I've got Viral throat infection.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by LouiseClare, Apr 9, 2009.

1. LouiseClare

LouiseClare Well-Known Member

Morning everyone.

I started getting a sore throat on Saturday, this slowly got worse, I didn't go to work on Tuesday, I saw a nurse at my surgery and she said I had a viral throat infection. She said she couldn't give me anything for it because of the pregnancy, she just told me to keep taking paracetamol. Well it's Thursday today and it's worse than ever! I can hardly swallow my own spit. I can't sleep for longer than two hours because the paracetamol has worn off. I've just had a Calippo ice lolly, which seems to help the pain for about 5 minutes.
    I'm so fed up!

I'm thinking of ringing the doctor when it opens to try and get another appointment but i'm not holding out much hope, it's really difficult to get an appointment at such short notice. Also is there any point? the nurse wouldn't give me anything on Tuesday.

Do anyone have any miracle cures?

2. dizzy duck

dizzy duck Mummy to Oliver

Aww hun, huge :hug:, wish I could help but didn't want to read and run, I would try and get another appointment hun just to get a second opinion, I really hope it starts to clear up soon, take care :hugs: XX

3. leighbaby

leighbaby yummy mummy

That sounds rrruuubbiiisshhh!!! I don't think you can take much for viral infections anyway. I usually gargle (eurgh!!) with hot salty water with a drop (a real little DROP) of detol/TCP in it and take paracetamol too.

If you can fight it yourself - without help from docs - it will produce more good antibodies you can pass on to baby :)

4. soon2b6

soon2b6 Mum to 6

Sounds really nasty, hope it gets better soon. My daughter was told to gargle with soluble paracetamol (then swallow it) but you should check that soluble is OK in pregnancy, I dont know about that. Just thought if you were taking paracetamol anyway it might help to do it this way.

5. Angel21

Angel21 Mummy to Joseph and Jacob

Still no better matey? Hope you feel better soon, relax and take care of yourself x :hugs:

6. morriss29

morriss29 New Member

hi, im 29weeks and last week had such a bad throat infection but it was only on one side of my mouth, it got me so ill i ended up in hospital! my doctor prescribed me with penicillin and after 3days of them and paracetamol i was ok but now i have got up today and it has started to come back but on the other side in my mouth, does any1 know what this is and if its normall in pregnancy? thanks

7. MrsPear

MrsPear Mum

:hugs: Sounds really miserable. I don't think you could take much more for a viral infection anyway, except probably stronger painkillers. I hope you get better soon, I think it really is a case of riding it out and you have my sympathy xx

8. MrsPear

MrsPear Mum

It might mean you need another course of antibiotics to clear it up fully. Sometimes a bad infection can take more antibiotics than the standard prescription. I know what you mean about it coming back on the other side of the mouth, I have had that before too. I don't think it's a problem that is specific to pregnancy but you do need to go back to the doctor as it sounds like you might need some more antibiotics. Get well soon x