• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jeremy Clarkson apology

Pearls18

Reaction score
What do we think of the Jeremy Clarkson story and apology? A load of hype about nothing? Or something he should be sacked for?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27253880

Media throwing their weight about if you ask me. Considering it was a clip that was filmed several years ago and not used, it'd be different if he'd said it on a live show. My OH works as an edit assistant in the media and if you were to hear some of the language used in duff shots or between shooting you'd be horrified. You don't see the media jumping on every actor, comedian, presenter etc. Just another thing they've dug up to try and squash clarkson.

I am very politically correct to the point of pissing people off with it BUT the nigger version of the song is the original and the one he would have grown up with and it may have been a slip of the tongue? My mum, who is absolutely colour blind when it comes to race, always has to stop herself singing the original rhyme because it's what she was always used to! I think a sincere apology would probably be enough.

I think it's been a media circus tbh. Regardless of wether he's racist or not, this clip just seemed a slip of the tongue like a pp said, sounded like he retracted it quite quickly in a genuine way.

My word people get bent out of shape! It sound like a slip up to me.

I am very politically correct to the point of pissing people off with it BUT the nigger version of the song is the original and the one he would have grown up with and it may have been a slip of the tongue? My mum, who is absolutely colour blind when it comes to race, always has to stop herself singing the original rhyme because it's what she was always used to! I think a sincere apology would probably be enough.

I agree with this. I mean, it possibly followed with a discussion that was like "can you believe we used to sing that?". I wasn't a huge fan of his apology; mumbling it doesn't change much. However, it wasn't used in any sort of purposefully derogatory context and could well have been a slip up considering it was the original lyric of a very popular rhyme (would be very different if he inserted an unoriginal word). I do think he is genuinely mortified and apologetic, Jeremy Clarkson is one of those people who can generally shrug off a controversy (and I'm not his biggest fan). I don't think we should put him in the same boat as those who intentionally belittle and demean another race with their words and actions.

I had no idea that was the original though...jheeze :shock:

I agree it's taken a bit too far. From what I understand he didn't actually say it just mimed it.. The mirror even Had an expert look at the video. Like they were looking for something.
The problem is he has made comments in the past.. Like the latest in a long list of gaffs..

I agree with this. I mean, it possibly followed with a discussion that was like "can you believe we used to sing that?". I wasn't a huge fan of his apology; mumbling it doesn't change much. However, it wasn't used in any sort of purposefully derogatory context and could well have been a slip up considering it was the original lyric of a very popular rhyme (would be very different if he inserted an unoriginal word). I do think he is genuinely mortified and apologetic, Jeremy Clarkson is one of those people who can generally shrug off a controversy (and I'm not his biggest fan). I don't think we should put him in the same boat as those who intentionally belittle and demean another race with their words and actions.

I had no idea that was the original though...jheeze :shock:

I totally agree all this. :thumbup:

You have to be so careful what you say these days,unfortunately some people don't always think before they speak.Its been blown way out of proportion.

I agree. I'm only in my mid 20s and this is exactly the way I know it, I wouldn't have a clue what word is used to replace the 'n' word now. I don't sing it to my children obviously. However, will never ever sing 'baa baa rainbow sheep' to my children, sheep are black or they're white - just political correctness gone mad. He shouldn't be sacked for it, I think it was an honest slip up and he's apologised.

I agree. I'm only in my mid 20s and this is exactly the way I know it, I wouldn't have a clue what word is used to replace the 'n' word now. I don't sing it to my children obviously. However, will never ever sing 'baa baa rainbow sheep' to my children, sheep are black or they're white - just political correctness gone mad. He shouldn't be sacked for it, I think it was an honest slip up and he's apologised.

We grew up knowing it as '...catch a tiger by his toe' :)

I didn't know the original version until all this got blown out of proportion. There are a few silly little rhymes I learnt as a child involving bad language etc that will forever be in my head, I can't help that they are the versions I know. This was from ages ago, the clip wasn't used and people need to find something more important to moan about than a daft middle aged man who made a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->