Is anyone else starting to panic over this coronavirus?

Schools in Scotland and Wales have been closed. England schools still open :nope:

We got our shopping done and there was barely anything on the shelves, it was crazy

I just saw an interview on German tv with a professor of disease and lung illnesses and he said that it is being hyped up unneccessarily and that there have not been more deaths than any other flu season in previous years. He also said that the more you test for Corona the more you will find it and that the virus has been around for a while now and is just one strand of influenza. Interstingly he also mentioned that China is a major investor in WHO as is Bill Gates...
It is reassuring but I doubt that the panic will subside and the economy is taking such a knock from it that I am worried for what kind of austerity we are faced with as a result of all this.

Schools in Scotland and Wales have been closed. England schools still open :nope:

We got our shopping done and there was barely anything on the shelves, it was crazy

I'm so glad they've shut our schools in Wales! Finally! I did hear England should be announcing it soon

I just saw an interview on German tv with a professor of disease and lung illnesses and he said that it is being hyped up unneccessarily and that there have not been more deaths than any other flu season in previous years. He also said that the more you test for Corona the more you will find it and that the virus has been around for a while now and is just one strand of influenza. Interstingly he also mentioned that China is a major investor in WHO as is Bill Gates...
It is reassuring but I doubt that the panic will subside and the economy is taking such a knock from it that I am worried for what kind of austerity we are faced with as a result of all this.

It's a bit of a coincidence too that I've heard Bill Gates is funding the vaccines being developed in china

Schools in England closed from Friday it's just been announced.

Been silently following along.. so glad schools are closing here in wales! Who is going to be keeping their children off from tomorrow? Or is everyone doing it as of the weekend?

Schools in England closed from Friday it's just been announced.

Finally !! I’m gonna be so happy when mine are home and safe ! I went to Home bargain today for my last bits ! Couldn’t get anything I wanted. I’m not going back the shops now. DH is finishing work on Friday too , going to be working from home with the odd trip in , so he’s gonna be the person to go shopping . Me and the kids will make do with the back garden on nice days

Hopefully having the kids off will make people stay at home anyway , we all know the hassle with taking kids shopping !

pulling both mine out now . Not risking it for 2 days . DD1 will be gutted , she loves school , she’s gonna miss her friends !

Last edited:
For all of you with kids, here in Italy we are now having online lessons, I’m talking about high school age children, the best part about the lessons is that they get to see their friends, no sure if the U.K. will do this but it’s sort of working here. If I could give one piece of advice that we here didn’t do, is keep your kids at home, it’s not a time for parks, days out etc... we were put on complete lock down 5 days after the schools went off, mind you we were already on amber lockdown which you guys aren’t, but the more photos came out of loads of people going out with there kids, to the beach, parks and McDonald’s the more it was like what’s the point of keeping them off!!!
I personal think that it’s too much this lockdown, we have enough money for another 6 weeks then I don’t know how I will cope, unless getting a loan from the bank ( which make me so angry ) I have a bar here and we are getting no help from the Italian government apart from not paying some taxes. We will go bust, like many small businesses here, my friends here are self employed teachers here and they have had no money coming in for over two weeks now and most live day to day!!! A lot of Italians have savings or family that will help them but most expats don’t, I know it seem like a hit the kids off or some will like it, but wait till it’s 3 weeks in complete lockdown we’re you need permission just to go to the supermarket or you get find 200 euros or 3 months in jail. It’s scary times. Also because I worked in a bar I have come in contact with hundreds of people from all over the world and I didn’t get it, I am so sorry for anyone who dies of this of course it’s not nice and my hearts go out to everyone’s families BUT life must go on!!! This is going to leave families completely broke, depression will be a killer and for what a virus? I know I may sound a bit angry about it, but it’s like we have been invaded but with no bullets, we have had our human rights taken without being told!!!! I wish I had packed up and came home to the U.K.!!!!

For all of you with kids, here in Italy we are now having online lessons, I’m talking about high school age children, the best part about the lessons is that they get to see their friends, no sure if the U.K. will do this but it’s sort of working here. If I could give one piece of advice that we here didn’t do, is keep your kids at home, it’s not a time for parks, days out etc... we were put on complete lock down 5 days after the schools went off, mind you we were already on amber lockdown which you guys aren’t, but the more photos came out of loads of people going out with there kids, to the beach, parks and McDonald’s the more it was like what’s the point of keeping them off!!!
I personal think that it’s too much this lockdown, we have enough money for another 6 weeks then I don’t know how I will cope, unless getting a loan from the bank ( which make me so angry ) I have a bar here and we are getting no help from the Italian government apart from not paying some taxes. We will go bust, like many small businesses here, my friends here are self employed teachers here and they have had no money coming in for over two weeks now and most live day to day!!! A lot of Italians have savings or family that will help them but most expats don’t, I know it seem like a hit the kids off or some will like it, but wait till it’s 3 weeks in complete lockdown we’re you need permission just to go to the supermarket or you get find 200 euros or 3 months in jail. It’s scary times. Also because I worked in a bar I have come in contact with hundreds of people from all over the world and I didn’t get it, I am so sorry for anyone who dies of this of course it’s not nice and my hearts go out to everyone’s families BUT life must go on!!! This is going to leave families completely broke, depression will be a killer and for what a virus? I know I may sound a bit angry about it, but it’s like we have been invaded but with no bullets, we have had our human rights taken without being told!!!! I wish I had packed up and came home to the U.K.!!!!

