Is there an INCREASED risk of mc if pg again without period

new_mummy

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I know doctors say it's best to wait 1-3 cycles before trying again, for dating reasons and to give yourself time to heal physically/emotionally etc. In your experience did you find an INCREASED risk of having a mc again if you got pregnant straight away without a period in between?

A friend of mine who is a mw has told me that there is no increased risk of miscarriage if you conceive again before waiting for your first period. Plus my husband and I both feel emotionally ready.

HOWEVER reading this on another forum worried me:

"After seeing my dr she told me that unless your hcg is 0 when you ovulate that your mc rates double. A lot of people on here say that you can't ovulate until you are back to 0, but you can. I did. I ovulated and my hcg was 1.87. So make sure your hcg is at 0 before you ovulate. The dr told me about 75% of the women that get pregnant right after a mc when their levels weren't 0, end in another mc. Once you are back at 0 there is no increased risk though!!"

I have also read that if you get pregnant immediately without waiting at least 1 cycle, the lining of your uterus may not be ready to support another pregnancy, resulting in another mc.

I know the internet isn't 100% reliable but reading these things worried me anyway, and now I am debating whether to wait 1 cycle before trying again.

Thanks x

I think it depends on what caused the miscarriage in the first place. If it was a chromosomal abnormality (most common cause of m/c) then I would say definitely no, there is not an increased risk. IF it was due to hormonal imbalance or another underlying reason which is less common then I would say yes.

it's horrible that we probably won't ever know what caused our miscarriages...so it feels like taking such a huge risk getting pregnant again. I have spent weeks trying to figure out what went wrong with the information I have and I still don't know. We just have to take that risk and hope for the best :(

Sorry for you loss xxxxxxxxx

hiya hun, its recently been in the news that there is no need to wait to try again.

check out this link

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727732.900-after-a-miscarriage-no-need-to-put-off-trying-again.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

sorry for ur loss :hugs:

I think this whole miscarriage in the news thing has been blown out of proportion. I also agree that there is no need to wait to try again, but that does not mean you WONT miscarry again, if you have an underlying cause for the m/c. It kind of hurts me to think this news is making people get pregnant even quicker again and for some they will lose that too, as some people DO need to wait, they also may need tests and medication too.

I hope that didn't come across as mean or anything, I'm glad there is some good news RE m/c in the media but I just don't agree with it giving off the message that everyone can get pregnant again straight away..

I think this whole miscarriage in the news thing has been blown out of proportion. I also agree that there is no need to wait to try again, but that does not mean you WONT miscarry again, if you have an underlying cause for the m/c. It kind of hurts me to think this news is making people get pregnant even quicker again and for some they will lose that too, as some people DO need to wait, they also may need tests and medication too.

What she said.

That whole story was slightly taken out of context because in the past they used to tell women to wait 6 months, and what they're saying is they've found that women who didn't wait the full 6 months were more likely to have a successful pregnancy than those that waited.

So 6 months is a long long time. I'm not sure if chances of miscarrying again straight away are higher, if anything my nurse told me there was nothing we could do, however 1 month is quite good to wait for dating reasons.

I waited one cycle for both my losses. Some info here https://www.pregnancyloss.info/trying_again.htm

1. If you do get pregnant again before having a period, you will not establish a reliable Last Menstrual Period date (your miscarriage date is of no use). You will run into lots of problems when you go in for your first prenatal sonograms and blood tests, causing you tons of grief (often for nothing) and can wreck your relationship with your doctor (supporting the "difficult patient" theory.)

2. If you have retained tissue, your period will be "late" (although all post-miscarriage periods take more than four weeks and are late) and you can even have a POSITIVE PREGNANCY TEST, but you are not pregnant. This is hCG left in your system from the miscarriage, which has not completed. You may begin bleeding and cramping and think you are having another miscarriage, but you are just still going through the first one. We have had women on the site grieving over a 2nd lost baby, naming it and everything, when it turned out she only had missed tissue from the previous loss. Having a D&C does not guarantee that all the tissue was taken. About 1/4 of the women on this site with missed tissue had a D&C. If you did not wait for a real period, you will not know if a pregnancy test really means you are pregnant again, or if your loss has become a long drawn-out ordeal.

1. If you do get pregnant again before having a period, you will not establish a reliable Last Menstrual Period date (your miscarriage date is of no use). You will run into lots of problems when you go in for your first prenatal sonograms and blood tests, causing you tons of grief (often for nothing)

This is exactly what happened to me when I didn't wait. Horrible.

Just my 2p... no, there is no evidance that you have any increase drisk of mc again is you don't wait for a cycle, however if you've had a D and C or other medical intervention for a recent m/c it would be wiser to wait.... someone I'm very close to had to have a D and C and was told to wait for one normal cycle - it ended up being 3 months as her first cycle was msot definately NOT normal, due to the uterus healing after the emergency D and C.

However, whats been said before is also spot on - if there's an underlying cause for the m/c then you are at an increased risk anyway... sadly, its usual to have to endure 3 m/c's before you are eligable for testing, unless you have a known history (such as lupus, or clotting disorders in the family).

We were advised to go ahead and not wait but I will say that it seriously does your head in because you don't know when AF is due, so you're constantly running days and numbers through your head just in case...!

I was told to wait a cycle... However my hubby and I were still BDing but not trying hard.. I told myself if it was meant to be it would happen. However, I did not conceive last cycle and am a bit relieved now... My cycle was much longer than average as well. I was told by my Dr. that waiting will give the lining time to thicken. When I did have af (the one after the mc) it was still (tmi warning) much more clotty than typical and I had pretty severe cramps again. Hope this helps. Sorry for your loss hun... :hugs:

P.S. Now this cycle (my second since my mc) I O'd MUCH earlier than the usual 20-22 days. I did at 15!!! At least that is was fertility friend is telling me... So just be advised that you may no O at the typical time...

I agree girls, sorry shoulda put that in my post, i posted it in a bit of a rush.

definitely there are some circumstances where u should wait xx

I was told to wait 6 months before TTC again. I got pregnant right after my m/c without having an af in between. Good Luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->