IVF or FET November/December 2015 - chat thread

I'm glad things are a bit calmer for you this week, scoob! And yes, i agree with you - I went shopping for more maternity clothes yesterday and when trying them on and looking in the mirror, was just marveling at how much my body has changed for these little ones so far! (stomach of a 31-weeker, boobs went from 34B to 38D!!)
Crazy stuff

Hello, my dears!

Wish: hurray on a truly successful scan! And funny that you could ascertain yourself that they are both boys! :haha: Congratulations on V-day, but you've still a long way ahead of you, so don't let yourself worry too much about those extreme tragic cases--fortunately, they are really rare! :hugs: Lol on the body changes--it is true, so much happens that feels like it should just not be possible... but it is! There you are, making all this space for these little ones, your boobs getting ready to make them milk... Everything is as it shoudl be! :thumbup:

Boopin: sending you hugs, love, and baby dust right back, my dear! :hugs: <3 :dust:

Scooby: yay, congrats on V-day! Well done on being able to come back down to earth and focus on one thing at a time--it must be difficult with a pending move at work and a pending baby in your belly!

AFM: I met my doc last week and he said ok to our two-at-a-time-3-day-embryos plan... He tried to convince us to grow them to blast but he was kind enough to relent. We have a pretty detailed FET plan now--we'll start out going for a natural cycle, monitoring for ovulation and adding oestrogen and then progesterone... they default to doing fully-medicated cycles (so, ovulation suppression, like in Wish's case) but I prefer trying natural first--hopefully my lining will thicken sufficiently, to at least 8... We'll use steroids until pregnancy test time and then we'll switch to intralipids. Most of you gals are way past having to worry about this stuff! Anyway, I'm waiting for AF which should arrive in the next 3 days, and then I'll book my uterine/tubal investigation--hopefully no hydrosalpinx and no adhesions or polyps...

omigosh, you're almost PUPO again, klik!!! I'm so excited!!! :happydance:

so glad your doc relented to your wishes too - that's wonderful.

hello my quiet ladies! What's new?

klik - did you get AF as expected and book your next appt?

boopin - are you gearing up for your first cycle??? it's mid-October, I thought I remembered that things were starting up now for you guys!

disney and amanda - how goes it?

scooby - I know you're slammed at work but :wave: :)

Hi Wish! I haven't logged on in so long and I am SO HAPPY to hear you are pregnant with twins!!! OMG I am so so incredibly thrilled for you!! I hope your pregnancy is going well! I am trying for baby #2 so it's great to be back here with all of you ladies!

HOPE!!! we've missed you!! I'm so glad you're back!!! :hugs:

how have you been? catch us up!!

Okay quick recap-

At my 38 week scan we found out my son had hydrocephalus.
3 surgeries in the month of September 2016 and he has been doing amazingly well!
He is perfect in every way and I love being a mom!
We celebrated his first birthday on 9/1/17- we did a Tom Cruise "Top Gun" theme because he's our little fighter.
My husband and I are ready for baby #2. We just started trying last month. I hope it happens naturally this time. Last time I was on here I did 3 IUIs before we got our lucky rainbow babe.

Here are a few picks of our little one.

Attachments

• 22366515_10214750596063125_6718845879584438891_n.jpg
    22366515_10214750596063125_6718845879584438891_n.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 22196378_10214682006708434_3311827427517312784_n.jpg
    22196378_10214682006708434_3311827427517312784_n.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 21751836_10214555257979795_2488565783196546703_n.jpg
    21751836_10214555257979795_2488565783196546703_n.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 3
how are you feeling?? when are you due?? I bet you and hubby are over the moon with joy!!

Hi ladies! We had a bit of a scare recently with the wildfires in California. We had to evacuate our house for almost a week, but we were thankfully able to return home last Sunday. We are still trying to get the house back in order as we made quite a mess trying to go through the house and find everything we wanted to keep in case the unthinkable were to happen. We are SOOOO incredibly grateful for the firefighters who worked hard to protect our area.

DD2 is officially 3 months old. Where is the time going?! :shrug::wacko: Everyone is doing well on our end, and I hope all is well with everyone, too! :thumbup:

Hope - your little man is adorable!! Best of luck on #2! We were shocked to conceive DD2 the old fashioned way after everything we went through for #1 (plus 3 failed FETs with genetically tested embryos on the journey for #2), so it’s definitely possible. :dust: Are you on Facebook? We have a private group where some of us have shared a few pics.

Hope, he's adorable! I'm so sorry for all you've gone through but am SO thankful for the end result! What a little heartbreaker you have. I hope that this 2nd time around is a lot easier for you too.

disney - WOW - SO glad you're ok!!! That's so scary! obviously we've been watching from afar and I can't even imagine.
3 mos old?? how??? that's craziness!!

hope - I'm feeling generally great. Getting sore - sore back, stiff legs/hips when I stand after sitting for a bit, etc. Baby B's head is in my ribs sometimes and it's getting to be a sharper pain. But I just nudge him away and we're good. I know it's just going to get worse so I'm trying not to complain but it really does hurt.
We had my shower this past weekend and it was just wonderful. I was a little overwhelmed at a couple points, I almost started crying. I'm tearing up thinking about it. I just never thought I'd have my own day. Damn hormones...
oh, and we're due on 1/28. I'm just hoping to make it to January!

hope- :hi: I think I joined this thread after you had already left. Your son is adorable & best of luck on #2!!!

