January Baby Bears 2017 ~ 48 Momma Bears: 21 Blue, 17 Pink

Ana glad the move went well.

Literati- it lingers after I leave, OB think it could be dust and allergies.

I had an OB appointment they didn't do a u/s but we just saw her last week. They did the doppler and checked her heartbeat. I could listen to it all day. I feel better that though now that I feel her moving so much I know she is doing ok. I go back in 2 weeks so now between the MFM and OB I am back to being seen every other week. I think at this point I am being seen so much to calm my anxiety more than to check on the baby, lol. For leave my company gives me 16 weeks fully paid leave, so I am taking that. I really wish leave in the US was longer, still I feel blessed to get 16 weeks.

I am confused by people getting the WC vaccine for multiple pregnancies? I got my pertussis vaccine before I got pregnant the first time, and I was pretty sure it lasted 10 years and I don't have to get it again until then?

I like in Canada so will be taking the entire year off. I can't imagine only getting 12 weeks. I feel for you all!

I woke up today at 1:45am, and couldn't go back to sleep. This is happening more often lately, I think it's related to the pregnancy but also probably combined with everything else going on in my head with school about to start up again and students coming back on Tuesday. I didn't manage to get back to sleep until after 3:30 and then only slept until 4:30. We had teacher development today, so it was a very long day. We have one more day of training tomorrow and then I have Friday and Monday to get my classroom ready and curriculum ready and then students on Tuesday. :wacko:

I'm not sure I'm ready this year. I think I'm ready just not mentally ready. Today and yesterday I was feeling baby a lot more. It felt a lot like popcorn popping in my stomach! :haha:

As for the Maternity Leave chat - I'll get the 12 weeks of FMLA but that's about it. I have 14 days of sick leave, but because we aren't paid for the 12 weeks I'll use the 14 days of sick leave to pay for the first two weeks of leave and then my short term disability will kick in (thank God I signed up for that a couple years ago and kept it active!) and I'll get some pay for the remainder of the 12 weeks. Either way, the maternity leave in the US is a shame and it's awful that we aren't paid for leave. I'm very lucky I kept my short term disability active otherwise we couldn't afford the leave. :( I have friends who lived in other countries and they have much better leave options

newbie - So glad to hear that the baby is good, but I'm so sorry you feel so badly! :hugs: Hope you're feeling better now.

Chitown - so funny you mention leg cramps because last night I was having the worst leg cramps last night! Ugh it sucks!

Literati - I believe that the reason they revaccinate for each pregnancy with WC is that it basically vaccinates baby through you, because you create new antibodies with the vaccination and then it passes on again to baby.

Wait, the 12 weeks you're given in the US isn't paid? Wtf? So the only way you can actually take the time off is if you can financially afford to go without pay for that time? That's ridiculous! Wow... Yet again, the USA surprises me with stupid "benefits". Sorry, US ladies, that really saddened me this morning :-(

Canadians... enjoy your maternity leave!

I just wish dh would stop referring to that time as a "vacation" - I think I'll work harder during my maternity leave than I have ever done before!

Open house day for me at school... I'm off to put on a happy face and listen to parents try to justify why their child should be changed to another class... I have a polite "sorry, that's against school policy" speech all prepared. Because we're an international school, we get lots of new teachers every year and our parents are terrified of their child being with someone they don't know. This year will be worse than others because we have more men in elementary classes... I love it, but our parents will be worried. Good thing I love my job! Otherwise days like today would run me out of administration and back to the classroom!

The leave in the US is ridiculous! Such a shame they're not more family friendly.

I'm in Canada too so last time I did get the full year. This time I won't get anything as I'm a SAHM but I'm hoping DH will take a month or two of the parental leave.

Anababe- nice to hear from you, and glad move is going well. When will you have your scan instead then?

Angel5000- i've not slept so well last few nights either :( hopeing you get a restful sleep soon

chitown28- have a fab trip. I'm off to Italy in 2 weeks and just can't wait to get away

vrogers & pompey: im a PhD student, so i get paid to do research. i have funding for 3 years and 1 year unfunded to write up my thesis. Sadly, my funding just finished so i am in my unfunded year, which is tough when u are expecting a newborn and want to buy things!! I can add up to an extra year onto my deadline though, but i am going to just aim to take 6 months off, then go back and finish up, graduate then find a part time job.

however i am going to italy for a conference, for uni and hubby is tagging along. Our last trip together really before baby is here. we are going in 11 days! cant wait x

sorry if i missed others, good luck for upcoming scans and appts, move ins and school starts etc!

