Is anyone else pregnant for the first time after IVF?

Caseys

Mom to Maxwell, born 2/14
Reaction score
I'm 9 weeks along and got pregnant courtesy of IVF after having tried other methods for ~5 years. I'm having a hard time identifying with others in the first trimester forum that are pregnant with their 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc babies or got pregnant within 2 months of trying.

Is there anyone else like me who is over 35 and pregnant for the first time after trying for a long time? I'm not trying to make this exclusive to IVFers, I would just love to find others in a similar situation as myself :flower:

Oh at last - someone I can share with! I am 34 at the moment, but will be 35 when the little one arrives (god willing) - does that count?

You will see from my signature that my first IVF was cancelled. So this was my first official one. I had 13 eggs, only 3 fertilzed and the whipped me in for a three day transfer and only 2 were up to scratch. But here I am 12 weeks pregnant with one little baby.

I have my proper NHS scan on Thursday. I am very anxious, although I have had two scans already and the midwife picked up the heartbeat at 11 weeks. I think it must be natural after everything we have been through.

Oh and yes the 1st trimester forum is a bit alien to me too. It took hubby and I three years to get here and I couldn't care less about feeling rough or if it is a boy or a girl. I just want a healthy baby, after at times thinking it would never happen.

Good luck to you!

x x x

Yes, age and conception type doesn't matter, I was just looking for someone I can identify with, I'm glad you responded!

I am just over 9 weeks and just had another ultrasound yesterday. It actually moved its arms during the scan, it was so precious I wanted to cry! I was very nervous before it, as I've been reading too much on here about others having problems, miscarriages, etc. I think the baby picked up on it because its heart rate was 182.

I sometimes thought it would never happen as well, thought for some reason I wasn't capable of having a child and that devastated me - most of my friends have had children already, some of them three!

Yeah as uncomfortable as I get sometimes, I remind myself that it's a sign of a healthy pregnancy and that I've finally done it!

Good luck to you as well!

Hi Caseys,

I remember you from the IVF forum. I am now 35 years old and pg for 7 weeks and 3 days along. I got to see baby's heart beat last week and it was so precious that I cried seeing that little tiny beating. Felt real for the first time. I think its because I am still on progestrone shots and all the U/S, BW, etc., that I keep feeling like I am still going through IVF process. The heart beat totally sealed the deal for me.

Its been such a long journey and like both of you here I feel the same way - just want a healthy baby.

Hi MrJPC, I agree with you, the first trimester forum is totally sounding alien to me.

Either of you had your doc talk about the baby neck (Nuchal) test yet?

Hi Everyone,

I just turned 40 3 weeks ago and pregnant with help of IVF for the first time. I had 2 pregnancies before but had ectopic for 1 and mc for other.

I have been trying to post in the 1st Trimester forum too and reading other posts, it feels like I don't belong. I read lots on mc, and other problems and I'm pretty sure statistically it doesn't happen as often as that - I hope!

I'm glad to see some more people with similar situation to me.

I had my first u/s at 7 weeks and saw a heartbeat. It was so wonderful. Tommorow it will be 9 weeks and officially the longest I have been pregnant.

I'm so excited.

Davecr, it's nice to see you again! I was so happy when I saw you finally made it out too. I still monitor a few of the IVF forums to send silent support. I'm worried about Canamfan, I hope she makes it through.

I just "graduated" from my FS yesterday so am in the process of finding my new baby doctor. I'm assuming then they'll tell me other tests I need. I also go off my drugs in less than a week. They've been slowly weaning me off the estradiol patches and i was "fortunate" to have progesterone suppositories and not the shots.

ttcbaby, congrats! I think we have close due dates, I am due February 12th.

Thanks Caseys, congratulation to you too!

I'm due February 15th.

I didn't go back to FS after the transfer, basically I was supposed to have urine test at a lab June 11th, of which I already had a positive at home. I was given prescription with progesterone (suppositories too) and estriadiol (pills) to take until 10 weeks. and instructed to get my GP to book an u/s at 7 weeks. I guess every FS is different though.