Disney- Wow, so very scary you had to evacuate! I'm glad your family & your house are ok. Did you have to go to a hotel or was there family you were able to stay with? Cannot believe your daughter is already 3 months old!!! It seems like you just had her like a week ago lol.

wish- I can't imagine how strong the kicks must be with a non-anterior placenta & with two! I think I'm finally able to differentiate body parts now. Pretty sure I felt a tiny little hand last night. :cloud9: I know I already said this but I'm so happy your shower went well! I'm still having great luck on FB marketplace, I highly recommend if you're still missing any key items. :thumbup:

klik- How are you? Hoping you are all clear to start your FET cycle and well underway!

Amanda- How are you and the little munchkin doing? Well I hope!

boopin- I hope you're doing well!

AFM, in the process of packing up and moving our office and should be out of here by next week. Can't wait! Baby is doing well. I had a good appointment on Monday, everything looks fine & I passed my gestational diabetes test. :thumbup: I've met 5 of the 6 doctors at my OB and will meet the last one at my next appointment 11/21. So far I like all of them and feel like I'm in good hands no matter who ends up delivering for me. I do have a favorite though, and it's actually not my doctor lol.

ohhh so happy that your move is almost finalized!! that's awesome!
I love how you can feel body parts. I can't figure them out. I am trying to tell by where the movement is but I know feet can be up by their head - flexible little fellas - so I just don't know!
Do you have the line yet? or an outie bellybutton? :haha: I have the line but my BB is still an innie :) I feel like they might punch it out one day, though. POP!

WE DECIDED NAMES!! I can't wait to spill the beans but I'll keep them under wraps until the babies come. And I signed up for all of our classes this morning. They're all in Nov except for one that wasn't available until 12/2, but we'll be done after that. They recommend setting them all up before week 34, which is the week of 12/18 for me, so we'll be all set.

Wish - Feeling movements, baby shower, and getting classes line up — it sounds like everything is falling nicely into place! :cloud9:

Scooby - We we’re able to stay with my in-laws. We’re still working on putting the house back together. You tend to make a massive mess looking for things to pack when you are in a hurry to get out. :wacko: Better to have a messy house rather than no house, though! I still feel so bad for those that did lose everything. :nope: It’s great that you’ve met most of the OBs already. Congrats on passing your GD test, and good luck with the rest of the move!!

Thanks, disney! :hugs:
AND I just ordered my pump! I got one that I haven't really heard anyone talk about - the Ameda Finesse. It's hospital grade, a closed system, comes with a tote (had to pay for the upgrade but it was only $65 total) and is quiet and lightweight. The only drawback is that it's a manual 2-step process but sounds like that may not be a huge deal. And I guess the Medela is manual as well, not digital. I just learned more in the past 20 mins about pumping than I ever knew!
Each had their own drawbacks (Spectra 1 didn't come with a tote & cooler, Medela isn't a closed system, etc) so I went with my gut.

Let’s see if this works. Inspired by Scooby posting her bump finally, plus Boop has been asking, PLUS someone said on another thread you can post a pic from your phone while in desktop mode. Here’s me at my shower this weekend! :)

Attachments

• 3691C4CF-F6CC-40DA-ABBF-B9D90A3A4D8A.jpg
    3691C4CF-F6CC-40DA-ABBF-B9D90A3A4D8A.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 16
wish- You look awesome!! <3 I think our bumps are the same size lol. No line yet and still have an innie. My bellybutton is super deep though so I don't think it'll pop out! I do have stretch marks though and I got them REALLY early. My theory is that my belly was already in bad shape from the two stim cycles and my skin couldn't handle it. :haha: Please share your pump knowledge with me! I'm woefully ignorant about pumping and I have no idea what to look for. So glad you got all of your classes booked!

Disney- I'm glad you didn't have to stay in a hotel, but still what an ordeal! I can't imagine how scary it must have been to face the prospect of losing all of your belongings. :nope: I'm sorry there's a big mess to clean up but again, so very glad you guys are safe!

I'm so pooped after packing all day here and we're supposed to leave at 4pm but hubby is stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway coming back from a job site and I have to wait for him since we only took one car. My poor little puppies are waiting for us, I hope we don't get home too late!

Thanks, ladies! :hugs:

I love bump pics!

For pumping, you will most definitely need a hands free pumping bra. I highly recommend this one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004S8MGGQ/ref=twister_B004S8MGIO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Assuming your hospitals will have lactation consultants on-site, be sure to ask them to show you how to use the hospital grade pump that they have at the hospital. It will most likely be a Medela Symphony (which I still rent). If you use a pump in the hospital, you get a free set of compatible pump parts that will be rolled into the cost of your hospital stay, which insurance covers. If the hospital has the Symphony, the parts will be Medela ones. Even if your pump at home isn&#8217;t a Medela one, sometimes some pieces are compatible with other brands of pumps.