The maternity in US is terrible :( sorry ladies. I am a SAHM but my OH is hoping to take 6mths off!? It will help as my big 3 still need to see their dad which is a 6hr trip that I wont be up for!

Vix- they are ok about it but nervous. More uncertainty than anything if makes sense? As a place for them didnt come up till August so have not been able to let them see inside yet. They have inductions next week.
Good luck for scan

Ana-Evie is a lovely name

Hope you are all ok.

My arm is so sore after WC vacine!

Yes, "maternity leave" in the US is such a disgrace. So is health insurance. I also get short term disability, but it's only for 6 weeks, concurrent with the unpaid leave, and a fraction of my salary. Thank goodness we were OK enough financially to go without my full salary during that time. I'm also comforted in the knowledge that DH will be home with baby when I go back. He works nights/weekends so he's able to be home during the day. With DD she stayed home with him until almost a year and then started daycare three days a week. We'll do the same with this one. If I had to drop off my 3-month-old at daycare I would lose my damn mind, but it's the reality for many many parents. There's a daycare around the corner from me and I see parents dropping off at 6am. So hard.

I'm hoping I can figure something out similar to what we are doing now so we don't need daycare. Although I don't see DH much I know my child is being loved and cared for properly.

Slammer - Your ultrasound is today, right? If so what time?

Ultrasound is done! It's a BOY! DH pumped his fists, and I said "damnit!" Lol. I don't really mind a boy, but it means I'm losing the battle on the baby's name. And a sister for DD would have been nice. But oh well. I have to go back in two weeks for another scan because they couldn't get a couple pics they needed due to the way baby was facing.

Angel, I have had barely any sleep either. I'm either awake until 3 or 4, or wake up at 3 or 4 and can't fall back asleep. It's miserable because I'm so tired. But don't really want to take naps during the day because I don't want to get on some crazy schedule.

I'm not working now and will be a sahm which I'm so thankful for. I'm in the us and couldn't imagine having to leave my baby with someone, I feel really bad for the people who don't have any other option. The us is not a family friendly place to live as far as benefits. We paid SO much money just to get pregnant because we have no infertility coverage, and we will pay so much money to have the baby. And I just found out today that apparently my insurance isn't within adorable care act guidelines so I don't even get a free breast pump. I'm pretty bummed. But I guess it's the way it goes! Seems like we are in that income bracket that never gets a break!

Slammer - Congrats on the boy!! Boy names are so much harder! We have a list but I think DH has his mind set.

Slammer - massiv congrats!!! :) another one on team blue!!
and its good in a way you get another scan, another look at baby boy! yah!

Ally2015, I'm also a PhD student, but my program allows me to take maternity leave that doesn't impact my allotted time... try to check the maternity leave for your program... mind you, that's through an Australian uni!

Slammer - aww, congrats on the boy! Sorry this means you are losing at the name! Haha. We actually are more sure about our boy name than our girl name at this point, because we already used our favourite girl name up on dd! But I will be happy with either gender. As you said, it would be really nice for dd to have a sister.

Sorry about the terrible maternity leaves some of your get!

Froggy - so wonderful that you're able not to work. That really sucks you have so many medical expenses, though. That would be so tough to pay on your own!

Congrats on the boy slammer!! Are you able to share the name?

Sorry for those who are not sleeping - that's awful! I have nights I don't sleep well which is always on a work night which is so frustrating!

midnight - I can't believe your OH is able to take 6 months off, that's amazing! What does he do?

We have both a boy a girl name now I think (Emilia for a girl and Jamie for a boy), but we'll find out tomorrow which one it is!

I can't believe how poor the maternity leave is in the US? For a first world , rich country, I think it's diabolical :( And it's not even paid??!?!

I plan on taking the full year, but I have holiday to take both before and after my mat leave starts, so in reality it'll be around 14 months. That's not all paid though. About 7 months of that is full pay, some statutory and some unpaid. But we are saving and saving hard now so we can afford for me to take the full year.

I had the pregnancy insomnia with DD, it was so rough! Sorry ladies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->