July Jelly Beans of 2014! *16 pink bumps, 18 blue bumps, 8 yellow bumps** (24 here)

I am sorry for your loss sunflower.

I lost my gpa last July. I would love to honor him with our son's name but his name was Larry and we share the same middle name which I also dislike. Hubby and I have considered using his surname but are unsure. There must be something in thr air as we were discussing yesterday how we were not feeling connected to the name anymore. I think we may make a list of 3 names and decide at thr birth which one to go with. That will get a lot of panties bunched as we already have sent out the name. Oh well we have to live a lifetime with it.

Wait...you're family is mad about your baby having OH's surname? That's ridiculous!!! He's her dad!!!

This baby has my ex's last name, only because I kept my married name after the separation. I don't plan to change it back. This one is the lesser or two evils and also my kids' last name.

I'm so sorry for your loss Sunflower.

I love all the names Brandi, at least you have some in mind. DH and I cannot decide on anything so now we literally have no names :(

Brandi because me n my oh not bein married they worried he will have more rights which is true .. So for my parents sake we makin a contract so we have equal rights lol sounds complex haha

That's ridiculous! My ex and I were not married when our oldest was born (11 months into the relationship) and regardless of whose name she had, we were equally her parents and equal decision makers. Not having his last name would just be a pain in the ass, but even if she didn't, the fact that he raises her, regardless of paternity, would give him equal rights to her. My ex is not my youngest daughter's biological father but he's raised her since birth. Even if I wanted to take him out of her life (which I don't), I couldn't, because by law, he IS her father. He is the one who has helped raise her, who she calls Daddy. Even proving through a DNA test that he's not the father wouldn't take his equal rights away. Neither would her biological father showing up and demanding rights take it away.

I'm sorry you're having to do that for the sake of your parents. Sounds like they just don't want him involved or are already anticipating a separation. They need to start including and accepting him more. He's going to be there for the rest of her life. Sounds very complicated and unnecessary and just confusing for the child. Sorry you're having to go through that. And sorry if that sounds kind of harsh. My family is (kind of) the same way with my ex.

Not takin it harsh lol u right my family doesn't like him I don't know if its different here but I definitely know that if she has his surname I have to ask for permission .. Before I take her overseas etc .. But we didn't even think bout it , itwas just brought up like everythin else .. I'm sure familyare also the reason why some people get divorsed .. Lol I hope my daughter has an easier life and I'm not hard on her like my dad was on me .. Just made me suffer more .. N the sad part is he might not even b able to stay with me in the first month .. I hope he can .. Its a lil hard here as we get no benefits n salaries r terrible that why we arent livin together sorry essay ..

Names are really getting to my self and DH. We had a girls name picked that we both are completely in love with (picked it a few years ago) but seriously can't decide on a boys name! We like Liam but are not in love with it which makes me rethink it but when I try there's nothing else I've heard/come accross that I even like.
Gah! I knew this baby was going to be difficult- just like his mumma! Lol

Are there specific origins you like in regards to names, BabyDoll? Like Greek, Welsh, Gaelic, Biblical, etc? Maybe start there?

My DH is adamant it can't be obviously biblical. But as far as origin goes were pretty open. It seems that everything he likes, I don't and everything I like, he doesn't.

My ex and I were like that. Couldn't agree on a name at all. Neither of us are religious, but I've always been in love with Biblical boys names, so I went out on a limb and suggested picking a name from the Bible. He said it couldn't be ridiculous like Enoch or something, and I suggested Josiah and Elijah which he shot down, but when I suggested Isaiah, turned out, it was the only book in the Bible he liked so that ended up being his name. Isaiah Michael Phoenix

That's really cool Brandi. I had been asking for Noah but DH says it's too obvious it's from the bible and Oliver (the only other name I like) but DH says all he can think of is Oliver's twist.? And other rediculous things like that.
So at this stage we both like Liam and the middle name will be Thomas (after DH's dad as it's a tradition on his side and I don't mind it).

We had a shortlist of 4 names and then one of our friends used one unknowingly (Alexis) and we decided we didn't want ry
rhyming names (Amelia and Ophelia) so we've now got 2 of our original list and some extras were choosing between. We decided in advance we didn't want to chose until the delivery room though.

Wow Charlie, Ophelia is a beautiful name! As are your other choices.

I love yours too Brandi.