Thanks girls! I feel really good still. Weighed myself this morning and I have gained 29lbs total. I can't even believe I have an extra almost-30lbs on my body!

Thanks for the tip on the bra, disney! holy crap, there's just so much to buy still to prep for all of this.

So here's my knowledge I gained just yesterday about pumps. I was offered quite a few through insurance so I had a customer support girl do a compare for me b/c I knew nothing.

First, breastfeeding facts I had no idea about: There are 2 phases. I had no idea what 'phase 2' or even 1 was, so I had her explain that to me too - apparently when a baby feeds, they feed quickly at first to stimulate the milk to come, and then your milk let's down/gets expressed and the baby sucks deeper. I guess the milk comes out like a garden hose!! So Phase 1 is a quicker suck on the pump to stimulate, then you have to manually change it when the milk drops (I suck at the right terms) to make them longer/deeper pumps.

Knowing this now, here's what I learned about the pumps offered to me (and or what was written as 'why moms love this pump' in the compare they sent to me):

Ameda Finesse (offered) is the same as the Ameda Purely Yours but upgraded - it's hospital grade and offers more like a massage-like expression than a pulling feeling. It's a 'closed system' which means that there isn't a way for any milk to get deep inside the pump, like in the motor. Open systems, like the Medela, have this risk and can cause mold and such that can get into the milk. So you have to make sure you clean the Medela REALLY WELL all the time. And you have to replace parts on the Medela more often. Ameda also came with an upgraded tote, 6-pack cooler and 3 different breast size pieces. You can do one or both breasts at the same time. AND it only weighs a pound. Battery back-up, but a cord too if I can just plug it into the Mother's Room wall. This is the one I got b/c it sounded right for me going back to work so quickly, trying to pump for twins. I had to pay $65 for the upgraded version with the tote, extra valves, different sizes and upgraded 2-yr warranty. Worth it!

ARDO Calypso - kinda passed by this one b/c I'd never heard of it but she said it was a good one. It's the quietest one on the market, closed system, digital display, 400 hr warranty, lightweight and 64 suction/speed settings. Then I could upgrade to the 'to go' version with the tote.

Medela Pump In Style Advanced Starter Set - Really, the Medela has always been the one mentioned in these threads, but the fact that it wasn't a closed system turned me off of it. It weighs more than the others (I think I saw a compare online that said 4lbs). It's also a manual phase changer too. One-touch letdown, small and compact. Then I could upgrade to a tote, backpack or a 'metro bag' that had a few more accessories.

Medela Freestyle - says it's great for travel or going back to work. Compact, lightweight, hands-free accessory kit, rechargeable battery for mobile pumping, manual phase change, 1-touch letdown button, record pumping sessions, 2 sizes of breast shields, digital timer/display.

Spectra S1 - Intended to rival any and all hospital grade pumps, closed system, digital and you can program to switch phases at a certain time so you don't have to track it like the manual ones, 4lbs, fully customizable. No totes. I might have gone with this one if it had a tote/cooler.

I hope this helps!

Great pump info, Wish. :thumbup:

I personally have issues with getting my milk to come out with the Medela Pump in Style that I got from insurance with baby #1. I rent a hospital grade one as I find it to be a lot more effective for me personally. I came across a &#8220;lactation massager&#8221; that helps me clear out plugged milk ducts (which I get often) and also helps me stimulate the milk enough to help with my milk ejection reflex. It&#8217;s relatively new, but I would have loved to have it with my first born as I exclusively pumped for her as well, and there were a few times where I had really bad blockages that took forever to clear up. I liked it enough that I went back and bought a second one, and I turn them on and stuff them into my pumping bra while I pump. It helps me empty faster, which is a big help because it already takes me a long time.

It may not work for everyone, but I would recommend it to friends. The company is running a sale for the next week, so they are currently 20% off with coupon code ULTIMATEBF20 https://lactationmassager.com/products/lactation-massager?rfsn=841195.8d64c1

If you plan to get a nursing cover to use when you pump, I recommend a poncho style one vs an apron style (front only) one if you want more coverage for privacy.

I linked to the Simple Wishes pumping bra, which is my favorite one to use at home. If I&#8217;m out (and especially when I return to work), I prefer a pumping bra that can be worn as a regular bra just because it&#8217;s a lot more convenient. I like the Ollie Gray ones for that purpose. They run sales from time to time, so I&#8217;m waiting to see if they have any Black Friday specials so that I can get another one (they are NOT cheap).

Kindred Bravely makes extremely comfortable nursing bras, pajamas, and postpartum underwear (especially great post c-section, and they don&#8217;t look like jumbo granny panties :haha:). I follow them on Facebook and wait for coupon specials before buying anything from them. A lot of their stuff is designed to be worn during and after pregnancy. I like that they have free return shipping whether you buy directly from them or via Amazon.

awe-some info, disney!! Thank you so much!!! gahhhhh so much to think about! I'm going to follow Kindred now...

I don't think the boys have flipped yet so I'm getting closer and closer to a c-section. We shall see.

what is everyone doing for Halloween this weekend? do you guys do anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->