July Babies!

peacelikeariv - even better, as I understand it "Pram" is short for the old English word, which was "perambulator" - I think we should bring that one back!!

Ha ha. I amd from the UK but I worked in NH, USA for a year a while back and the number of times we all got confused over words that one or the other didnt know!

I also came home saying tub instead of bath, truck instead of lorry and garbage instead of rubbish.

The food ones make me laugh too. We call a scallion a spring onion and we call zucchinis corgettes!!

Is stroller the word for pram and pushchair then? A pram is like a carry cot/moses basket on wheels where the baby lies down and then after 6 months when they can sit up we have a pushchair which is more like a chair on wheels!

Just to confuse you further, in Ireland a scallion is a scallion also!!

Ha ha. I amd from the UK but I worked in NH, USA for a year a while back and the number of times we all got confused over words that one or the other didnt know!

I also came home saying tub instead of bath, truck instead of lorry and garbage instead of rubbish.

The food ones make me laugh too. We call a scallion a spring onion and we call zucchinis corgettes!!

Is stroller the word for pram and pushchair then? A pram is like a carry cot/moses basket on wheels where the baby lies down and then after 6 months when they can sit up we have a pushchair which is more like a chair on wheels!

Ok, a stroller is a pushchair then, because they typically are for the baby to sit up in. I have never seen anyone with a lay down one here except in old movies where it is typically just called a baby buggie. lol I'm not sure if some of our strollers might be convertible so they can lay down if you want. Usually with younger babies we have strollers that are designed like a newborn carseat. (or even that the actual carseat just fits in the stroller).

Do you have the same makes of pram/stroller as us? Such as icandy, bugaboo, phil and teds, etc?

I think scallion is also used up north in the UK too maybe.

Do you have the same makes of pram/stroller as us? Such as icandy, bugaboo, phil and teds, etc?

I think scallion is also used up north in the UK too maybe.

We don't have icandy. A quick search at babiesrus.com shows that we can get bugaboo and phil and teds, although I have not seen them in the actual stores. Most of the ones I've seen here are Greyco, Evenflo, or Safetyfirst. I am honestly not that familiar with them, because I never even owned one with my first, and cant say I intend to own one this time either. If I lived in the city I would want one for sure, but we don't really walk anywhere where we live. lol

Haha, the things we take for granted - like the fact that people talking the same language as us would actually understand what we're talking about and vice versa :lol:

I'd hate to think of the southern/northern differences that I don't even know about let alone those vs the USA! :haha:

Haha, the things we take for granted - like the fact that people talking the same language as us would actually understand what we're talking about and vice versa :lol:

I'd hate to think of the southern/northern differences that I don't even know about let alone those vs the USA! :haha:

Yeah, it varies greatly from region to region here too. I recently moved from Kentucky to Illinois. Not really that big a move at all. They speak a different language here though. For example, in Kentucky we called a fizzy carbonated beverage a "Pop". Here in Illinois it is a "Soda" I've traveled to other places where it was a "Soda-pop". When I lived in California it was a "Coke" even if it wasn't actually a coke. I know that sounds dumb, but you would ask me if I wanted a Coke, and I would say "sure" and you would say "What kind? Sprite? Pepsi?" lol :dohh:

I love that about BnB, everythings different in little ways in different places :) I always forget and think everyone is from where i am lol

Think I've finally decided on a pram. Reckon we will be getting the uppababy vista. Had a lovely day pram shopping with mum and just need to take my husband to see it at the weekend.

and to add to the confusion up here in Canada we have different words for things than both the UK and USA. :flower:

Think I've finally decided on a pram. Reckon we will be getting the uppababy vista. Had a lovely day pram shopping with mum and just need to take my husband to see it at the weekend.

That's what I got and I can't wait to use it!!! :)

I have a question for you ladies, At my last appt. my OB said that she won't let me go over a week past my due date with my first two it was two weeks, anyway she told me that after one week the rate of complications for the baby went up to 50% anyone else heard this?

I have a question for you ladies, At my last appt. my OB said that she won't let me go over a week past my due date with my first two it was two weeks, anyway she told me that after one week the rate of complications for the baby went up to 50% anyone else heard this?

I always thought babies could come 2 weeks either way of the due date, meaning 2 weeks over is still considered "safe" but I know they dont like going too long as the placenta starts to deteriorate.

Ok, a stroller is a pushchair then, because they typically are for the baby to sit up in. I have never seen anyone with a lay down one here except in old movies where it is typically just called a baby buggie. lol I'm not sure if some of our strollers might be convertible so they can lay down if you want. Usually with younger babies we have strollers that are designed like a newborn carseat. (or even that the actual carseat just fits in the stroller).

there are strollers like that here in the states, they can lay back for a newborn and then they can sit up for older children too :)
I havent heard about that Try4girl.. I know people who have gone 3 weeks past due date and baby has been perfectly fine.. dont let the doctors scare you. If there is a problem THEN worry, but until there is a problem your body and your babys body are ready when they are ready.

Try4, I know that where I live there was no set deadline on going overdue -- they just monitored closely and induced if there were problems with the placenta or the baby seemed distressed. In the past few years, though, they've changed it so that induction is booked for exactly 10 days past term. Hope that isn't something any of us will have to deal with!!

Anybody else feel the baby turning over? Up until today I'm pretty sure Tiddler was breech -- all the kicks were coming very low on the left side. Today I could actually feel him flip, though; it was the strangest feeling. Now he's kicking high and to the right.

try4girl here they start to interfere if you're a week overdue, but you can request otherwise. i'm totally happy with that though as bub is measuring in the 96th percentile for size so i'm hoping he comes a little early!! but if you want something else then tell them, it's you body and your baby.

invivoveritas i had that a couple of weeks ago. i was sure he was lying transverse, and so was the physio, then he felt all squirmy for a day or two (was very weird, like worms under my skin or something). i had a scan on tuesday and he's now head down (so down that we couldn't get a look at his face!) and i get kicks up top or slightly to my left. i think he's looking for the way out already, impatient little thing.

Ive only felt her kick on my right side.. I never feel the hard kicks anywhere else.. anyone else think thats odd? I feel light movements on my right side but Im starting to wonder if shes just content or if something might be wrong...

Has anyone else had light cramping with increased movement? She's been moving like crazy the last 2 days and I feel a little more crampy than usual, nothing painful just annoying. I'm thinking in might be round ligaments stretching as well.

Has anyone else had light cramping with increased movement? She's been moving like crazy the last 2 days and I feel a little more crampy than usual, nothing painful just annoying. I'm thinking in might be round ligaments stretching as well.

yeah I have been noticing this too... for some reason more in the evening time.

Here they only let you go 10 days overdue before they induce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->