That must be so worrying and scary. I'm so sorry you're in this situation :(

Sorry you’re having to go through this, it’s looking very likely the UK will go the same way over the coming days/weeks. I can’t quite get my head around how all our civil liberties will be stripped before our eyes.

I get that the virus is spreading and a horrendous outcome for the vulnerable and elderly in our society. But to completely lock down the whole world indefinitely wtf!

We own a café and are very concerned how we will survive, but more pressing is all our loyal staff and how long we can support them :(

But we’re all in this together, in the same boat. The capitalist model and every societal norm we just took for granted is being broken down day by day. The community support and comradeship is heart warming and showing that even through the most challenging times people come together to support each other.

I’ve been thinking about all the jobs that we never get around to doing, all the precious extra time we have to spend with our family, and generally anything that we can do that keeps this period as productive and enjoyable as is possible.

It will all work itself out in the end :thumbup:

xx

Last edited:
I hope we dont go into lock down, I heard they are planning to lock down london as they are not listening to the protective measures put in place and are spreading the virus like wildfire. I've realised over the past few days that it's all been blown out of proportion by the media, all these deaths and people getting sick are terrible, but how many of us gets sick or dies from normal flu that isnt broadcasted, I understand they want to stop the spread of it, because there is no vaccine at the present time, but this virus is no more of a killer than our regular flu, which we have a vaccine for a people can still die from it, and still go about their lives as normal, and we dont know about it because it isnt broadcasted all over the media. Most of us wont even know we've got it, and are asymptomatic so whatever we do is still going to spread it around, if I feel fine I'm off to the supermarkets, yet I could still be carrying it and spreading it around, so I dont know how these measures of lock down will help. Anyone seen the interview on Idris Elba? He has it and is completely fine. I think everyone needs to wise up about the whole situation, it's not that bad for the majority of us, I've only had one flu vaccine in my life and I've only ever had the flu twice in 29 years, so my regular handwashing and hygiene over the years has helped me to not catch flu when its flying through my area, and the same goes for this coronavirus. The ones that does need to stay indoors are the ones that would generally need a flu vaccine as they are in the high risk category, but for the majority of us that are otherwise healthy should be able to just go about our lives, obviously social distancing is a good thing to do, but not to isolate us with no medical issues, if we catch it we catch it!

Last edited:
Yes this is what I’ve been thinking. I read there were an estimated 151,000 - 575,000 global deaths from swine flu (which I was surprised at) but I don’t remember other than it being in the news that we had to change our way our life at all. It’s rubbish but loads of people die every year from flu.

And it makes sense that vulnerable people who would usually have a flu vaccine would need to self isolate but to make everyone else who will probably have really mild symptoms, or maybe be asymptomatic stay at home indefinitely seems really over the top.

I’m quite saddened by how much panic and frenzy there is in the media. I had to laugh last night on Peston with their ‘worry graphs’, who’s worrying more? What are they worrying about most? :lol:

xx

Yes this is what I’ve been thinking. I read there were an estimated 151,000 - 575,000 global deaths from swine flu (which I was surprised at) but I don’t remember other than it being in the news that we had to change our way our life at all. It’s rubbish but loads of people die every year from flu.

And it makes sense that vulnerable people who would usually have a flu vaccine would need to self isolate but to make everyone else who will probably have really mild symptoms, or maybe be asymptomatic stay at home indefinitely seems really over the top.

I’m quite saddened by how much panic and frenzy there is in the media. I had to laugh last night on Peston with their ‘worry graphs’, who’s worrying more? What are they worrying about most? :lol:

xx

Yep! I'm not even worried about us catching this sodding virus now, I'm worried about feeding us as the shelves are very bare! Even my mum had to cook gammon and potato waffles last night as there was nothing at Tesco! I did have to laugh mind :haha:

I completely agree! I had swineflu and yes it was really unplasant, I had a high fever and a headache like never before but it was not more unpleasant than any other full blown flu without a name.
And what you ladies said about the numbers of deaths from previous years not being broadcast is exactly what that professor on the German TV also said. He said that there have been no more deaths with Corona than any other previous flu season. I don't mean to make light the deaths that have happened but it is good to know that this is not some weird killer virus on the loose but just another named strand of flu.

I completely agree! I had swineflu and yes it was really unplasant, I had a high fever and a headache like never before but it was not more unpleasant than any other full blown flu without a name.
And what you ladies said about the numbers of deaths from previous years not being broadcast is exactly what that professor on the German TV also said. He said that there have been no more deaths with Corona than any other previous flu season. I don't mean to make light the deaths that have happened but it is good to know that this is not some weird killer virus on the loose but just another named strand of flu.

EXACTLY! And the worlds now gone into some pre apocalyptic state because if it :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->