Hiya,

Im pregnant with my first after IVF. Had 2 mmc's before but ive never gotten this far (only 8 weeks) and i just feel so blessed and still a little worried, obviously :)

I too have no friends with children really but that is not for lack of trying (and ivf) they've now moved on to adoption..but generally its just me, myself and and the ladies i work with - but since all of them had kids before the age of 25 im a bit on my own there too, lol!

All the best guys :hugs: xxxx

Hi Ladies,

I just turned 35 and pregnant for the first time thanks to IVF. Glad to have found others out there :) I'm 16 weeks now and starting to feel good. Morning sickness is gone and now experiencing my clothes getting snug!!

Stephanie

Congratulations to you all, I've got just two weeks left after falling pregnant on my first ivf/icsi. Just wanted to let you know that it gets better as it goes on and us less about ivf and the struggles and worries and more about the miracle growing inside, I think my turning point was when the baby started moving. It then felt like it was really happening!!!! Until then I was still a bit of a non believer and didn't dare let myself dream ahead!

Hi everyone and congratulations on your pregnancies :)

I´m 43 and pregnant of my first using donor eggs, I´ve been pregnant once before but had a missed MC at 6 weeks. This time I had a scan at 6 weeks at saw a heartbeat which was very precious. Tomorrow I will have a 8 week scan and I´m rather stressed. I would really like some friends that are in a similar position as I am but I´ve had a hard time finding a place I could belong....

Hello to all of you ladies,

Great to hear all of your stories and happy to know that everyone is having similar situations and we can share that and feel better.

Caseys - I agree with you - I hope Canamfan makes it too. I've also been silently following the IVF threads.

I am doing well today. I was so exhausted last night and totally got mad at hubby for not making a decision on dinner. Boy that hormonal/emotional side is working on me right now. I find myself crying last night only because I was exhausted. Didn't make any sense at all. Then I felt like an idiot for yelling at hubby for stupid reason. Nuts :)

Lucky thing for me is no morning sickness so far - keeping fingers crossed. Just very tired and pee-ing tons. I wake up now at least 3 times at night too.

This is such a good little group.

Mrs G - thank you so much for your words - wow 38 weeks seems so far away.

What I would say to all you 8, 9 weekers, is I was just the same. I remember getting to 8 weeks and thinking, well I have never been here before, and then just enjoying each week that passed.

Tomorrow is another milestone, I hope to update you that everything is fine with the little one!

PS my clothes are already feeling tight! ekk

x x x

Hello Ladies,

I had my weekly visit with the ivf doc and he measured the baby length and heartbeat. 150 bpm - woohoo. Said all is going well. I am praying nurse calls today and takes me off the progrestrone shots. I am so black and blue from previous shots that finding a good spot for new one without hurting is getting very difficult.

I am also trying to get better about exercise. Trying to walk at least 30 min each day even though I am usually exhausted by the time I get home. Hubby is really on me so that I don't drop the ball and get lazy.

How are you ladies doing?

Davecr, that's great news!!! It sucks that you are on the shots. When I went in for my 9 week scan on Monday they decided to wean me off my progesterone suppositories and estradiol patches, by next Monday when i am about 10 weeks I will be off them for good. I think that's when the placenta or something starts producing all of that stuff naturally. So it should be soon!

I think it's ok to be a little lazy in the first trimester, especially if you live in Houston and it's summertime, ugh! I also heard we're supposed to get some of our energy back when we hit our 2nd tri, I hope that's true. I always go for at least a 10 minute brisk walk at lunchtime, maybe you can try that too?

Deleted this post, i was just venting before.

Hello ladies,

Good news - I am off the progestrone shots. Doc said it was ok to go to the suppositories. My poor bum and hips can finally heal. They are pretty much red and purple already. Doc told me they would slowly wean me off the estradiol and patch as well. It will be nice to not be on so many meds though it might feel weird after such a long time.