Babydoll, Liam is lovely too. I had the same problem with my DH when it came to picking a girl's name. I like old English names, and he wanted something that sounded Spanish. We've compromised on Elena Christina for a girl, and just praying no one out of our close friends calls their LO Elena in the meantime as we literally could not agree on any other names! For a boy it was easy, as we have both said for years if we have a boy we'd call him Alfie.

However we have not told anyone our name choices as we want to announce officially once the baby arrives. Also, we may change our minds :)

Morning Ladies,

Moltal, I think you have to do a bit of research, because being from South Africa, I have to admit, that what you are saying does not make sense.

All fathers have rights, whether their kids have their surname or not.

I take my eldest brother for example, he has only 1 kid with his ex, they never ever got married, however my nephew has not got his surname, however, he has equal rights with his ex, they discuss everything where it comes to my nephew, they split all the bills 50/50 where his concerned etc,

I think its your understanding and wanting to co parent that actually makes your situation different.

My sister on the other hand, her son, has his fathers name and they also have never been married, and my sister pays for everything, as the father has not really been interested in the childs life, until recently, he has another baby from another girl, and that is his focus. However he gets to see my nephew every 2nd weekend, and a few weeks in the holidays, and birthdays, xmas etc they share.

In both situations, both my sister and my brothers ex has to have the permission of the fathers to take the child out of the country. So it does not matter whether they have the surname or not.

Me personally, I would give my child their fathers surname, especially if it was a boy.

Im just lucky to be married right now, so I dont have to worry about things like that.

I also, think that especially if you come from a family with very strict morals and a strict upbringing, it will be harder on you, as they want to make the decisions for you.

I too come from a very strict upbringing, and believe me, I had no party when I started dating my hubby, my dad and brothers gave him a hard time, but 14 years later, we are as happy as can be, and my dad and brothers have all accepted him now.

My dad is from the old school, where his girls were not allowed to have boys as friends, and we were not allowed to date, and only have girls as friends, and stay in doors. So we did what we needed to do and snuck around till we got caught, and eventually I moved out, when I was finished with high school, started working, and we moved in together, at which point, I defied my daddy and his rules, and he didnt speak to me for a few years, but now we are best friends again.... :)

I have a step son and here both parents must inform the other prior to taking him out of the country. I think that's fair enough really. Other than that whilst the law views both parents as having equal responsibility it is a fact that courts will always favour the mother (or rather the residential parent which is usually always the mother). Certainly watching the court situation with my step-son has shown that to be the case. If a mother wants to make things difficult as regards contact then generally speaking the father has to jump through hoops - previously married or not. It's a tragedy.

On a lighter note - we're still umming and ahhing over names. Oonagh, (pronounced Oo-na) is an old gaelic name which i loved but which my entire family don't like and which DF is lukewarm on. The middle name is definitely Elsie after my granny....it might even end up being her first name. Dunno!

Linny, Elsie would make a lovely first name our favourite girls name but having a boy! He'll have a biblical name Elijah and Ezra are our top names so far!

We're starting to have name issues too! It must be the timing for all of us. We decided on Isabel Ann...Isabel is my name (Elizabeth) in Spanish and the name I used in Spanish class for 6 years. Ann is for my mom JoAnn. Our older daughter is Olivia Mary, Mary for DH's mom and we just both loved Olivia. Now my DH is worried that Isabel will be nicknamed Izzy, which we don't like. Plus his brother has a dog Isabella and they call her Izzy (the dog is 7 so it's not like it will be around forever). I just can't think of another name that's similar in nature to Olivia plus the meaning is nice (devoted to God).

The rest of our list of names is a complete secret. My friends upset because I had told them the list then they talked me out of Ophelia because it rhymed with my step-daughter's name Amelia.
We've now got a list of 6 although hubby is not really a huge fan of one. We have some cross over on favourites so she won't end up nameless lol.

My son is Isaiah and he gets shortened to Izzy a lot. I looked up names meaning "devoted to God" and the closest ones to Olivia or Isabel are:

Ailsie
Annaliese
Elsie
Gabriella
Lisa or Lise

Or even change up the spelling of Isabel to Ysabel and if it gets shortened, correct people. My cousin is Isabel and she gets called Belle or Bella.

I also looked up names meaning Consecrated to God and found:

Ailsa
Eilis (form of Elizabeth too)
Elise
Elyssa
Kaia-Lise

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members