January Snowdrops 2016: 58 BFPs and counting (12 boys / 8 girls / 4 surprises)!

So was in hospital over night from Wednesday arvo to Thursday arvo because I had some sharp pains in my right side of back n tge side n wasn't feeling bub a lot... So checked me for kidney infection which was clear thank God but I was sent home with panadol osteo and panadene forte cause the think my bones and muscles aren't coping -.- only have 4 days to go im beyond excited to meet my lil man its Friday early morning here :)

Hope her weight picks up soon Lily. She looks absolutely gorgeous. I always thought they expected a baby to lose up to 10% of body weight before starting to gain? Try not to be too disheartened about the breast feeding. Your milk should increase once she starts to take it directly from you as babies are much more efficient than pumps. I struggled to get anything much out with a pump until Joshua was four weeks old last time and I always had much less on my right hand side than my left.

Have been looking back on the thread from when I had Joshua and found all of the details of my old sweeps, which was quite interesting. Last time my waters broke at 4am the morning after my fourth sweep and my sweeps went as follows:

40+6: Sweep 1, 1cm dilated, posterior cervix, high position, medium firmness
41+1: Sweep 2, 1-2cm dilated, posterior cervix, slightly lower, started to lose my plug after this sweep
41+3: Sweep 3, 1-2cm dilated, 50% effaced, stretchy posterior cervix
41+5: Sweep 4, 3cm dilated, -1 station, mid position cervix, soft/medium stretchiness
41+6: Waters broke, but meconium stained and didn't have any contractions. Induced.

This time round it's been as follows:

40: Sweep 1, 2-3cm dilated, 50% effaced, posterior to mid position cervix
40+1: Started to lose plug
40+2: Sweep 2, 2-3cm dilated, 70% effaced mid to anterior position cervix
40+4: Sweep 3, 2-3cm dilated, 70% effaced mid to anterior position cervix, -1 station, very stretchy

So, at least I can take comfort from the fact that I am further along this time than last. We have delayed my fourth sweep from 40+6 to 41+1 so that my body can have a chance to do something on it's own and also because my midwife is off now until Monday and I'd rather they were all done by the same person for consistency of findings.

Sorry to hear about the hospital treatment Sakura. At least you have a fixed date to work towards. Hope you are not in too much pain before then.

She's beautiful lily
My two boys were fatties and CJ gained weight and Chad stayed the same initially
Losing some weight is normal tho
Sorry you were in hospital Sakura X

Sorry you've had to go in to the hospital Sakura

Frustrated, that looks like good progress

Lily, they were concerned over 9%? That's actually really normal and usually expected with breastfed babies. Babies are naturally born with extra fat so they remain healthy while waiting for your milk to come in. If baby is still having 4 or more wet diapers a day, I wouldn't say breastfeeding is a complete failure at all! And expecting her to put on weight overnight seems a bit unrealistic. In 3 or 4 days maybe, but not overnight.

I've breastfed 3 now, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I think posting in the breastfeeding section would be helpful to you also

Sorry you've had to go in to the hospital Sakura

Frustrated, that looks like good progress

Lily, they were concerned over 9%? That's actually really normal and usually expected with breastfed babies. Babies are naturally born with extra fat so they remain healthy while waiting for your milk to come in. If baby is still having 4 or more wet diapers a day, I wouldn't say breastfeeding is a complete failure at all! And expecting her to put on weight overnight seems a bit unrealistic. In 3 or 4 days maybe, but not overnight.

I've breastfed 3 now, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I think posting in the breastfeeding section would be helpful to you also

I totally agree with this lily. I've heard up to 10% loss is completely normal and any more than that is a concern. It's super tough feeling confident breastfeeding in the beginning though, you never know if you're producing enough or if they're eating enough, etc. Don't count yourself as a bf failure so early, or really ever at all!

Congrats ttc! Can't wait to see pictures.

I'm surprised how many ladies are facing inductions! In would have thought babies would have been popping out all over the place by now. I definitely thought bev and blessed should have had babies by now. Hopefully these babies come on their own!

I haven't read back so I hope everyone is ok!

I had contractions all night last night and today but nothing that got regular. Came in to be checked and I was 4cm and 80% effaced. Midwife stripped my membranes which got some going stronger and we went to eat. Came back and got my water broke so I guess I'll be meeting my lil dude tonight or tomorrow :)

Looking forward to your update Blessed! Hope all goes well.

RE: breastfeeding issues - thanks ladies I definitely feel like I've lost confidence with the BF as i can't be sure how much she is having, I felt so guilty in the hospital when they were doing all the tests and doctors are so judgmental I felt like they al thought I had starved my baby on purpose :growlmad:

I really don't know what to do about her bedtime routine (I use the word routine loosely, it's more of a routine for me & DH) Is it best to go to bed together and just wake up when she wakes and sort her out together? At the mo we're doing shifts with him staying downstairs with her 10pm-3am and I'm doing 3am-8am.

Lilly - you will never know how much a breast feed baby is getting. You just have to try to have some confidence that she will get enough. My son used to spend hours on the breast and I never knew when he was feeding and when he was just using me as a dummy. I know that there can be terrible pressure to supplement / top up with formula but that can just make the problem with breast feeding worse as it means she will probably feed less from you and your supply will reduce, although to some extent this can be somewhat counteracted by pumping (and storing/freezing) whenever she has formula (although pumping will usually never get out as much milk as a baby could). When my son was born he was on the 50th centile for weight. By the time he was around 4.5 months he'd dropped to between the 9th and 25th centile. This is not unusual as the UK charts were developed many years ago (back in the fifties I believe) on the basis of formula feed babies. Are you a member of the NCT? They usually have breast feeding consultants who can give advice and reassurnqce? We have a breast feeding cafe here where you can drop in and ask any questions you may have. There are certain things that you can do to try to make sure she takes a good feed, especially at night, such as doing a nappy change half way through the feed to wake her up or putting something cold like a wet wipe against her tummy to try to wake her. Does she sleep a lot? Sometimes babies that do tend not to feed enough and you may need to wake her to feed her if she is losing weight. The guide is that they should feed every three hours at this stage. As for routine we used to go to bed at the same time with the baby in the room with us. I would do the feeding and my husband would do the winding and changing. He (the baby, not my husband :) )was a terrible sleeper and never off the boob for very long but if he was, and if he was losing weight, I would have feed him every three hours (timed from the start of each feed not leaving three hours between feeds) trying to wake him between feeds by nappy changes etc. All of the above is entirely my view though and I'm sure lots of people will have different thoughts. Hope this helps somewhat. I really would take a quick look online to see if there are any breast feeding clinics or cafes in your area. They helped me. You can also do things to increase supply such as eating oats ( I used to make laxtation cookies with them) or taking certain supplements /teas although I need to look up what that supplement was as I'm having a blank at the moment! Good luck :hugs:

Ps your husband sounds wonderful if he's willing to stay up and let you get sleep!

Yay blessed! You've beat your induction!

Lilly, don't let the doctors make you feel bad. Annabel lost just over 10% by day 6 and no one seemed concerned. In terms of routine, just do whatever is working for the both of you in regards to getting enough sleep. Don't worry about not going to bed with DH, it will change again and again over the next few months :) oh and your baby girl is sooo cute.

Bev, how have you not had your baby yet?? I admire your calmness! x

Exciting blessed can't wait for the update!!

Lilly agree with what all the others said... Completely normal
For her to lose weight don't let the doctors make U feel bad at all, u r doing what natural for your child. Just go with what's easiest for the bedtime.. Early weeks can be so hard do whatever suits u all to get through x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->