I think it will be weird to not have weekly appointments too where I can get to see the baby on US as well after they release me to regular OB. Its nice to see the baby and know all is going well every week.

Caseys - Good idea about the walk at lunch time. I will try to do that in the parking garage - way too hot in Houston to walk outside. I'd melt :) What were you venting about? I love that I can vent on this site - such a relief.

How are you doing Mrs JPC?

Uni - how did you 8-week scan go?

Hope all of you are having a good day.

Davecr, we can celebrate our new "freedom" from support meds together, yay! I am so glad I never had to do the shots, they sound like they were terrible! The suppositories are nothing compared to them.

Morning sickness seems to have kicked up since I stopped the estradiol, ugh! Two more weeks until it's supposed to abate though so I guess I will consider myself lucky.

I got released from my fertility doc at 9 weeks, I thought I was supposed to stay with them until 12 weeks so hopefully that's a sign that things are going really well.

What I was venting about on Friday was I came to work feeling sick then got on a call with a very pissed off customer who was yelling at me so afterwards I just sat at my desk and cried, thought I was alone then someone came by to talk to me and I got busted. My boss knows I cried so I think she thinks I'm a wacko now. I know it's just hormones and was probably a good sign but still.... I deleted the post when I decided I didn't want to think about it anymore over the weekend. :)

Have you guys told your employers yet? I've been holding off, finally just told my coworker that I am very close to and she's ecstatic, confirmed she had no clue and that my boss has no clue. I'm trying to hold off for another 2 weeks but it is so hard!!

Davecr, it's supposed to be 95 here today (I am just outside Denver). I feel your pain!!

Hi Caseys,

No worries about venting. You should definitely vent here - where most everyone understands or have been through it. I totally hear you about feeling completely wacko. I lost it when I noticed the nice new leather on brand new couch having discoloration and releasing it might be from the heat pad i was putting on after the shots. I sat on the floor and refused to sit on the couch and then started crying. Poor hubby is like 'its just a couch. come sit up here' and I am crying like a baby telling him I can't sit on the couch. He actually video taped my crying and talking because he found it so hilarious and then I got mad at him for doing so. Felt like a complete idiot afterwards.

No I haven't told anyone at work though my boss is starting to wonder with all the doctor's appointments, etc. We are going to wait until after 12 weeks before telling anyone. I am sure other coworkers are also starting to wonder since I usually wear heels to work and just switched to wearing flats since acupuncturist said it helps to avoid MC. We have some very observant women in the office so no doubt they will all go 'oh i knew it'. My sister is also starting to wonder since I am telling her I am tired all the time. Its so hard not to tell family.

Oh this is totally weird - had a coworker who used to work in this department and now is on another floor all together come up and ask me if I was pregnant because she had a dream over the weekend and I was pregnant in her dream. I was like WTHeck!! Totally random and I barely see this girl anymore. I had a hard time not showing the surprise on my face.

This week we have decent summer weather with feel like of 94 only. Last week we were in the 105s. Ouch!

I would give anything for a bit of warm weather - It is July and I have the heater on in my office.

Well I had my 12 week scan last Thursday. Baby measured 4 days bigger than we thought, and because we know when I concieved the Dr said I am having a big baby! I'm pleased, big means healthy surely!

I have also just had confirmation that I am low risk for Downs.

I tell you though, I stop worrying about one thing and then look for something else to worry about.

I am 14 weeks on Friday, my boss (very supportive through IVF) and one colleague know, but no one else. I don't know why but I still can't seem to say 'I'm pregnant' I feel like I am lying!

Oh and lack of energy and feeling sick are still a constant. I wish I knew when this energy boost was supposed to kick in!

I was a little gutted when I got discharged from my fertility clinic to the care of a midwife, but apparently that is because everything is normal - so enjoy it!

Love to all and please send some of that sunshine over the Atlantic!

x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->