked out. It is a very very very very hard habit to get rid off. I made the final decision after 4 losses that it was time to quit before we tried again. Since we were going through IVF I really didn't have any choice. I didn't want to spend all that money on IVF and continue to smoke making my chances at conceiving and having a healthy baby that much worse. It is so true that you have to really want to quit in order for it to work.

Congrats on being smoke free even if it's only been 72 hours. You are headed in the right direction. Just keep reminding yourself why you are doing this and good luck to you!

I am not a smoker but I came in to read so I figured I would ask..

What about the electronics? Are they better? Not that either one is probably great but is it a better alternative I guess. Just curious :)

The only problem I personally see with the E ciggs is that they are not approved by the FDA and from what I have been able to find about them it is unclear of how "safe" they are or any health problems they might cause. That being said, I would still think that they would be better than real cigs because LESS chemicals HAS to be safER........right? And also you can get cartriges that have less nicotine in them all the way down to 0.

To the OP, I am probably going to get blasted for this but I am an ex smoker, 15 years smoking and smoked through my pregnancy. I wanted to quit and felt so guilty every time I smoked but I just couldn't lay them down. I cut back bit by bit through my pregnancy starting off at a pack+ before I found out, after I found out went down to 10-13/day instantly and got down to 3 or 4 a day by the day before he was born. I had to go in the day before because I was having BP problems so they kept me over night and induced me the next am. Obviously I couldn't smoke in the hospital, then as soon as they laid him on my chest and the instant I looked into his eyes I said " I'm done " and that was it. Been an EX smoker every since and am proud for it. I guess it just wasn't fully REAL to me until I looked into his eyes. I mean, I knew he was in there, I could feel him moving and see the sonograms, but I guess it just didn't "click" until I saw him face to face and instantly thought "I would die for you, who cares about a cig?" Just breathe. Tell yourself you can do this, visualize your baby looking up at you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I am not a smoker but I came in to read so I figured I would ask..

What about the electronics? Are they better? Not that either one is probably great but is it a better alternative I guess. Just curious :)

The only problem I personally see with the E ciggs is that they are not approved by the FDA and from what I have been able to find about them it is unclear of how "safe" they are or any health problems they might cause. That being said, I would still think that they would be better than real cigs because LESS chemicals HAS to be safER........right? And also you can get cartriges that have less nicotine in them all the way down to 0.

To the OP, I am probably going to get blasted for this but I am an ex smoker, 15 years smoking and smoked through my pregnancy. I wanted to quit and felt so guilty every time I smoked but I just couldn't lay them down. I cut back bit by bit through my pregnancy starting off at a pack+ before I found out, after I found out went down to 10-13/day instantly and got down to 3 or 4 a day by the day before he was born. I had to go in the day before because I was having BP problems so they kept me over night and induced me the next am. Obviously I couldn't smoke in the hospital, then as soon as they laid him on my chest and the instant I looked into his eyes I said " I'm done " and that was it. Been an EX smoker every since and am proud for it. I guess it just wasn't fully REAL to me until I looked into his eyes. I mean, I knew he was in there, I could feel him moving and see the sonograms, but I guess it just didn't "click" until I saw him face to face and instantly thought "I would die for you, who cares about a cig?" Just breathe. Tell yourself you can do this, visualize your baby looking up at you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

im hoping when my baby is born i will have lost the urge to smoke completely. i must admit, right now im not smoking for the baby but im not sure i really see it as a permanent quit...

I can't see myself ever loosing the urge to smoke, its quite enjoyable! But I'm hoping everyday I continue to choose not to smoke. I think about smoking a little less each day, but boy when those cravings come, its sooooooo hard. I don't feel any less vulnerable or any less at risk of picking up a cigarette all these days later. The headaches are better at least. Id love to think I can have one every now and then, but every time I've quit, even for as long as a year before, that one cigarette becomes 2 then 3 then before I know it, I'm smoking again. I don't want to be here again, I've done this soooooo many times! What an aweful addiction.

I can't see myself ever loosing the urge to smoke, its quite enjoyable! But I'm hoping everyday I continue to choose not to smoke. I think about smoking a little less each day, but boy when those cravings come, its sooooooo hard. I don't feel any less vulnerable or any less at risk of picking up a cigarette all these days later. The headaches are better at least. Id love to think I can have one every now and then, but every time I've quit, even for as long as a year before, that one cigarette becomes 2 then 3 then before I know it, I'm smoking again. I don't want to be here again, I've done this soooooo many times! What an aweful addiction.

I really, really loved my cigarettes, and thought I would always want them. But truly, in less than a year, I had no desire to smoke anymore (I wish I remembered exactly how long it took, but it was so long ago now). Ten years later, the idea of putting a cigarette in my mouth and inhaling smoke is a foreign concept; it seems so bizarre to do now.

You're right though about relapsing. Thinking you can just have one will bring you right back to square one and you'll either have to be a smoker for life, or go through this hard part again to quit. And what's the point in suffering through this part again? That was my thinking anyway when I actually made my mind up to quit.

I was a smoker until I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks. I'm 10 weeks now and haven't looked back :) I plan to breastfeed for at least 1-2 years, so I won't be smoking then and even after weaning I don't believe in smoking around or in view of my children, so that should be it forever!

Good luck! I couldn't give up during a period when I TTCd, but for me it just clicked when I found out I was pregnant.

Still smoke free, still going strong! Hoping I'm getting closer to my BFP!

Well done :thumbup:you should be proud you are doing so well, keep up the good work! Fx'd for you :dust:

hi :hi:
I smoked while ttc and tried to stop, nothing worked, I am nearly 7 weeks pregnant and I can't even put a cigarette in my mouth as I feel sick ALL the time.

I relapsed. Had a couple after this last negative pregnancy test. Pretty upset with myself. I was doing so good and bam, went out and bought some. Even knowing this is affecting my fertility, I was still able to do it. I'm so ashamed. Will I ever get pregnant?!?!? Pretty upset right now. I NEED to throw them away and start again. I want a family and smoking isnt worth it, but this is so hard. Gotta pick myself up and start again. :(

Aww, that's too bad. But having a few doesn't mean you have to relapse completely. Just throw away the rest of the pack (be sure to actually destroy them, not just put them in the bin) and don't buy anymore. You can't go back to smoking if you don't have any cigs.

I did this a few times while trying to quit as well (and truth be told, relapsed completely once or twice as well, but that was before I really got serious about quitting).

Many people take some time to get pregnant, so try not to get too discouraged or stressed about it. Quitting smoking and getting your health together is an excellent step in making it happen all the sooner. How long have you been trying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->