Is this totally inappropriate???

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chelseav1213

OH and I have been thinking about #2 ( PCOS & Diabetes means its harder to get pregnant, and we need to do it sooner rather than later ).. Now, both of us love the name "Kal-el" ( it is supermans real name) is this totally inappropriate, (people told us Ryan Ray sounded horrible but now i couldnt imagine another name for our boy! ) I would most likely change the spelling, and possibly he would be called "kal"or "cal" depending on how we spell it, but would this warrant teasing from other children? I am in US, so this is NOT a common name here, and I've never heard anyone else have the name (except I think Nicholas Cage's son)

I think its fine. Loads of people wont know the connection to superman in any case and there are loads of unusual names for babies these days so if you both like it thats all that matters.

I think its fine to. I think alot of people wouldent even make connection and doubt children would. I love the name ryan ray by the way :)

Absolutely fine. Love it in fact! :thumbup:

The way I see it, is the only people the name matters to is you, your partner and your kid and if they don't like having that name when they're older they can call themselves "Cal" as you've said and it sounds more normal. We had to go through the same process as we called our son Enzo (Vincenzo in full) and we decided if he didn't like having an Italian name when he's older he can be Vince/Vinnie etc.

Most people won't even get the superman reference I don't think. There are far stranger names out there! I like the name Harper but my family are having a fit at the idea.

I. Love. It.

My husband and I considered Clark for a boy's name at one time because of the connection. And Oliver because of the green arrow.

thank you ladies i feel better now that it is not that strange! now we just need a little boy to add to the name! :)

I like it.:thumbup:
We named our son after one of the main characters in Penny Arcade Tycho we love the name

I love unique names, but to an extent! lol
My cousin said to me
"You and OH are both white, why pick such a non-traditional name, you don't think this is odd??"
Because we are white, therefore our child will be white, this makes Kal-El not an appropriate name??

I know someone called Kalel, I bet most ppl wouldnt even know its from superman, just sounds like a name. :) heard alot worse!....

I think its fine, didn't know it was a reference to superman but i actually suggested Khalil to someone last week

just make sure no one gets a superman tattoo incorporating Kalel in place of the 'S'

I know a Kalel and knew it was superman.

just had to post that ive just taken my son to a meet and greet at his new school (he starts in September) and one of the little boys in his class is called Kal-el (spelt that exact way)

So long as we're all being honest here: I think it's awful.

It's what Nicolas Cage named his son and it's one of those names I think of when I think of "celebrity baby names" wherein I feel sorry for the kid.

I mean, I enjoy a good comic book reference in a name (all of my children have or will have comic book names), but I think it should be a name that's meant to sound like it comes from this planet.

Its not meant to be a refrence to comic books I just like the name and it just happens to be Supermans name, also why would you comment that after I already had my question answered and was happy with it

Its not meant to be a refrence to comic books I just like the name and it just happens to be Supermans name, also why would you comment that after I already had my question answered and was happy with it
Why would I comment as I did?

The title of this thread is "Is this totally inappropriate???," you just posted it today, and the OP asked what people thought of the name. You asked "Would it warrant teasing from other children?" My answer to that question is, "Yes. Only a LOT."

If what you really want is for people to only tell you what you want to hear, then consider calling your next thread, "This WILL be my baby's name. Please come adore it! Dissenting opinions not wanted!"

I think you should do it. I don't think it will warrant any teasing. After all, you can always call him Kal for short!

I think Kalel is ok, though I'm not sure about the spelling Kal-el. He will have to spell it out for the rest of his life. Does the "-" change the pronunciation?

as I said there is a boy in my sons new class with the name, I have also heard of it before yesterday as well so no not a name that's stupid/made up and would warrant bullying, it doesn't rhyme with anything rude that I can think of, its not silly or cutesie that will be hard to grow with and its the name of a superhero - kids will find it cool as hell as for adults it shortens to kal (I know 2 adults called cal never thought to ask if its short for anything because it just seems normal)

I admit i would spell it without the dash but it doesnt change the fact that that is the correct spelling of the name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"